Lucifer heatwave

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
wollie
Resident

Re: Lucifer heatwave

Postby wollie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:42 pm

I have being reading on media and here that temps mid 40s and i try el-tiempo and it says mid 30s?
I just wanted to get confirmation from the man who knows everything.

many thanks....

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:54 pm

According to the Met Office it was 41c yesterday, but today it is currently 37c.

Yes, as CC said, it is often in the 40s and best to assume the worst but it does seem to be cooling down for a couple of days.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Flexo wrote:
BTW, I am a trained professional to work outdoors in high temperatures with safety gear. I have taken courses. The disrespect you and others have shown me on this forum is truly adorable.

I am not challenging what you have said because it is technically correct. I said that in an earlier post and just pointed out, that while correct, it was irrelevant and confusing. I stand by that statement. I, at least, gave a link to a Wiki article which I hoped might explain the complexities of the subject to other members.

You say we are not discussing 30c. Really? That is exactly what Peter quoted (and he was the only person to mention humidity) and I did the heat index calculation on his figures. I don't think any of us are interested in what happens in extreme climates.

I would remind you that this forum section is about Living in Andalucia, not some tropical swamp in Borneo or half way up the Amazon.

I am not aware that anyone has shown any disrespect to you, certainly not me, but as you say that you find it adorable you must be happy with it.

Sid

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:32 pm

I haven't recorded a 40 degs or above this year despite how warm it feels. Maximum temperature so far this summer was 39.1 on 24 July. I'm at 600m AMSL.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:41 pm

We had 36.7c on that day. We have only recorded over 40c on 4 occasions in the last 10 years and the highest was 41.4c.

Sid

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:50 pm

The problem, and this has been discussed before, is that most people record temperature incorrectly. All my friends have been telling me its been over 40 for weeks now. Mostly use car thermometers which are unbelievably inaccurate or the street or chemist signs. One friend recently swore blind it was 55 because that's what it said on the car thermometer when she got back to it. At the moment my weather station is showing 36 and the car, parked in shade, is showing 38.
In 9 years I've only had 9 readings over 40 with the highest 41.7.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:57 pm

Yes, I agree with you. Some people have a thermometer in full sun and try to convince you it was 50c.

I have my instruments in a homemade Stevenson screen well away from the house in clear air about 2m above the ground. The wind instruments are on a pole about 4m high, again well away from any interference.

Sid

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:30 pm

A friend who lives in Churriana de la Vega says they have had temps in the low 40's for five days on the trot now but cooling a bit by wednesday.
I So Bella tis you

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:32 pm

El Cid wrote: I am not challenging what you have said because it is technically correct. I said that in an earlier post and just pointed out, that while correct, it was irrelevant and confusing. I stand by that statement. I, at least, gave a link to a Wiki article which I hoped might explain the complexities of the subject to other members.
You clearly didn't understand it, if you re-read my posts you see that it doesn't conflict with my statements at all.
You say we are not discussing 30c. Really? That is exactly what Peter quoted (and he was the only person to mention humidity) and I did the heat index calculation on his figures. I don't think any of us are interested in what happens in extreme climates.
No, I clearly stated 36C and I clearly stated the problem is the combination of high temperature and high air humidity. Even though I did not state for certainty exactly what relative humidity the lethal limit was, it is clear on both the wiki page and the table on the page you linked. The table at the page you linked CLEARLY states the extreme danger limit is 36C/70% and higher % reads lower temperature (d'oh!).
I would remind you that this forum section is about Living in Andalucia, not some tropical swamp in Borneo or half way up the Amazon.
Yes, but both the temperatures and the relative air humidity on the table is present here in Andalucia, even though often not on the same places and not for many hours. Besides, the post I was replying to was about Murcia, not Andalucia.
I am not aware that anyone has shown any disrespect to you, certainly not me, but as you say that you find it adorable you must be happy with it.
You don't think it is disrespectful to discredit someones professional knowledge of a particular subject without even offering a scientific claim?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Now now girls! At the end of the day noone needs any instruments to tell them it us hot and stivky, and I for one have never heard of anyone simply dying in these conditions!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Flexo wrote:[

You don't think it is disrespectful to discredit someones professional knowledge of a particular subject without even offering a scientific claim?
No one has discredited your professional knowledge, least of all me.

I suggest we close this conversation now as it is not achieving anything, so no further posts about it please.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 am

It is difficult to get an accurate reading and even the so called weather station clocks we have indoors are not always accurate I don't think. Our living room reached an alleged 33 last night and the conservatory was over 40 before we opened the doors and let the heat out but the flies in :) All I know is that I feel horribly hot and damp all the time ..... I don't need a thermometer to tell me that!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:25 am

Most of the digital thermometers are pretty accurate - probably +/- 1c. You should try putting two side by side and see if they agree. They give good readings indoors, but it's when you try and measure the outside temperature that it gets more difficult as there are so many factors that can affect the readings.

You're right, it's the humidity that feels worse - it's that constant dripping down into your eyes which I hate. The temperatures in August are generally about the same as July but it tends to always be more humid and that's why most people complain that August is so uncomfortable.

Sid

wembason420
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wembason420 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:04 pm

What a difference a day makes!! Met a friend for a coffee in Algarrobo yesterday and it was a very pleasant 29 degrees and a nice breeze......Just met him again in same cafe and already a very hot 38+ degrees and no breeze.....in fact felt quite oppressive even though very close to the sea

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:19 pm

That's because we have the terral today - a yellow alert was issued yesterday by AEMET.

http://www.diariosur.es/malaga-capital/ ... 29-nt.html

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Wicksey wrote:It is difficult to get an accurate reading and even the so called weather station clocks we have indoors are not always accurate I don't think. Our living room reached an alleged 33 last night and the conservatory was over 40 before we opened the doors and let the heat out but the flies in :) All I know is that I feel horribly hot and damp all the time ..... I don't need a thermometer to tell me that!
If it's hot inside your house anyway, isn't a conservatory the worst possible thing you could have for making it hotter still?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:40 pm

We keep the front door and window into it shut so the heat doesn't get into the house too much, but it is wonderful for the rest of the year :thumbup: There are many days when the house is really cold in the winter and without it we would be sitting indoors with heater or the log fire on, but as long as there's a little sun it is a very pleasant temperature in there. It is great for about 8 months of the year so we think it's worth it! As this house has no insulation whatsoever, it is too hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:10 pm

The weather here had a dramatic change this afternoon. After a really humid, sweaty start in the morning, at about 6pm the wind got up from the west and the temperature is still about 38c at 8pm, however the humidity is now only 2% which is about as low as it can go and the lowest I have ever recorded. It's a bit like being in a tumble drier!

It's amazing how quickly it can change.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:35 pm

Keep it coming, everyone, this thread is the perfect panacea to spending my first summer in the UK in more years than I can remember. The only thing I have to think in the morning is, do I take an umbrella, or do I feel reckless enough to go out with just a rain jacket! :wave:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:43 pm

38 tonight at Malaga airport on car . You may say it was only 32 but it felt like 50