Breaking down on the motorway

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Paulinmalaga
Resident

Re: Breaking down on the motorway

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:00 am

I So Bella tis you

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:23 am

fincalospinos wrote:In most modern cars with a built in GPS and mapping systems, you can find your location on the screen This also applies to TomTom and similar devices.
As the hard shoulder was not as wide as the car, I would not sit in it and risk being wiped out by someone too busy on their phone to notice me. Apart from that, my car isn't that modern and doesn't have such gizmos! I did have my satnav, but as I say, it was such bright sunshine that we couldn't see the screen and they said they couldn't locate me through my phone (I don't have internet on it either).
costakid wrote:I know that junction very well and it is quite an unusual junction. I am surprised you didn’t know where you were if your from the area. Most motorway exits are much of a muchness but that one is unusual in its layout.
I don't go west beyond Velez Malaga turn off very often and I only knew that we hadn't yet reached the turning for Totalan and Carrefour but that wasn't good enough. The nearest signpost was not a motorway blue sign but just a white sign for Macharavaiya but the person on the phone said she couldn't find that. It was very difficult to hear anything on the phone as well which didn't help. I only knew that we were between Velez and Totalan, but she seemed to want something more accurate than that. The previous exit was 7 kms back and it was another couple on to the next one so there was no way I could see one of those.

Lyric, I saw those markers but they just seem to be reflectors.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:01 am

In 50 years of driving, this was a first.
Location was more simple however. "A7 Lagos Tunnel direction Nerja"
Blow.jpg
Same new tyre however.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:16 am

Wicksey wrote:[

Lyric, I saw those markers but they just seem to be reflectors.
They also have a number on them 1-9 which tells you the distance to the next Km marker.
So if it says 6 then there is 600 mtrs to the next marker or 400 mtrs to the marker you last went past.
So if the number is 4 or less then carry on walking, if it is 6 or higher then turn around and walk back.
If it is 5 then you are half way between markers.
I know the junction that you had the flat tyre at and the sign immediately before it foes not include the KM distance.
I can't recall ever seeing another sign like that one, all others have the KM distance on them.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Lyric your tyre was like mine. Amazing how it completely shredded and came off the rim. We now have 4 tyres less than a year old so I shall be annoyed if it happened again. Can only think I ran over something to make it go flat.

It's never happened before in over 40 years of driving, and I'm really just thankful that the car didn't go out of control considering the speed I was doing. If I hadn't had a train to catch I wouldn't have panicked so much and it was horrible being at the side of the motorway with the traffic roaring by so fast. Just as well my OH was there to wait for the grua etc ..... it could have been a lot worse!

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:37 pm

That tyre looks unevenly worn, on its outer edge. Tracking needs checking?
Chris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Lyrics tyre looks to be worn out too........past its service life.......recommend changing when down to 3mm.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Just found that there is a Linea Directa app, for Android probably an iPhone one as well.
Once it is setup up, which you can do now at home, it just need a few taps of the screen to call a grua to your exact location.
No voice input needed so ideal for when you are at the side of the autovia and can't hear anything for the traffic noise.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Twas a strange tyre being one of Bebendum's low energy offerings,as it was rock hard rubber it had plenty of life, car had only done 25k at that point.
Anyway, for a laugh this was two weeks later.
Bad day 2(1).jpg

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:34 pm

gerryh wrote:Just found that there is a Linea Directa app, for Android probably an iPhone one as well.
Once it is setup up, which you can do now at home, it just need a few taps of the screen to call a grua to your exact location.
No voice input needed so ideal for when you are at the side of the autovia and can't hear anything for the traffic noise.
Cheers
Gerry
Thanks Gerry :thumbup:
Just downloaded it.