Best Practices for Sending Mail Internationally

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
LaTintorera

Best Practices for Sending Mail Internationally

Postby LaTintorera » Wed May 09, 2018 10:48 am

I've seen a ton of the complaint-style threads regarding mail but I wanted to learn what the best methods are for sending mail internationally.

For instance, when sending mail from the United States to Spain I find it arrives within 6-10 business days. When sending mail from Spain to the US I've had postcards arrive around 20 business days later or worse, never arrive - nor be returned to sender.

One thing I've learned is to make sure I have the postage that matches the company ie. Correos (I'm not used to thinking there'd be different stamps for different companies)
I've also read about keeping package descriptions vague and low balling the value to avoid delays.

What else should one do to ensure faster delivery or delivery at the very least?
Are there certain Correos locations to avoid?
Should I leave notes saying "please deliver this letter" with a piece of candy?
Thanks.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Best Practices for Sending Mail Internationally

Postby BENIDORM » Wed May 09, 2018 11:08 am

Hello Tintorera,
Welcome to the Forum :wave:

First I would suggest that you send postcards in an envelope.
If you are receiving your mail in Spain from the US in 6-10 days it does prove that Correos is delivering them promptly, going the other way I've always found it slower, but that could be that the US Mail is slow in some areas and of course it is always wise to post from a Post Office in Spain, not a post box, sometimes they are not collected promptly.
If you are sending packets or parcels they will be subject to scrutiny by the Customs, but it is advisable to fill in the customs slip correctly...

It is always important to ensure that the full correct postal address is clearly placed on the envelope and your sender address on the back.
I've found it best to take mail to the Post Office and have it weighed and know that I've paid the correct rate and I get a receipt.

During my time in Spain I've used Correos in 3 different Provinces , been a 'heavy mail user' and really have had very little problems either sending or receiving.
I have noted that some people seem to have difficulties receiving mail in Spain, but maybe that is down to their location.

Regards,
Gordon

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 09, 2018 2:42 pm

I always ask for correos registrado, you get a numbered receipt and it seems to work fine !

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed May 09, 2018 5:09 pm

I would only use ' Certificado' ( signed for mail )if you need proof of sending and arrival , it is expensive and can be slower than regular mail, I only use it for documents etc.
Regards,
Gordon

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed May 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Our experience is that sending letters "Normale" is the fastest way. Other options all slow it down, but sometimes unavoidable.
Chris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 09, 2018 9:49 pm

BENIDORM wrote:I would only use ' Certificado' ( signed for mail )if you need proof of sending and arrival , it is expensive and can be slower than regular mail, I only use it for documents etc.
Regards,
Gordon
Well that's the whole point if it's important mail, I'd rather pay a few extra euros for secure postage, although everyday letters and postcards go by normal mail !

LaTintorera

Postby LaTintorera » Thu May 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking I'll try a new batch of postcards, and put some in envelopes, some without, and some with the registrado option. I'll have to at least entertain you all with the results when I test it out.

I'm glad that certificate sounds reliable. With that option, I'd hope it actually get's delivered.

As for where the problem is occurring, I hadn't thought of the mail being slowed down back home, which is totally possible but maybe it's just because it's me that's sending it. :lol:

Cheers.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 11, 2018 1:37 pm

Seen quite a few posts on here saying it is the UK side. On my birthday i get cards from Spain, USA, France and Africa. The Spanish ones usually take the longest. I did once get one in two days from Spain but the average time is 4 days. Myself and friends in Spain have agreed not to bother sending Xmas cards anymore due to their non arrival.

Certificado (registered) take longer than basic mail.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri May 11, 2018 2:36 pm

La Tinotorera,
Please let us know the 'outcome' of your 'test' mail... :thumbup:

On average my mail out arrives in UK in 4 working days, US 7 to 10 working days, incoming 4-6 days from UK and 5-12 days from the US.

I started my first 'mail order' venture in 1969 ( not very successful :( ), and at that time in the UK sometimes the mail was delivered the same day but rarely more than one day, but mail to France and Italy took a least 2 weeks, but of course this was when everything was handled manually, even the franking of the envelope.
And maybe of interest to some , I have a letter posted from New York, by sea on a German ship, 6 weeks before World War Two, delivered to London in only a few days...WOW..
I collect ephemera by the way, including stamps..!
So when you are sending your test mail can I ask you to request 'real' stamps on your mail..in an effort to keep stamp collecting an ongoing hobby...
Regards,
Gordon

LaTintorera

Postby LaTintorera » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Thanks for the input katy.
BENIDORM wrote:I have a letter posted from New York, by sea on a German ship, 6 weeks before World War Two, delivered to London in only a few days.

So when you are sending your test mail can I ask you to request 'real' stamps on your mail..in an effort to keep stamp collecting an ongoing hobby.
What an interesting story, funny to see how you can interact friendly one day and be at war the next. There's also something to peeling then sticking a stamp on mail. I can't deny that.

I did get some interesting results from my mixed mail. I only sent bare postcards and postcards in envelopes.

I can confirm almost everything arrived. I checked with those I could online about what they received:
  • Those who responded said they got my mail.
  • I had two responses saying they got two pieces of mail from me.
  • These took about 14 business days to arrive.
Which makes me wonder, were my earlier postcards "lost" until I sent this second round? Or were some of the recipients distracted and forgot to tell me they received the older one (some of them I can understand not saying anything but others are not that oblivious)?

Either way. I feel just as confused but I'm glad the mail eventually arrives. Thanks for the suggestions and posting your own experiences.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:49 pm

La Tintorera,
Thank you for publishing the results of your mail shot test, pretty much what I expected, and of course it would depend on destinations in the US, it's such a vast country .!

Maybe boring to some but a little more info. on my vintage letter...it was sent on board SS. Europa, sister ship of the Bremen, both Blue Riband award ships, the Europa was awarded to France at the end of the war to replace the SS Normandie.
And the contents of the letter...A confirmation of acceptance for publication of a song/score sheet music..to a quite famous composer/song writer...
Regards,
Gordon...