car transport

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
wollie
Resident

car transport

Postby wollie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:57 pm

I am coming over next week and i am interested in buying a banger, his car is a few hundred km from where i am.
My question.
I am looking for "a guy" that has a jeep and trailer to transfer from A to B, i would pay the agreed sum and pay for fuel, food etc.
The idea being the person gets a few hundred €€ for day work on top of expenses and i get to buy car.
The car only worth about €1,000 so the option of using professionals out. as long as the person has insurance for whatever they have i am ok..
If my car happens to fall-off i take the hit but only for my own property.

If you all think i am silly??? maybe....

many thanks

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: car transport

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:32 pm

You do seem to have the knack of trying to make things difficult for yourself....lol
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:43 pm

"if your not livin on the edge your not livin at all"

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:30 pm

Yep, that sounds silly...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:29 pm

Why not get public transport and drive it back yourself. Much cheaper. Or is it that old it may not make it home?

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:23 pm

I am just checking the options in advance as regards transfer, the car is about 40 years old and has no brakes i am told, i have driven cars without brakes before and just used gears handbrake and when necessary but i am older and smarter now..
I have done a few of these hair-brained things before and though i never made a profit i have all of my toys and be happy to buy another.
I just need to limit losses as regards profit it is "fail fail"
This being reason for question...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:27 pm

If you do decide to drive it, in fairness to all forum members you should post where and when you would do it, so everyone can stay indoors...

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks you have actually given me an idea, the guy i spoke to said no brakes but it may just be the brakes not working well which be well within my comfort zone. My Spanish limited with technical stuff on the phone.
I know if i go to the trouble to drive to see i will buy and trying to avoid two trips as round trip 800km approx...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:00 am

out of interest what car is it?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:09 am

Hope it turns out to be a good buy whatever it is, I've just done similar. Great finding a forgotton gem.

As some here will know I've always got a couple of classic/sports in the garage and a few weeks ago I was tipped off about a car that had languished unfinished for 6 years after a ground up rebuild and bespoke engine build.

I took the risk and spoke to the family who were tasked with disposing of it and came to a deal. I reinstated all trim that was out of car, rewired dashboard and basically finished it.
In the folder that came with the car, and you can believe me or not but there were bills for a staggering 28k+ spend on it. Right time and right place can happen. It's now fully on the road and it's just been invited to its first show. Hope the OP touches lucky too. Good luck with it, it's a great hobby and interest to have.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:55 am

A nice looking car, RS ??, I think you were indeed lucky to get your hands on this but I have to say that whoever spent £28000.00 on this would be in need of serious therapy, what was it new, around 11000.00 ?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Thanks Al and I think you are bang on with all you say, although I'd thought the car new in 1988 may have been cheaper than 11k, I'll have to check on that. 9.5K rings a bell.

Yep, your therapy comment is also true albeit tongue in cheek, the money I've seen thrown at classics (as I'm sure you have) beggars belief at times, especially when the car is then abandoned before completion as this one was.

As for the 28k, I was just trying to be honest as they are the bills I actually have, there is also work and parts on the car that I've no receipts for..........I'm betting way over 30k was actually spent but I can't back that up with paperwork.

As a rough breakdown the total ground up rebuild with Ford panels and the repaint came to just shy of 8k.

Bills for engine and ancilleries come in at 12k

New Gaz gold adjustable suspension and a complete polybush of car was 3.5k

Cosworth RS (refurbished 2nd hand) braking system fitted was 2k

Exhaust system 1k
Management system 1k
Plus other sundries.

I paid a fraction of the spend for the car, I've spent 300 quid on it so far and maybe 100 hours labour to finish it.

I just hope the OP touches lucky with his, it can happen. I've made bad mistakes before in the classic world so it can and does happen as you know. However sometimes you just touch lucky out of the blue.

Thanks Al, and keep us posted OP on how you get on. Would love to know what the car is too.

Cheers

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:21 pm

And to think back in the 70s I owned an RS1600, mark1 with the BDA engine, twin Webers and Boreham custom pack! Got rid if it because it never started every time....

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:22 pm

100k now minimum lad. I am crying for you!!!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:23 pm

Probably the most sought after AVO car in history.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Thanks Al and I think you are bang on with all you say, although I'd thought the car new in 1988 may have been cheaper than 11k, I'll have to check on that. 9.5K rings a bell.

Yep, your therapy comment is also true albeit tongue in cheek, the money I've seen thrown at classics (as I'm sure you have) beggars belief at times, especially when the car is then abandoned before completion as this one was.

As for the 28k, I was just trying to be honest as they are the bills I actually have, there is also work and parts on the car that I've no receipts for..........I'm betting way over 30k was actually spent but I can't back that up with paperwork.

As a rough breakdown the total ground up rebuild with Ford panels and the repaint came to just shy of 8k.

Bills for engine and ancilleries come in at 12k

New Gaz gold adjustable suspension and a complete polybush of car was 3.5k

Cosworth RS (refurbished 2nd hand) braking system fitted was 2k

Exhaust system 1k
Management system 1k
Plus other sundries.

I paid a fraction of the spend for the car, I've spent 300 quid on it so far and maybe 100 hours labour to finish it.

I just hope the OP touches lucky with his, it can happen. I've made bad mistakes before in the classic world so it can and does happen as you know. However sometimes you just touch lucky out of the blue.

Thanks Al, and keep us posted OP on how you get on. Would love to know what the car is too.

Cheers

Excellent. :thumbup: Nice to see it has had a omplete polybush too.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Time to get back on topic I think, much as I love talking about cars.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks Olive, I see you know the benefits this can bring. Yes the new bushes are a must I now realise on an older car like this, especially with beefed up performance.

So tight and precise the car belies its years and is just so poised compared to how I remember these cars handling when I last drove them. I also think the front anti roll bar has been upgraded, it is very big in section, although I've not actually seen another RS up close yet to check if has or not.

The braking system is what Impresses me though, no more drums on the rear has really made it stop like a modern car.

I just saw your post Sid. When classics are mentioned I can't help it lol.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:46 am

peteroldracer wrote:And to think back in the 70s I owned an RS1600, mark1 with the BDA engine, twin Webers and Boreham custom pack! Got rid if it because it never started every time....
In the early 90's I bought a brand new Cosworth RS 2000, it was stolen three times in three months, The first time they took the seats, the second time the wheels and the third time they just used it for joyriding, I sold it very quickly it was just a thief magnet !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:31 am

Since this thread has gone off topic, despite my request to get back on topic, I am closing it.

Start a classic car thread separately, in the car section, if you wish.

Sid