Gas to Electricity Conversion

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
steve_w
Andalucia.com Amigo

Gas to Electricity Conversion

Postby steve_w » Tue May 15, 2018 10:39 am

Hi everybody. I'm thinking of changing the water heater and hob in my flat on the Costa Tropical from bottled gas to electricity. The flat has 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. I'd be grateful for any advice on what make/type/capacity of water heater would be suitable, and a rough idea of what it should cost me (including the appliances) to have the old heater and hob removed and new ones installed. Many thanks.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Gas to Electricity Conversion

Postby Wicksey » Tue May 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Make sure you have sufficient potencia coming in to cover the extra electricity usage. I think an electric hob can use a lot of kws.

Depends on how much hot water you tend to use and how many in the house. There's only 2 of us and we have a 150L electric tank (1500kw) which we have on a timer, currently for 1.5 hours each morning. That is sufficient for us but we tend not to run through hot water in the kitchen for example, as it takes too long and we use a dishwasher rather than wash up every night. (We like our gas cooker as it uses so little gas, is cheap to run and is there if we have a power cut!)

Have a look online for prices of new appliances (Worten or Leroy Merlin for example). It will give you an idea of cost when getting prices for a plumber/electrician to provide and fit them.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue May 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Hello Steve,
Good advice from Wicksey and very similar situation to our 'set up'.

Personally I would keep the gas hob, much cheaper to run than an electric hob and useful to have 'options'.

I've fitted numerous electric heaters myself, not difficult, although it would depend on having a close electric point and with most water pipes easy to connect and you can easily extend the supply pipes with flexible hose.
I've recently changed an electric water heater, 12 years old and when I opened it almost full with 'calc', probably better to change electric heaters after about 8 years.!
I've had my dishwasher for 52 years- still works well and she just boils a kettle of water for dishwashing.... :D

Regards,
Gordon

steve_w
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby steve_w » Tue May 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks for your quick replies, Wicksey and Gordon.

I understand what you're saying about keeping the gas hob, but I want to get away from the hassle of having to lug heavy gas bottles up the stairs, and the need to get an inspection certificate every few years. I also worry about the possibility of gas leaks and explosions when we're not there.

We'll maybe need to get the potencia uprated (we've got 4.4kW at the moment), but I think that's just a matter of getting Endesa to come and change the circuit breaker.

I'll take a look online, as you suggest.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue May 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Personal experience is to avoid Aparici and Fagor as brands of water heater. Cheaply made and short-life thermostats, elements and safety trips. Much better quality is Cointra. All the usual sizes available.
For kitchens etc which are at the end of ridiculously long hot-water pipe run (and therefore waste water and power), Cointra do a rather neat 10-litre in-cupboard/undersink unit, 1200W, and able to produce decently hot water from cold in five or so minutes. We have one of these in an outdoor kitchen. Brilliant bit of kit.
Chris

steve_w
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby steve_w » Tue May 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Thanks Chris, that's useful advice. I saw some Cointra heaters online. I'll certainly bear your comments in mind when making the choice.