OTC drug availability

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
ashtondav
Resident

OTC drug availability

Postby ashtondav » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:42 am

I forgot my supply of thyroxine for my thyroid condition, and was very surprised when I asked at the chemist that they supply it otc. I didn't even have to show the empty box with my details on it. Not only that but the cost was under 5€ for 100 tablets as opposed to my monthly uk prescription of 28 tablets.

Are there other exceptions to what would be prescription drugs in the uk? And cost advantages?

alisonb
Resident

Re: OTC drug availability

Postby alisonb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:18 am

You can buy lots of the common “uk prescription only” drugs otc. My blood pressure ones cost around 4 euros for the month for two different ones. when my oh left his asthma steroid behind, although he bought it with no problem, it was 51 euros for the month.
AlisonB

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:31 am

ashtondav wrote:I forgot my supply of thyroxine for my thyroid condition, and was very surprised when I asked at the chemist that they supply it otc. I didn't even have to show the empty box with my details on it. Not only that but the cost was under 5€ for 100 tablets as opposed to my monthly uk prescription of 28 tablets.

Are there other exceptions to what would be prescription drugs in the uk? And cost advantages?
If you are hypothyroid don't you get free prescriptions in the UK? From the UK NHS site:

If you're prescribed levothyroxine because you have an underactive thyroid, you're entitled to a medical exemption certificate. This means you don't have to pay for your prescriptions.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/underacti ... treatment/

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:07 pm

Yes you do. My wife did in UK but of course when you live here you either have to pay or if you are a pensioner and resident you get any prescription drugs at a vastly reduced price, I think 10%
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 pm

I wish I'd known before returning to the UK: I stocked up on a year's supply of thyroid & blood pressure pills in Spain, bought over the counter, expecting to pay over £8 a month for each in the UK, only to discover I get a medical exemption on all my meds!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:30 am

Yes I've had an exemption for years in the uk. However I'm sometimes here for three months and the convenience of popping down to the chemist is worth it. I wonder if the Spanish farmacia would dispense my sleeping pills? I do know they won't dispense anti biotics because I once heard someone making that request.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 am

You can get pretty much anything otc. Naproxen,tram a dol! The pill. I know the uk is a nanny state and you cant even buy tyrozets without been questioned but it seems to be the other extreme with some strong meds over here

Some chemists will give antibiotics.they arent supposed to anymore but as with most things it depends on whos serving

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:44 am

fyfin wrote:Yes you do. My wife did in UK but of course when you live here you either have to pay or if you are a pensioner and resident you get any prescription drugs at a vastly reduced price, I think 10%
I mentioned the UK as ashtondav seemed to indicate that he paid for a monthly prescription in the UK. My own levothyroxine cost next to nothing as I get them through a Spanish NHS prescription, although they are very cheap to buy otc.

Capitan-Roberto
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Capitan-Roberto » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Didn't realize that there are still prescription charges in Wales & England. Not been any in Scotland for years.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:21 am

elusive wrote:You can get pretty much anything otc. Naproxen,tram a dol! The pill. I know the uk is a nanny state and you cant even buy tyrozets without been questioned but it seems to be the other extreme with some strong meds over here

Some chemists will give antibiotics.they arent supposed to anymore but as with most things it depends on whos serving
I am suprised ** is on sale as it is against EU regulations. Highly addictive too, why on earth would people want to buy it unless recommended by their Doctor. Selling antibiotics like smarties has led to the rise of superbugs.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:30 am

You would hope ppl only buy tram.. because they were prescribed it in the first place but as you say its highly addictive so cant be controled if you can just buy it as and when. Mind you ive read enough cases and know of ppl personally who ended up addicted to meds in the uk via a prescription where drs were quite happy to keep writing prescription for drugs that should only be taken for a very short time

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:14 am

It is worth noting that in the UK TDol is on the prohibited list with regard to the driving drugs test. You might be OK if you had a prescription but without one you could be charged with taking an illegal drug.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/4036390 ... ntroduced/

Roadside drugs testing is now common in Spain and although I have not seen a list of the drugs, I would expect it to be much the same as in the UK.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:07 pm

Good point Cid. It does mention in the drugs leaflet about this. I do not understand why anyone would want to buy these over the counter. OH was away with the fairies when he was prescribed them, mumbling in his sleep. He stopped taking them very quickly. Fortunately he is fit now and doesn't take even an ibuprofen.