Connecting to Agricultural Water Supply ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Terry2017
Tourist

Connecting to Agricultural Water Supply ?

Postby Terry2017 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 am

Hi,
We have a place in the campo between Valez Malaga and Arenas. We currently spend around 12 weeks a year in Spain, but plan to retire here sometime in the next 18 months.
Our only water supply comes from a well, but despite all the rain we have had our water reserve is already almost empty.
There has been some landscaping and planting of Mango trees (some on a grand scale) within a mile or two radius of our place over the last 18 months and so are assuming any water in the ground is being pumped up by the farmers to their own water reserve tanks.
So what we need help with is how do we go about getting ourselves connected to the agricultural water supply?
One local resident told us however that the water supplier is not connecting any more domestic dwellings as they cannot meet the demand, could this be true?
FYI, towards the end of September last year we had water brought up to us in a tanker, which of course is a short term solution, but not ideal in the long run, especially when we want to live here full time.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Terry.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Connecting to Agricultural Water Supply ?

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:49 am

I can only tell you about the situation here. To get agricultural water we had to join a cooperative for a fee of €5000. There is an annual charge of about €130 and a charge of €33 every time they fill our deposito.

You can only join the cooperative if their supply pipe runs close to your property and it is perfectly possible that they may limit new members depending on the actual supply available.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 am

In this area and up to Competa I believe, there is a company that runs the agricultural supply called Patamalara. As I understand it, you have to purchase an 'action' (or share) of water which is an allowance of 35000L per week, although most people I know with homes here have a half or quarter share. Around here you need to find a landowner that is willing to sell a partial share (in the past I've seen them for sale for up to 10,000€) then you need to find out if Patamalara have either a connection point available, or is willing to add another one to the existing water meter points which are dotted around the hillside. Our nearest one is about 300m away so if we ever did manage to jump through all the hoops to get connected ourselves, it would be quite a job to connect to the meter point then run pipes over various neighbours' land to get it to ours.

The house we bought already had an agreement to buy water from our neighbour who has a 350m2 tank on the hill behind us. I'm not sure it is a legal arrangement as I don't believe that you are supposed to sell on the water, but it has been in place for the past 18 years since the house was built and is the only way we can get water.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:51 am

Correction. 1 share = 17500lt. I have 2 which is 35000lt every 8 days, no idea why 8 days. Sometimes the share(s) are part of the deeds and as such are 'difficult' to sell on.
A share with Patamalara currently costs 6,000€, a neighbour has recently bought one, and we thought that the money would come in handy, we don't need all that water but the advice was that it wasn't worth the bother.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Our neighbour mentioned 35000L per week which is why I thought it was one share. I can remember years ago they were very expensive but as much as I'd like our own water supply, the costs and logistics makes it almost impossible.

Terry2017
Tourist

Postby Terry2017 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Thank you all for your very informative replies, they certainly leave us with something to think about.