WATER METERING

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
nearlynewinspain

WATER METERING

Postby nearlynewinspain » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 am

Anyone have a similar experience about water metering? A system (meter) was installed about 4 years ago to support works on our house. Our bills were marked with OBRA and when I informed our provider (Aquas del Valle Guardiaro) that work was completed last year, they informed me that I would have to have another meter fitted.

" The reason because the word “OBRA” appears in your contract details is because the water meter installed in the property is still the one that we install temporary, just for the period of works. This water meter is smaller than the permanent one. In fact, the owner of the house is obliged to contract the permanent water meter once the works are finished."

For this I would be charged around 1,300 euros.

I haven't yet replied but surely a meter is a meter is a meter?? And how obliged am I to have a new one fitted?

Any info, guidance, similar experience etc would be most welcome.

northandsouth
Resident

Re: WATER METERING

Postby northandsouth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Yes you must change to a proper meter for your property.

You'll have to start a new contract with the water company.

Where the €1300 comes from I don't know but, as you have had work done on the property do you have a boletin in place for the water installation? You can't start a new contract without one.

You will need to have an approved meter box and door installed into a boundary wall or the house wall itself, this must be accessible to the water company. It needs to be positioned within certain guidelines, height off the ground etc, I can't remember the criteria though.

The plumber that issued or issues the boletin will be able to advise you and can do the work too.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:33 am

A high-quality water meter costs about €70 (Proinco price). Also worth installing a pressure regulator+gauge next to it, to reduce a possible mains/line pressure of 10-20bar to a manageable 4-5bar, which ball-valves etc can cope with.
Chris

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:38 pm

I expect you have checked that the water bills for said OBRA was paid as when i had my work done the builder mentioned this at the time.
I do not remember he gave me something like €40/50 of discount as he had not paid last bill.
I do not remember the exact details of change-over but there certainly was not a considerable sum involved...

nearlynewinspain

Postby nearlynewinspain » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks to all who responded- useful info.