Weather

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Weather

Postby IreneD » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Can anyone explain to me why the weather forecasts always seem to err on the side of caution? For example, Accuweather has me happy that the temperatures are going to be reasonable and then, after the event, the 'actual temps' are much higher. For instance, it is saying that today is 30C but tomorrow, with the 'actual temperatures' you can bet your boots it will be much higher. Even Aemet is the same. I don't get it.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/es/canil ... her/302037

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Weather

Postby olive » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:41 pm

and yet they managed to forecast to within a couple of decimal points the recent record breaking high temps.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm

From my experience, Accuweather rarely gets temperature right - but then neither do most of the computerized forecasts. About all you can deduce from them is whether it is going to be higher or lower than the previous day.This is the site I prefer to use.

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/latest-mod ... -ncep.html

They also have a good app available, especially if you pay for the premium one.

This one is good too.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=36.72;-3.69;7&l=wind&m=gfs

Sid

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Thanks Sid.....am liking the Ventusky Site
I So Bella tis you

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 pm

Thank you so much, Sid! Weathercast looks much more realistic than Accuweather. The other one is interesting, looks a different way of doing the forecasts. It's a bit late now, I'll have a better look tomorrow. No more grumbling at Accuweather for me :)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:05 am

Looks like we might be getting some proper rain at last - on Sunday/Monday. That will be a welcome change!

Sid

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Yes, indeed! That will be wonderful! I get very excited, those first rains after the Summer lol. I have a photo of me standing in the rain outside our front door, last year, in September, blissfully enjoying getting soaked :)

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:45 pm

I did that a couple of weeks back. Got all exited and then it stopped after 90 seconds. Long enough for the cat to take refuge under the terrace though!

Rather ironic as back home there have been flash floods this morning. Doesnt seem to have stopped raining all summer there

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:09 pm

olive wrote:and yet they managed to forecast to within a couple of decimal points the recent record breaking high temps.
Are you talking about Accuweather, Olive? As I said yesterday, I find their forecasts way out. As I suspected, the forecast for yesterday - 30C - has now been superceded by the actual temperature (on their August month chart) of 40C!

Elusive, we did have a bit of a shower at night, recently, here in the mountains but not enough to get me excited :lol:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:35 am

AEMET have activated a warning of the possibility of very heavy rain in Málaga province from Monday onwards, so you may get rather more of it than you'd like!

http://www.diariosur.es/malaga/meteorol ... 43-nt.html

As the final paragraph shows, this has actually been (comparatively) quite a cool summer.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:44 am

It's a "Gota Fria" - rare here, but very common on the east coast. Can be horrendous!

Sid

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Eeek! From one extreme to another!

So....it's been a cool Summer, FAL ? (comparitively speaking). I guess I must just forget each year how hot the Summers are. Or I don't cope with 'em as well, as I get older. To me, it's been really sweltering this year and I have been a hermit for a good part of it.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Well, the article does say that both July and August have been "suave" and that we haven't had cooler maximum summer temperatures than these since 2010. Personally I haven't found it as hot this year as in some earlier years.

"Al igual que ocurrió en julio, de momento agosto está siendo un mes suave, especialmente comparado con años anteriores. En cuanto a las máximas no había uno tan fresco desde 2010; mientras que las mínimas y medias se corresponden con el 2013."

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Oh yes, I wouldn't argue with the facts. It's just how I've felt this year - hated it more than usual, must just be my ability to deal with it, rather than the actual temperatures. :(

On my 60th birthday, we went on a family camping holiday to Lake Garda. OH and I flew to Italy and the family mainly drove down, through beautiful, green countryside, stopping at beautiful camp sites along the way. The temperatures in Italy that year happened to be way up in the 40s. I was as happy as Larry lol! We'd unfortunately got the most dreadful spot on the camp site, squeezed into a dusty corner and some of the family, who were sharing our tent were gobsmacked when they arrived and saw cheerful me. We'd been there a week so were used to the heat and general squalor :lol:

That was 11 years ago - I'd be a nightmare if I was plonked there now, lol.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:15 am

elusive, not sure where "back home" is for you but, down here in the South East UK we have had a pretty reasonable summer. We had two very hot periods back in late May and late June when the temps were in the low 30s which is rather unpleasant when we are not really equipped for such extremes! :(

This week it has been overcast each morning with the sun breaking through in the afternoon with max temperatures of 22C - perfect!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Well it is still blooming HOT over here in Huelva - we got all excited a few weeks ago when a big cloud came over - 16 drops was about all we got and not enough to even lay the dust. We have the joy of a few clouds about today but the humidity level at 35ºC is a bit unbearable! Oh for a good downpour so we can do an IreneD and stand outside getting soaked!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:59 pm

A drop of 7 or 8 degrees will be welcome for me East of Malaga. A little break would be nice for a few days, although its not as bad as some previous years.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:20 pm

Up north! in gods own county Masterob and dont say lancashire :lol: Although family down south have been complaining aswell even though hey have heck knows how many hols a year A nice inbetween would be good everything is very much an extreme when it comes to the weather here and in the U.K

I dont think its been as hot at night as other years. We have had maybe a week or so in june when it was not far off 30 at night but other than that it has cooled down (25) more late evening/night than i remeber the last few years. Sleeping hasnt been to bad although we bought a portable aircon for the bedroom which has helped to cool the room for an hour before going tp bed. just a shame its to noisey to leave on through the night.

Today it looked cloudy but thats not lasted long and its sweltering now. The humidity must be really high which is worse than anything.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:31 pm

According to this the humidity is very high which is why I think it feels a lot worse to us.

http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/predicc ... #detallada

From regularly watching the long Spanish weather prog in the afternoons they are often saying that record temperatures have been recorded this summer, often up in the 40s. The other day an overnight low of 30 degrees was recorded in one of the Canary islands (Gran Canaria I think) which must be very rare as it normally has a more even climate and doesn't usually get as hot as here.

Whether it is our increasing age I don't know, but we both have found it unbearable this last few weeks as we've had very high humidity. Our friends are the same (similar age to us and the female half of the couple like me, suffering for an under-active thyroid too which apparently stops the body regulating its temperature). We tend to leave puddles wherever we sit .... yuk !! I have felt quite ill at times despite drinking a lot of water and I now also drink rehydration fluids which I must say has made me feel a little better. I think I am just washing all the salts out of me as as we don't add salt to food we are probably a bit dehydrated even with the water we are constantly drinking.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Wicksey, we really love salty food and I am craving it even more in this hot weather. I know salt is one of those things that is either good or bad for you, depending on the ideas of the moment but I've never cut back. I think my dad influenced me - his food always had a little white hill of salt on - and he lived to be 90.

Sid, what do you think of this facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/MeteoGib/ ? (I think you still have your facebook account) I've just been scrolling down their page. Very interesting graphics and charts there. I am sooooo looking forward to the rain! More dancing in the rain for me coming up! :thumbup: