humidity this summer

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

humidity this summer

Postby gavilan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:27 pm

aeound here, Axarquia Alta, summer heat did not really kick in til early-mid July ... even then it was not as hot as usual ... most days 30 ish ... but many more humid days than other years ... 60-70% ... what has summer been like for others?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: humidity this summer

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:07 pm

It was the same in the area of Guadix/Baza... For once the Uk had a better start to Summer and many weeks of nice weather however it has disappeared for now. Some are glad to have the good old British weather back but when it is hot in Uk i find it more humid than in Spain.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:17 pm

Don't know about the humidity. This last week has been odd . We had a very localised and heavy storm. That left that lovely clean smell afterwards but was humid. The locals always say that July is the hotter month but we always feel August is hotter. maybe the novelty of the heat wears thin by August. Definitely not as hot as last year!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Obviously it depends where you are. Temperatures and humidity will vary a lot. We are 230m up and we tend to be much hotter than the coast 2km away as the land below us heats up in the sun and rises towards us.

Looking at my figures over the last 10 years, the variances are quite small if you look at the mean temperature (more accurate than a crude hi/lo average) the hottest July was in 2015 and unusually it was about 2c higher than the average. The other years were within a degree or less. This July was very slightly cooler than average but humidity was lower than average so it was generally quite pleasant.

August was hotter than average and humidity was 6% higher so it felt pretty hot, combined with very little breeze.

On average August is very slightly hotter than July but only by about half a degree but the combination of increased humidity and the fact that we are getting fed up with the heat by then, means that subjectively it is always the hottest month when in fact, in many years, July is hotter. This year August was hotter.

One thing about the summer weather here is that it is so consistent. It has been over 90f (I have to use Farenheight for comparison because the UK press for some reason revert to it as soon as it gets the slightest bit hot!) for over 65 days now and that includes today.

The highest we have had was 38.9c (102f) about a week or so ago.

At least we don’t have to put up with the temperatures in Sevilla and Cordoba!

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:33 am

We have felt it was more humid this August but as everywhere is bone dry I'm not sure where it's coming from! I find it is the humidity that is makes the heat feel so much worse.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:21 pm

the weather seems very like the town halls ... there is no common experience ... depends so much on where one lives!