Newspapers -Granada

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Newspapers -Granada

Postby Alcala Barry » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Evevning all.

Right. I am under serious instructions from her indoors.

Next weekend I have to go to Brico Depot in Granada and I am been asked/told I have to return with a Times or a Telegraph newspaper. We have visited Granada on many ocassions and at every shop/kiosk we went to they only sold sodding Mails or simliar.

This is serious, if I don't return with a decent newspaper, then I am dead meat!

Please do any of you know where to find a Times or Telegraph newspaper in central Granada?

Any serious help appreciated.

Regards

Barry

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Newspapers -Granada

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:35 pm

I'm guessing online isn't an acceptable option, but can you get it sent by post ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:05 am

Cant help with the newspaper problem but can say i cannot think of anywhere around Brico that might sell one. You will know Brico isn't anywhere near the centre ofGranada.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:17 am

If you go to www.thepaperboy.com you can read all the uk newspapers for free.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:15 am

Chrissie- we both prefer reading a real paper, not online and via post is very expensive.

Olive - Didn't expect to get one near Brico and we have to go into the city centre anyway.

Costakid - Thanks for the link. It's quite a site. Just tried to read the Times to test it, but you get part way through a paragraph and then you have to register and sign in before continuing. (i.e. Buy a subscription)

Over the last few years we have probably been to over twenty kiosks in the centre of Granada and not once found a Times/Telegraph. Mails, Suns etc all over the place but nothing else.

Seems odd for a city that is so dependant on tourism. But we will keep looking.

Thanks for the replies all.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:25 pm

I think the Times is the only one you can't read fully. I used to use it a lot for reading the papers in Hong Kong.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:27 pm

I have just looked and the other UK papers seem to be all ok to read. I tried the Telegraph and the Sun.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Yep. Looks like The Times is hanging in there.
Interesting site though and they seem to cover most of the world.

Our problem is that we like to take a real paper with us to a bar and have a beer or two while we attempt one of the crosswords. Well, you can't win them all.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:13 pm

What about trying the airport?

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:22 pm

That's the last place we got one from in Granada.
They only sell them on the other side of security, in the departures bit.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Alcala Barry wrote:Evevning all.

Right. I am under serious instructions from her indoors.

Next weekend I have to go to Brico Depot in Granada and I am been asked/told I have to return with a Times or a Telegraph newspaper. We have visited Granada on many ocassions and at every shop/kiosk we went to they only sold sodding Mails or simliar.

This is serious, if I don't return with a decent newspaper, then I am dead meat!

Please do any of you know where to find a Times or Telegraph newspaper in central Granada?

Any serious help appreciated.

Regards
Barry
I don't believe I've paid for a newspaper for years, Every morning whilst drinking my two cups of coffee I read the Telegraph and the Guardian online: www.telegraph.co.uk www.guardian .co.uk And just about every major newspaper in the world is available online :-)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:41 pm

The Telegraph is a subscription sevice. You can read some articles in full but many are restricted.

I got a good deal sometime ago at £2 a week for full access. The Times is much more expensive and all content is restricted.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 am

The editor i once worked with predicted that eventually newspapers would no longer be printed and that they would all end up on line..That was about 10yrs ago and although they are still printing hard copies i do believe he is right in what he said. People now take to social media and very few young people buy a newspaper. Newspaper sales are half now of what they used to be and the industry can no longer demand the advertising rates that made them very wealthy businesses..Circulation is king and now even the big newspaper names are distributing them for free in some outlets just to try and keep the circulation up to satisfy and attract advertisers because its the advertising which pay the wages. Eventually there won't be an online subscription to read any of them because who will pay to read them in X amount of years? not the youth and they are the future! Times are changing fast and for those of you who do prefer a hard copy to read i share your sentiments, there is nothing as good as being able to turn the pages and know where each page sits and be familiar with where to find what interests you most...For me it is the same with books, i would personally never have a kindle, i enjoy holding the book and turning each page..Hope you find your Times or Telegraph Alcala Barry for her indoors.. :wink: :wave:

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Pamela1

At last we have found someone who understands the difference between reading a real book or newspaper compared with an online version. A major point of the whole process is to have the thing physically in front of you. Yes I know we could sit there open-mouthed gawping at a Kindle, iPhone or whatever, but that holds no appeal for either of us. Doing the crossword in a bar over a couple of drinks is much more fun, more social and far less anti-social than staring at a box of electronics.

Thanks for your wonderful post Pamela1 and it has made us even more focused on finding a hard copy of a newspaper this weekend.

Have a nice day.

Barry

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:06 pm

I do sympathise as I also much prefer the paper versions and like to read a book (I don't own a Kindle anyway). However, needs must, so we read the Telegraph online everyday and like El Cid, managed to get a good deal on a subscription a couple of years back so pay 40 pounds a year which is a lot less than buying it here. I would prefer the paper version though and remember the Saturday mornings when we lived in the UK when we used to buy the Telegraph and all its many supplements and magazines would last us all week!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:32 pm

If you can pop in to departures and get one, job done

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:03 pm

As Sid has said, The times is available for a small sum online, Telegraph is restricted but the main stories of the day are there, The mail is completely open and it's not a bad read !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:07 pm

The Times has now got a lot cheaper. They currently have an offer for non UK residents for full access for £5 a month after a 3 month trial for £1 a month. Cancel before the end of 3 months or at any time thereafter.

Not a bad deal bearing in mind it used to be £7 a week.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:59 am

Manchesteral wrote: The mail is completely open and it's not a bad read !
:shock: :? .... can't stand the Mail .... full of 'celebs' and OTT 'shock' stories with too many CAPITAL letters in their titles and takes forever to scroll down the page! We tried it when the Telegraph introduced their subscription charges but couldn't read it everyday.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 am

My iPad hates the DM :mrgreen:
I am a Luddite and prefer a paper copy that I can keep picking up. Too mean to buy them though, I get them free from Waitrose if spending a tenner. The Saturday Telegraph has lots of supplements. In Spain the UK newspapers seem to be much thinner and have more ads. I prefer the Times as it covers stories in more depth even though I don't always agree with it's opinions.
My Library has a free service online and possible to read most newspapers and magazines that are normally subscription. Can also download books free, though I never do. Still take books on holiday.
Advantage of reading online is that you can read a few, useful to see how same news is reported differently.