Residencia Card/Document Query

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
telboy
Resident

Residencia Card/Document Query

Postby telboy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:13 pm

When we became Spanish residents about a year after we came here, we were issued a photo card ID. On renewal after 5 years, we were issued with a green paper document with no photo and were told that this would last indefinitely. Is this also the case for new residents or are they issued with some other documentation that includes a photograph? We still carry our old invalid cards which we still show occasionally as proof of ID and no-one ever questions its validity.

I assume things will change in the coming year and beyond.

terry

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Residencia Card/Document Query

Postby elusive » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:40 pm

New residents still get the little green credit card size bit of paper with no photo on it.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:57 pm

We're added a small photo to each of ours, and laminated it. The little bit of green paper is a scruffy thing, difficult to read and spot the info you want at the best of times.

A friend of ours here lost hers, and in the meantime used a dog ID card (which did bear a photo) for identification purposes.
The picture was of her, and not the dog . . . :think:
Chris

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:30 pm

Our residencia document is A4 size so as you can imagine it's folded to fit in my wallet and is tatty after 8 years. If you Google 'Spanish Residencia Documentation' (Images) some are cards and others like ours, maybe it differs from province to province.

Didn't know you needed a dog licence - as we don't own a dog just 17 cats and counting (ever expanding from 3 strays) :wtf: .

cheers :thumbup:

terry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:13 pm

I don't see the point of attaching a photo as the document specifically says it cannot be used as an identity document!

We use our out of date residencia cards or our Spanish driving licences.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:44 am

Laminating your residencia supposedly maked it invalid. You added a photo to it?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:24 am

I never carry my little green residencia card. I too have my way out of date photo residencia card that is always accepted without question. I would like to have that brought back in as they are so useful. At some point someone will notice that I am now slightly older than the original photo taken about 15 years ago :)

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 pm

We too originally had a photo card for residencia which was useful as an ID document, the A4 replacement was an intermediary thing which was replaced by the little stupid green thing which, as Cid points out, is NOT and ID card, nor is your driving license, even if spanish. Our timing was such that we went from the photo residenci card to the little green thing. Only your passport is an official ID card. The green card proves your right to stay in Spain as an EU citizen and shows your NIE number, and that is all. However in nearly every case, if you show your green card,which has no photo, together with your spanish driving license which does have a photo and your NIE number, you can get away with it. Personally I do not see the need to carry the passports about with us on all occasions - only for the likes of Hacienda, even the Guardia will wait a day or two for you to bring one in for confirmation these days - but various people have had certified copies of their passports to take with them, especially when driving, and that covers you nicely for ID.
As to OP's posting, you had your nice photo card for your first five years, replaced by a Permanent Right of Stay residencia notice thereafter - It may even be useful for you to make a Cita Previa and go and see if you should change it for the newer little green thing - 10 euros and a bit each - or just not bother ...

As to post-Brexit, its anybody's guess, as we wont be EU citizens then, so probably would have to apply for a new card of some sort as British citizens with special agreed rights?? In that they have already given us the permanent right of stay, I am not sure how that could be rescinded?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:26 pm

If we become non Eu citizens with the right to permanent residency, my guess is that they will just give us residency cards like we used to have. If you have the right to reside as a non Eu family member of an Eu citizen, that is exactly what they do now.

I can’t see them inventing a new card just for us. The only reason they don’t give us one now is because Eu law does not allow them to do so while you are an EU citizen.

As for rescinding our right of permanent residency, they cannot do that as the right of permanent residency after 5 years of legal residency is EU law and applies to ALL residents, not just EU citizens.

Apart from that there is a well establish law called the Vienna Convention on Treaties, which says that if a treaty is rescinded, any rights given under that treaty remain.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 am

telboy wrote:Our residencia document is A4 size so as you can imagine it's folded to fit in my wallet and is tatty after 8 years. If you Google 'Spanish Residencia Documentation' (Images) some are cards and others like ours, maybe it differs from province to province.

Didn't know you needed a dog licence - as we don't own a dog just 17 cats and counting (ever expanding from 3 strays) :wtf: .

cheers :thumbup:

terry
Dog licence is for a big or "dangerous" dog (one thats on their list) - mine was, but only because of her Kilos, she was soppy as you like.. :lol:

As for residencia - when we did my dads one last year he was issued with a A4 piece of paper, plastic on one side, and it had a "pop out" card sized section that apparently you need to carry around. We got a colour photocopy, and laminated it, and he carries that around instead.

I asked about mine, because i noticed it was different (I have a green paper like you telboy) and the woman in the police station said i should make an appointment and get a card one because mine is out of date...

Ive never been questioned yet - I assume its because the people that would ask for it dont actually know what they are looking at / for...
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:37 am

People have accepted our old NIE photocard as ID and for NIE purposes apart from the Dr's surgery who needed our passports and original little green residency 'cards' when we recently wanted to change Dr. It does say on the green cards that they cannot be used for ID.

SL ours sound like your Dad's. They are laminated on the back and you can see around the edge perforations so presumably they did pop out of a larger sheet although I cannot see that we have that. We've had ours for over 6 years now so they've been around in that format for a while.