advise

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
wollie
Resident

advise

Postby wollie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:02 am

I have a friend has a serious problem of water damage coming from neighbors property, she has approached this person bit is not making any progress in resolving the problem, The problem is not as noticeably now as the winter over. She did make the mistake of bringing the builder and the estate agent along which for me was like "red rag" as it were.
She has also approached her house insurance company but they seem unwilling to get involved until the neighbor engages with my friend. I am of the opinion they are duty bound to engage with this. The said neighbors house is vacant and it is unlikely has insurance, i said she should ask a local lawyer for to clarify the position. She does not know for absolutely certainity if this lady is full owner of house as i said if there was a tax or utility bill left hanging around it would have alot of info.
There was also talk of denuncia which for me would be an absolutely last resort but the threat of same may be a help. I was talking to someone in the process of doing this but it was height of wall and clear-cut evidence there, they said the police were on it in days.
Also my friend does not know the name of the person who has key for house and if they were to decide on a course of action would they need the name of the other party involved.
This lady is overwhelmed with all of this so any advise be appreciated.

Many thanks....

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: advise

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:43 am

I can't help but think that unless your friend makes an official complaint then it seems the water damage will continue.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:15 pm

If I may suggest that she should contact the supplier of water to the houses, if the water leak is before the meter then they would fix it, if after the meter I would be surprised if they don't contact the owner to sort it out as water loss is quite a serious matter in Spain.
If the leak isn't dealt with then they would probably disconnect the water supply which I'm sure would get the attention of the owner.!

I would be surprised if the insurance company would get involved unless it was a major incident.

I hope that my advice is helpful.

Regards,
Gordon

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:07 pm

If the damage is seasonal then I would suggest it is to do with rain water rather than supplied water, so a denuncia looks the omly way to get some action.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Yes it is rain-water coming from a mainly badly fitted gutter which when there is rain it overshoots on to a flat roof, the water then seeps into my friends property as the flashing is either non-existent or faulty. Because this roof is belong to neighbor the problem cannot be solved as this person will not repair and will not allow my friend get her builder repair.
Is the denuncia reasonably effective? also can a denuncia be obtained when the name of the person not known? the only definitave information is this is the person who comes to this property on a regular basis.
What do the people think of letting this person know that this option is being considered, would it be likely to have the required result?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:42 am

When the neighbour won't even allow your friends builder to repair the problem then you are dealing with someone who couldn't care less...i doubt the threat of a denuncia would have any effect but your neighbour could try..as for not knowing the name of the person who has the property? could your friend ask around? someone may have a name.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:31 pm

You could at the same time report to water authority as previously advised. They would write to the person on the bill and maybe police could find out who it is

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:37 pm

If it is rain water the water company will not give a toss.....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Difficult for us to understand this problem, Wollie...
- rural finca or apartment block?
- two buildings or one?
- flat or hilly terrain?
- rainwater, mains water or sewage?
- constant or intermittent?

Left guessing as to the circumstances, I'm afraid.
Chris

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:37 pm

Most of what you ask is in my second post on this as someone else said same.
This is a town house with houses either side on reasonably level terrain.
It is rain water and it more residue seeping than leak but in time destroys paint with mildue and make walls black.
I think my principle question at this stage is can a person do a denuncia on the property that will automatically be put to the registered owner?

Many thanks....

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Chris

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:15 pm

I believe you may be able to check on the catastral web site - your friend should have her own catastral reference in her house papers - and that may show the owners on either side (I know when we did this a while back, we were surprised to see the details of the neighbouring properties also!). Or she could go into the office, attached to the local town hall, and ask for details of the offending property, again referencing her own catastral number and indicate on which side hers is. Then the denuncia can be properly addressed.