waste dumping

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Alanandjan
Tourist

waste dumping

Postby Alanandjan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:26 am

Good morning all,

I have a property in Villanueva del Rosario. I am about to do some renovation work and I need to know if there are any recycling centres in the area where I can take bags of rubble, old patio furniture etc. I don't mind taking it myself even if its in a different town. I have emailed the town hall as I am still in the UK but not sure if they where on holiday in August as to date they have not replied.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: waste dumping

Postby Enrique » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:05 am

Hi Alanandjan.
Welcome to The Forum............... :D

Do a Google search......... punto limpio provincia malaga

Archidona or Antequera Look to be your closest ones...........
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:43 pm

I hope you have the necessary licencia de obras, as you have made sure the Ayuntamiento are aware of your planned work?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Alanandajan,
Welcome ... :wave:
There are several options open to you.
Take to municipal tip...There may be a charge.( a good person to ask for info is the local road sweeper if
you have one, or any council worker.)
Leave any usable furniture etc by the local bins.
Most Town halls have an arrangement usually twice a month for you to leave any unwanted / recyclable
items on the street and it will be collected by private collectors.
Or order a skip, not that expensive and have all of your rubbish removed in one easy swoop !
Hope that helps....
Regards,
Gordon

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi, Welcome to the asylum. Any metal objects placed near your bins will be gone in the morning. Most towns have a man who drives around collecting scrap.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:43 pm

I believe there is an unwritten convention about discarding electrical items. If it doesn't work, you cut off the plug. If it works (but you don't want it) leave the plug on.

We have the usual recycling bins at the bottom of our campo road. If you leave anything remotely useful or recyclable, it goes in minutes.We do have a regular man with trailer who picks up a lot of stuff and dismantles most of it before he takes it away, leaving the bits he doesn't want. I seem to remember that in the past in the UK we called them Totters.

There are many occasions where people leave building rubble or garden waste and it all gets picked up within a few days by the council employed rubbish trucks.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:27 pm

We called them rag and bone men when we were kids. The saying came from my old nan.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:56 pm

There are many names for the 'collectors', the old fashioned UK name is Rag and Bone Merchants (Steptoe & Son ), however they've moved on a lot since then.
In France they are called 'Gleaners' and it is a recognised trade...I don't care what they are called or who they are as long as they recycle as much as possible and the items don't end up in some landfill site. :thumbup:
Regards,
Gordon the Womble... :lol:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:13 pm

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:00 pm

I remember as a child going on the local rubbish tip with my Dad (in the days when you could do this & not be ticked off by the blokes from the company that runs it ;-) ) - Dad called it 'totting', & I recall we got a nice working dynamo for my newly refurbished bike :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:47 am

Over here in Huelva province each town seems to have to provide an official and manned recycling centre for large things like sofas, patio sets, mattresses etc, metallic scrap, electrical goods and vegetation (prunnings and garden waste) - there is a very large notice at the end of our campo road where our bins are explaining the penalties for leaving all these kinds of things by or in the bins. (by the way we do not have recycling bins at the end of the road and have to drop off our normal recyclables like plastics and papers and glass,at the nearest dedicated bins in town!)
Also each town has a dumping site for inert building rubble -which may or may-not be for contractors only - ours is accessible to the public for smallish amounts (eg fit in a car-towed trailer) - again it is manned and all stuff for dumping is checked.

Alanandjan
Tourist

Postby Alanandjan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:37 am

Thank you to everyone who replied. Not sure about Steptoe driving past the end of the road:) I will check on Archidona to see if its feasible to dump rubbish there. I am surprised there is not a lot of fly tipping in the area.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:07 pm

When we wanted to dump our old mattresses we went to the local punto limpia and they said they couldn't take them and just shrugged their shoulders when we asked what to do with them. The lady there made a phone call and she said we should leave them by the local big bin store and someone will take them away. There used to be a sign warning of huge fines for leaving rubbish there, but I see that's gone and in its place are two skips ... much more sensible option as they are being used and it stops the piles of rubbish being just left on the ground in the bin area.

scs3jb
Tourist

Postby scs3jb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:12 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I hope you have the necessary licencia de obras, as you have made sure the Ayuntamiento are aware of your planned work?
This is what you are supposed to do. When you obtain one in the office, they will ask you if you need to rent a skip and pay the couple of euros for storing it on the street (was like 3 euros a metre of space a day or something daft). It will get picked up and disposed off, iirc.

hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hangoverocks » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:04 pm

I am the next Province to you (Granada), but yesterday I went to the local Ecoparque, which is a kind of Recycling centre like you find in the UK, Andalucia calls these "Puntos Limpios", but they are for domestic trash (I saw a window casement, doors etc), not builders rubble.
If you are reforming a house you will probably need building permission, I have recently finished building a new house and "management of waste" is one of the requirements for which a certificate (of correct waste-dumping) is needed in order to gain the Building licence. We threw away 300 tonnes of earth and rock during demolition and excavation and our contractor provided us with the necessary certificate. We need a second certificate for the management of building waste generated during the construction phase.
You will find-out easier if you visit your Town Hall and ask; they would probably be on holiday in August.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:56 am

You should be in the campo .... they just dump it all down the hillside here. Recently watched a lorry removing tons of earth from a house that is being drastically reformed near us and the lorry drove down the hill a bit and dumped its load down a barranco. Things never change!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:41 pm

Wicksey i know what you mean and that is one thing that i dont like about Spain..Those who just throw their rubbish anywhere have no care or respect..

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:56 pm

I have seen UK news reports of dreadful fly tipping though. One lorry shed its load right along the middle of a country lane blocking it, which I found unbelievable. It seems to be a problem everywhere. At least here if you leave things by the communal bins then it is taken away, but it annoys us that locals chuck their rubbish out onto the campo roads on the way down to the main road where there are bins.

Alanandjan
Tourist

Postby Alanandjan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Thanks again for all of your replies. I ended up emailing the town hall in Archidona that did seem to have a recycling centre. They have given me the days they are open. Having looked a the pictures it does seen to be not much bigger than the local bin site at our village. I'm not convinced they will take everything but I will take some of the larger items and check it out when I'm there :crazy:

I am not carrying out a lot of building work but had some bricks, old Yesso etc that I wanted to dispose of responsibly rather than just putting it in the bins.
Alan

cerrillo
Tourist

Postby cerrillo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi, Just to let you know that in Rosario the last weekend of every month there is a very large skip which is placed down the side road just past the pool and the football stadium, near to where the Aspromanis viveros (garden centre) is. You can leave all manner of items there to be disposed of.
As I say its only the last weekend of each month, but there is a Punto Limpio in VVa del Trabuco just down the road, but I have never used it so am not sure exactly where it is. Would have replied before but I keep forgetting to login.

Regards