Tent on rustic land

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
chudleigh
Tourist

Tent on rustic land

Postby chudleigh » Tue May 01, 2018 4:18 pm

Does anyone know if it is permitted to put a yurt style tent up on rural land? We live in the Campo close to Alhaurin el Grande and want to put one up on our land, not for rental purposes.

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Tent on rustic land

Postby Manchesteral » Tue May 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Is this a serious post AND why would you need to ??

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Why would it not be a serious post? Yurts can be pretty big. A friend of mine put one up and did not apply for permission as it's moveable. As long as it is on your land, not visually affecting your neighbours and you're not holding an illegal Rave, then I think you'll be okay!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue May 01, 2018 9:53 pm

Manchesteral wrote:Is this a serious post AND why would you need to ??
Maybe there having friends over and don’t want them in there house or need an extra room for a few days. Seems a reasonable question to me.

chudleigh
Tourist

Postby chudleigh » Tue May 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Manchesteral wrote:Is this a serious post AND why would you need to ??
Thanks for the useful reply.

chudleigh
Tourist

Postby chudleigh » Tue May 01, 2018 10:25 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:Why would it not be a serious post? Yurts can be pretty big. A friend of mine put one up and did not apply for permission as it's moveable. As long as it is on your land, not visually affecting your neighbours and you're not holding an illegal Rave, then I think you'll be okay!
Thank you. I expected that it would be OK if it is temporary construction but someone told me you can get fined. I can't find anything online about it.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed May 02, 2018 9:15 am

Hello Chudleigh,
May I suggest that you call at your local Town Hall and ask for advice, each area has different rules and regulations and I would recommend that you take a photo of the type of Yurt that you are hoping to place on your land..

Checking with the correct authorities could save hassle and heartache later....

Good Luck. :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed May 02, 2018 9:23 am

Benidorm wrote:
May I suggest that you call at your local Town Hall and ask for advice
:problem: Don't forget there is a "Napoleonic" culture in Spain that will tend to say "you can't do that because no-one has said you can"......or am I just a cynic? :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:

Seriously, there were problems with yurts where I used to live (Cortes de la Frontera) because there was an automatic assumption that they were for letting and thus would be let.
nil illegitimum carborundum

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed May 02, 2018 9:35 am

[quote="Trooperman"wrote:
:problem: Don't forget there is a "Napoleonic" culture in Spain that will tend to say "you can't do that because no-one has said you can"......or am I just a cynic? :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:

True....But I've lived in three different Provinces in Spain( nearly 30 years ) and I've always found that asking 'nicely' for advice at the Town Hall has always got the powers that be 'on my side', and I've been involved with houses ,shops, warehouses etc , and before taking this approach I regularly received fines... :(

Regards,
Gordon

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 02, 2018 11:33 am

It would seem I've kicked a hornets nest, my response was because I don't see why you would want one other than to flout building regulations which I'm sure all law abiding citizens would be against !!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed May 02, 2018 5:36 pm

On a related matter are there regs on having a garden shed?

And where I live the default advice from a petrified town hall is “no”, so am interested in posters’ experience.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed May 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Is that a "No" for any regs or "No" you can't have one....He!He!
nil illegitimum carborundum

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed May 02, 2018 10:39 pm

Quite a few years ago, we asked our Spanish friend to ask the Town Hall for a permiso for a shed. The man at the Town Hall said "you know they don't have enough land" & then "but if they want one...." & shrugged his shoulders :-)
So we went ahead (hubby got a bit panicky & went overboard with 'camouflage ;-) ) and as far as I know, it's still there (now minus the camouflage which has succumbed to the weather)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu May 03, 2018 11:54 am

As with all 'requests' to the Town Hall etc., it really depends on their interpretation of the issue and of course each area is different and in my experience I've actually had less hassle than I did in the UK !

So based on my own observations etc I would still recommend calling into the Town Hall and 'Ask for their Help', if approached in a correct manner I'm sure that the outcome will be helpful.

Regards,
Gordon.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu May 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Trooperman wrote:Is that a "No" for any regs or "No" you can't have one....He!He!
Just no :thumbdown:

chudleigh
Tourist

Postby chudleigh » Thu May 03, 2018 3:14 pm

BENIDORM wrote:As with all 'requests' to the Town Hall etc., it really depends on their interpretation of the issue and of course each area is different and in my experience I've actually had less hassle than I did in the UK !

So based on my own observations etc I would still recommend calling into the Town Hall and 'Ask for their Help', if approached in a correct manner I'm sure that the outcome will be helpful.

Regards,
Gordon.
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the advice, I think you are right and approaching the town hall would be the safest approach. We only want to have it up in the summer, so hopefully there won't be any issues.

Thanks again.
Joanne

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:55 pm

The problem with asking the Town Hall is if you get someone on a bad day, or even a good day, they may just say no without really knowing what it is you want to do. Just put it up and if your local police lady comes calling apologise and take it down!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 03, 2018 6:02 pm

I agree. With something simple like this which you can remove quickly, just do it.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu May 03, 2018 7:01 pm

Well...Based on my own experiences I don't agree with the 'do it and see what happens', why take the chance ?

It isn't a regular camping tent and if you haven't already purchased it you could end with a bit of useless kit and possibly a fine,plus if you 'cross ' the powers that be, you will have put yourself on their radar and they will be watching you... :shifty:

I learned not to 'cut corners' many years ago and yes there are some things that I would take a chance with...but not something like you are planning, so I do hope that you choose the safest method....Good Luck.

Regards,
Gordon

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 pm

My original response to this post was perhaps a little gritty, however I'm still wondering why you would need one in your garden other than for acommodation purposes which I'm sure would attract the attention of the authoraties and perhaps a few nosey neighbours, you do need to be really careful these days ! How much does a yurt cost anyway, can't be cheap !