Opening UK bank account.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Re: Opening UK bank account.

Postby fyfin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Just messaged Barclays and they said I can have one. So effectively 2 basic UK current accounts. Nationwide said no!
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:07 am

We tried with NatWest and they said no as we already had one, so that is interesting Fyfin.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:12 am

I agree . I was very surprised but I have a suspicion that when you actually start the application there will be a box to tick to say whether you already have a UK bank account. It would be interesting if someone could confirm .
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:05 pm

Yes that's what happened with the Natwest form. We answered it honestly and never realised that we couldn't open a second account, so we were rejected.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:54 pm

Same as my Nationwide application - you had to tick a box saying whether you already had a UK bank account. As soon as you ticked to say yes, you got a message saying sorry you are not eligible.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:39 pm

... but Nationwide is not a bank. It's a Building Society. Google it. Technically if you have an account with Nationwide then you do not have one with a bank. Ergo you can open up a bank account with a bank. No?

mijasdavid
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasdavid » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Shelfy

No problem at all. Have opened accounts with no UK address.
Good luck.

David
Last edited by mijasdavid on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 pm

If only Lavanda. I've given up on the idea anyway. It was just that Norwich and Peterborough closed all current accounts and my wife used it to receive her pension. We had two accounts, both joint, one with Nationwide which I used and one with N & P which she used. It didn't really matter as we both had access to each account but it was just something we had and tried to get another account for my wife. We drew a blank with every bank or building society we tried, even Nationwide wouldn't let us have 2 accounts. Admittedly we didn't try Barclays because I am not a fan but I have to say it does appear they will let you open one. We've gone off the idea now anyway as it's just another complication that we don't need.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:41 am

It seems that the account banks will open for a non-UK resident is a 'basic' account and we were told that they are not allowed to open a 'basic account' for anyone who already has an existing one in the UK. We had sent an application in and that is what their rejection letter said.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:51 am

It's all a bit crazy. I have a BarclayCard and get my bills sent to my Spanish address and they know I am resident here yet, apparently, I am not supposed to have a UK credit card. Yet, every time my card expires they post me a new one. Work that out!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Did you have it before you came to live here? I have Nationwide, Halifax and Nat West accounts but opened them years ago. I have also opened new saving accounts in both as an when introductory interest end.
Halifax wrote to me saying that they were not allowing non-residents to open new accounts. However, within a short time they wrote again to say they were reversing this decision.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Lavanda. No problem with UK credit cards of you had them before you became Spanish resident. In fact you could keep as many credit cards, debit cards and bank accounts. Inform them of Spanish address also no problem

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Ah! Ha! Yes. I had the BarclayCard before I came out here!

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:16 pm

http://personal.natwest.com/personal/cu ... mp_Link_a1

Natwest actively seek customers living in EU but outside UK. You should also consider having an account in Channel islamds instead. You get the benefits of being in the UK clearing system so direct debits etc. and it will operate just like an account based in the UK but with the added benefit that all interest you earn can be received tax free and it doesn't have to be in any UK tax return (unless you are UK resident). In channel islands I would recommend Natwest ahead of HSBC for opening an account as HSBC paperwork and documents is outrageously onerous.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Yes, but the interest earned must be declared in Spain if you are resident in Spain.

Sid

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:56 am

Agreed but at least you have one less country to deal with by not having to deckare an offshore bank account in the UK if you are not resident in the UK, so it is one tiny bit less admin

The returns on offer are measly anyway with the best available rate being aroun 1%. If the amount to put on deposit is significant then there are banks in Malta paying up to 3% for GBP and are within the deposit gurantee scheme. The also openly market to people living outside Malta. However to access the accounts in Malta realistically you will need an account in the UK (or channle islands) so that you can pay the money to Malta.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:19 am

With the paltry interest rates being offered by banks etc at the moment, you might as well buy premium bonds!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 pm

... or BitCoins ...