20 Shades of Green.......

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
patricia
Andalucia Guru

Re: 20 Shades of Green.......

Postby patricia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:06 pm

I agree with you there Gorden. I am sure I caught my "cold" from the recycled air on the journey to the UK as I felt awful the next day and then it just got worse. But the cold weather for that time of the year did not help and I could not shake it off. Night and Day nurse helped a lot.

My flat faces south so when the sun shines in the winter it is lovely and warm during the day and all day. It gets nippy when the sun goes down and the the fire goes on. Those gas fires are very efficient.

I take a hot water bottle to bed when it gets really cold. Lovely and warm and my cats help as you can imagine. Furry little bodies. Hot in the summer though!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:56 pm

I've had at least one infection each year after air travel, planes are not the healthiest of environments..

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:00 pm

I know that high doses of Vit C are wee'd away but I do take it for a few days before travelling and also always have wetwipes to use before eating etc on a plane and I've been lucky so far. They say that germs live on your hands and you catch more colds from touching your face with a germ-ridden hand rather than people's sneezes, so we both try to be very conscious of not rubbing our eyes or eating without having cleaned our hands beforehand. It sounds a bit OCD but we rarely have colds, especially compared to when we used to live in England and regularly caught horrible illnesses and throat infections.

On the green subject .... our garden gravel is now turning green unfortunately as all those weed seeds lying dormant have sprung into life. Otherwise, the clear days have been lovely and we've seen Africa on the horizon really clearly over the last few evenings too.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:49 pm

katy wrote:Ideally I would like my house and garden...and a Marbella climate but you can't have it all.
Same here!
BENIDORM wrote:I suppose that the kind of house and location can make great differences.....
In many ways; I used to say that ideally we'd transport our apartment from Spain to wherever we choose to live next - but now we have an even nicer home, so I'd rather keep this one, but perhaps go with Katy's idea!
BENIDORM wrote:We don't have flu jabs( not happy about being injected with a virus)
Mrs.M had the same concerns, but eventually gave in to her sister's nagging and had the jab. According to the nasty man administering it, contrary to popular belief the jab is not actually the flu virus. Well, according to the NHS website, it looks like he's partly right: "The vaccine does not contain any live viruses, so it cannot cause flu. " No "live" viruses, then. Mmmm....not too sure I even want any dead ones, either.... :shock:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:44 pm

I don't bother about dates for winter, it starts for me when the clocks go back, especially this time when there was a touch of frost the same morning. My Best Buy in Spain was a set of winceyette pyjamas from Dunnes stores, pale pink with black poodle dogs on but never worn them since I left Spain.

I have had colds in both countries, once came back from Florida with one. Colds don't kill, unless you have other problems. perhaps look at the health thread on here, people complaining of aches and pains in knees, having scans, looking for miracle health cures etc. And a lot familiar with hospitals. :D

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 am

Well apart from 20 shades of Green on this thread there seems to be 20 sub threads developing, but that's fine, all of interest, well to me at least !

Most health issues basically come down to a common sense approach and certainly cleanliness is close to godliness ..as the say..
Traveling by any mode of transport does really need a careful approach, for instance using a loo in a service station or bar, having dutifully washed your hands you then open the door using the handle which probably has a million bugs lurking on it.!
Some friends recently returned from UK after spending a week touring and staying in 'quality' hotels only to find that they had scabies , where they 'picked 'them up is obviously unknown, it could be anywhere, but what is worrying is the fact about how many other people they passed them on to .!

As for 'flu jabs , well it is probably important for someone with medical problems to have them, but for me 'No Thank You', that's my personal choice.
I've never been interested in quick fix-miracle cures, but I'm interested in taking and using natural products ,some have been used for many centuries , with good effect..

For most of my life I've taken daily doses of cod liver oil, in the winter both Mrs.B and I take 2 oil capsules, in the summer 1 capsule, many friends tell me that if I ate more fish I wouldn't need to take them, whatever !...
I wonder how many other members take omega 3 capsules and where do you buy them ?
They are quite expensive in Spain, so one of our sons sends them for us along with other essentials like Marmite, we call it our Red Cross Survival Parcel... :D
And this morning it is cold and sunny and the 20 shades of Green are starting to blend into the usual 2 shades, light and dark....More rain needed....
Regards,
Gordon

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 am

I do take Omega 3 capsules and so do my cats :D :thumbup:

Going into loo's plane or not I never use my bare hands but open the door with a tissue, I do not even touch the soap dispenses with my hands but use loo paper or tissue. The same for the taps and leaving the loo as well as the door leading out. The times I have seen women leave without washing the hands and the men you see coming out of the loo still zipping up their trousers :problem:

Sound obsessive but is quite simple to do, but it has become second nature to me. I often wonder when the loos are cleaned if they ever disinfect the taps etc. Always carry wipes as well as tissues with me.

You are right Gordon Omega 3 is very expensive in Spain :thumbdown:

When I go to a hotel I disinfect the handles as well as the light switches :D I bet they never get a wipe. I could be wrong but take no chances.

There is a lot of debate about having the flu jab, but I have one every year, seems to work so shall continue to do so as touch wood and whistle I have not had the flu for years.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:55 am

Buy vitamins online. They're very cheap. We do it and we live in Canary Islands. Delivery to the mainland will be even cheaper.

Winter....Obviously November, December and January. There is no debate!! Based on the Sun. Just look at the UV index throughout the year and use as a guide. It's also what farmers will use. Rain, frost, dry tells us nothing. The Sun is the only constant.

The Equinoxes and Soltices are the midpoint of all the seasons.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 am

I take Omega 3 which I buy from a local shop Sanct Bernhard. I need a variety of other vitamins and minerals being deficient in a number due to being hypothyroid. I have found the internet is best for buying my other supplements as most High Street shops don't stock the particular types I need (magnesium for instance is often cheap mag oxide which tends to upset the stomach whereas there are better forms easily available online).

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:55 am

On the sub thread of toilets. We only eat at places with clean toilets. Not a guarantee but you have a chance. We often comment to each other at the lack of even basic hand washing of both men and women after using a toilet. It might be as high as fifty percent.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:13 pm

I believe if you eat a good balanced diet vitamins should not be needed. Some of my friends take various health products which they claim are fantastic but then move on to the latest best new product.

I don't think you can avoid germs, simple things like handling change at the shop, magazines in the dentists/Doctors. Thinking about it could turn us into Howard Hughes characters. When OH had MSSR the Nurses had to install the drip which went into a line direct to his spine even pets were not allowed into the room. They would be there about an hour and wash their hands at least 4 times.

Can we get back to the weather, I am starting to feel off colour :lol: Amazing star display last night, cold clear night and we don't have street lights around here. I was going to view the Venus and Jupiter alignment but I didn't wake up. anyone see it?

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Well I suppose the weather is about germs. Do we get more infections in cold weather or hot. Certainly you see more people coughing and spluttering in the UK then you do here. However if you did not have the cold weather and rain England would not be England or Wales and Scotland come to that. It is due to rain, rain and more rain.

"And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountain green?
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land :D

I would not want England to be like Spain in anyway. It is the four seasons that make it so lovely, which it is :thumbup: