catalan

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
wollie
Resident

catalan

Postby wollie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:23 am

Just watching on the TV.
Whats happening here?
Do people here think this vote should be allowed?
Also what be likely outcome?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: catalan

Postby costakid » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:05 am

result is irrelevant apparently as the vote is illegal.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:50 am

You could do worse than read this El Pais newsletter (in English) as there a number of articles there about it all.

http://p8tre.emv3.com/HM?b=vcl4d7U6tkl1 ... jT_uLeagAw

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:24 pm

My newsagent was watching the news on tv when I popped round for my MoS, and just commented that it was "politics, just like England has with Scotland". Of course the Catalans do not have a Jimmy Krankie to lead them...
Last edited by peteroldracer on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:15 pm

Sid,

Thanks for link all the info there..

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:49 pm

costakid wrote:result is irrelevant apparently as the vote is illegal.
A sizeable expression of democratic feeling is never irrelevant, especially when a ruling government says so.
Chris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:42 pm

From what I have read at least both sides seem to have avoided the outright lies told by both sides in the Brexit campaign. Opinions are fine, blatant lies to hoodwink voters are not, IMHO.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Peter, the natiionlists have lied promising the all the same benefits that were offered by the scots and the Brexiteers when we know from experience it is all a leap into the unknown. So many aspects would depend on negotiations between the two governments. As it is The EU would be a problem because membership would be highly unlikely on the basis that independence was not accepted by Spain,

Even the Barcalona football team situation would need to be resolved. The separatists think they could still play in the Liga and it is possible but FIFI might turn around and say they can’t and they will have to play in a newly formed Catalan league.

Both sides need to hang their heads in shame. The Catalan natiolists must have known that by forcing a referendum, the Spanish government would resist it this time.

At the same time the over the top force by the Spanish police has no place in modern politics. Some of the pictures in the media are sickening and remind me of the violence I saw in Bilbao 30 years ago and thought would never see again.
Rajoy has played into the hands of the nationlist who will surely now gain support from the international community and maybe even worse, from non nationalists in Catalonia.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:05 pm

Breaking news: The city of Barcelona is set to declare independence, followed by the barrio Gotico, followed by Snr y Sta Gomez of Carrer de Pujades, and so it goes-----------nowhere !!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:23 am

I cannot understand are staying silent on this as it seems in a sense the same as Brexit.
The government of Catalonia should have being made aware of what forming a republic
would mean if they choose to do this.
It is big problem for EU and though it is difficult to get involved in internal politics saying
nothing is not really an option.
There are quite a few regions in Europe who would like to be self-governing.
I noticed there were a few observers from other European countries.
If this was in Illegal vote as declared by the Spanish government i wonder why were they here...

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:36 pm

Shocking scenes going round the world. Police brutality of the national police. Even fighting with firefighters. Today Fire Brigade holding protest against the police. No matter what side you are on, nobody could condone the police violence
Everybody commenting on it. Leaders of all parties describing the police violence and lack of diplomacy from Rajoy unbelievable. Also Deputy Pm came on and defended the special forces professionalism. Everybody I know say that it does not look like a scene from a EU country

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:30 pm

I am thinking the "catalan game" over...
We see within a week...

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Yup !!

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:18 pm

The Catalan game is not a game at all. It's deathly serious and could have really dire results, including more injuries and possibly fatalities.
The Constitutional Court has ruled the Catalan parliament to remain closed next week, a pointless exercise to try to prevent a declaration of UDI.
This action will be rejected by Catalans as they will consider that they have no duty to obey the constitutional court after the 90% vote to become independent.
There needs to be some proper high level talks and discussions or there could be a civil war. Last time there was a civil war in Spain there were more people died than have died recently in Syria.
The North of Spain will become a military zone and tourism will cease.
Conflicts like this, when they occur, are very unpredictable and quickly spread. If someone doesn't get a grip soon, Spain could be a horrible place to be stuck in.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 am

When i use the term "game over" i mean the Catalan people in my opinion have made a major error of judgement in saying we can selfishly go alone.
They have lost their credibility in Spain and thorought Europe, how can they really expect to selfishly go alone since quite a bit of their economy is tourism if there is not stability who will want to go there.
I read a few days ago that Barcalona have suggested they may play in Premier league of French football and that other leagues be lining up to have them,
fair play to *beep* Wenger (why is his first name beep) who said that Scottish clubs would need to be accepted before this option be considered.
I am hoping the people of Catalan will soon come to their senses as they clearly do not seem to see what they are at.
The trouble on Sunday was terrible but even though i do not condone if the election was illegal it needed to be dealt with.
If they want to declare independence, does anyone know what is the process? is it just as simple we are a new Republic surely not..

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:56 am

wollie, as it is an extra-constitutional action there is no such process. So after the over-reaction of the police being sent in to crack a few heads, of people peacefully demonstrating and voting, (Over 700 treated at hospitals), I'll be happy to see them break away from such a repressive regime. If they just say "I divorce you" three times, that may be OK. Anyone supporting the government stance on this, after the police and Guardia actions is defending the indefensible, so good luck to anyone who wishes to do that!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:12 pm

I do not understand the politics of it and i agree let them go it alone..

Capitan-Roberto
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Capitan-Roberto » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:40 pm

wollie wrote:They have lost their credibility in Spain and thorought Europe, ..
Don't know about Spain, but definitely still holding onto credibility in many parts of Europe.

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:46 pm

White Horse wrote:............ Anyone supporting the government stance on this, after the police and Guardia actions is defending the indefensible, ..............
White Horse fully agree with you sentiments. It seems clear to me that most in Catalunya did not want full independance. But Rajoy has now pushed them leaving them with no option.

I only imagine Rajoy's end game is invasion (no fight, just take control of government functions and imprison anyone who he finds unhelpful). Well if he thinks he can repeat what Franco managed I feel very sorry for all of Spain :sick:
El raton de watford

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:59 am

Just watching now a programme on Al Jazeera which says tve is controlled by the Madrid/Spanish government and that tv3 controlled by Catalan ruling government.
The programme said that the appointment of the heads of both channels are made by the ruling government of the time, it also says that the rules were changed in 2012, up until then there needed be 2/3 of the political vote to make an appointment and this was changed so as they can appoint who they wish and both are just fallowing a political agenda.
The part about Spain was just both channels were broadcasting the message their political bosses wanted out there, interesting...