Health Service Prescription Charges

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Parilla
Resident

Health Service Prescription Charges

Postby Parilla » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:54 am

As I understand it, If you receive Spanish state healthcare, and you are in receipt of a UK state pension, then prescription charges are 10% of cost providing your income is below Euros 100,000 pa. Could anyone confirm if this is correct ?

Parilla

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Re: Health Service Prescription Charges

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:19 am

There is no "set price" like in the UK, but my dad's medication is less than 10% of the price after he registered with the inss as a pensioner.
- rip mum - gone but never forgotten x - :(

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 am

Anyone who is 65 or over and has an income below €18k will pay 10%, capped at €8 per month, provided they have made a Spanish tax return. Over 65s whose income is over €18k will pay 10%, capped at €18 per month, again subject to a Spanish tax return having been made. If they have not made Spanish tax returns they will be charged 40%.

http://www.abacotaxes.com/prescriptions-in-spain

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks for the confirmation of that.

Parilla

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 am

Although I'm 'registered' I've never used the prescription service in Spain , but have friends who pay the 10% charge and they only submitted one tax return several years ago, so is that correct in that as long as an expat files at least one tax return and qualify income wise they would be then entitled to 'lifelong' entitlement to subsidized prescriptions...?
Just find this interesting...

Regards,
Gordon

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 am

Sorry, I misread the information in the link first time round. If they are 65 or over they'll still be charged 10% if they haven't made a tax return, but there will be no cap on the monthly cost. The 40% applies to those below pension age. I don't know if tax returns have to be submitted every year to keep the cap in force, perhaps someone else will?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:35 am

Free at last,
Thank you for the update, Much Appreciated. :wave:
Regards,
Gordon...

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:51 pm

The system of percentage paid is a bit more involved than that for those who are over 65 but receiving healthcare as a spouse , child or dependent of someone with Seguro , the payment for those people is kept at 40% despite their age until the main holder of the seguro is at Spain's pension age . In short everything is charged as if it were the holder of the sSeguro claiming .

Return to “Living in Andalucia”