Health Service Prescription Charges

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Parilla
Resident

Health Service Prescription Charges

Postby Parilla » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:54 am

As I understand it, If you receive Spanish state healthcare, and you are in receipt of a UK state pension, then prescription charges are 10% of cost providing your income is below Euros 100,000 pa. Could anyone confirm if this is correct ?

Parilla

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Health Service Prescription Charges

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:19 am

There is no "set price" like in the UK, but my dad's medication is less than 10% of the price after he registered with the inss as a pensioner.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 am

Anyone who is 65 or over and has an income below €18k will pay 10%, capped at €8 per month, provided they have made a Spanish tax return. Over 65s whose income is over €18k will pay 10%, capped at €18 per month, again subject to a Spanish tax return having been made. If they have not made Spanish tax returns they will be charged 40%.

http://www.abacotaxes.com/prescriptions-in-spain

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks for the confirmation of that.

Parilla

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 am

Although I'm 'registered' I've never used the prescription service in Spain , but have friends who pay the 10% charge and they only submitted one tax return several years ago, so is that correct in that as long as an expat files at least one tax return and qualify income wise they would be then entitled to 'lifelong' entitlement to subsidized prescriptions...?
Just find this interesting...

Regards,
Gordon

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 am

Sorry, I misread the information in the link first time round. If they are 65 or over they'll still be charged 10% if they haven't made a tax return, but there will be no cap on the monthly cost. The 40% applies to those below pension age. I don't know if tax returns have to be submitted every year to keep the cap in force, perhaps someone else will?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:35 am

Free at last,
Thank you for the update, Much Appreciated. :wave:
Regards,
Gordon...

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Can anyone explain to me the charging method for prescriptions . For years i have been a dependent on the wifes Seguro and we have both paid 40% for my medications but only 10% for the 2 items that are required to treat a chronic condition , the 10% for chronic or long term medication is standard . When i reached 65 i continued to pay the same 40% for most and 10% for 2 items , it was explained that as a dependent the charges are based on the circumstances of the person their dependent on .

I have continued to pay the above for the last 3 years however last week i registered using the S1 and a week ago collected my normal medication for the month , it came to around 60 euros as always and i was charged 8.23 ( the monthly capped charge for pensioners ) . Today i had to pick up the 2 remaining items ( inhalers ) that had only the previous day been renewed on my prescription and have always been 10% and was charged the same as i always have , 8.48 , the chemist which we have always used was surprised saying doesn't understand why there was a charge and i shouldn't be paying anything as i paid the capped amount last week and told us to go to the Medical center to inquire why . If someone does understand and can explain the system then it might also be useful for others using the forum

The Medical center as expected had no idea , they suggested i go back and speak to the chemist who will explain , we did and they couldn't , they said they simply input the card details and all charges are automatically applied , they have no control over the system but are certain that as 8.23 cap has been paid a few days before it shouldn't be paid again . As last week charge was correct for my circumstances and i was charged the capped amount of 8.23 its clear that my details are registered correctly .

Prescription charges here are very low and im not in the least concerned at the costs as even with the unexplained charge im now paying just 25% of what i have been for the last 3 years but after all the messing about and running around i would like to understand the anomaly , the chemist would also like to know as it makes no sense compared to what he has always understood .