Residencia in Malag

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Residencia in Malag

Postby jaycecampo » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Has anyone recently obtained Residencia in the Malaga police station ?
Am interested in their latest requirements regarding ones financial situation. I am a pensioner but my pension is very small, I do however have a reasonable amount of savings. Some areas accept savings but other need a pension of a certain amount. Thanks

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Residencia in Malag

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:12 am

I would check also regarding the provision of medical services, for example do you need private medical insurance !

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:50 pm

I presume they are an O.A.P so will be covered by the S1 if they are from the U.K..

jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jaycecampo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Yes, I am a pensioner, but also have private medical insurance, but not the type they insist on. It's what they call part payment. For example I pay 12 euros towards a visit to a private Doctor. However I can get the S1.
It's really the financials I am interested in. Do they take UK savings into account, or is it best to bring an amount into my Spanish bank, say 10,000.
It seems some areas accept 7,000 in your Spanish account and others insist on an income of about 600 euros a month, which on paper I don't have.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:20 pm

It really varies depending on where you registar. If theres a way of you going to the station before you try to registar then i would do that and physically ask them what they require as they are a law onto themselves. I havnt heard of savings in a uk account been excepted though. Most require a bank certificate from your spanish bank showing what you have.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Isn't there a National Police station nearer to you than Malaga?
The only way of finding out what their current requirements are, they can vary day to day, is to go and ask them.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:28 pm

But if you are a UK pensioner, and EU citizen, all you need for health care is the S1 - for residencia all you need, as a UK/EU pensioner, is your ID - passport, proof of address - elec bill or escritura/contract for renting, marriage cert if relevant (no need to translate any of these), maybe birth cert ...
As a S1 toting pensioner you do not need to declare any other income - it is only folk who apply before receiving a state pension who need to ...

You can then stop your medical insurance if you want to because you are covered - depends on your own personal preferences of course.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Of course, proving to them that you have a state pension could be tricky. What are you going to show them?

They are unlikely to accept your annual notice of what your pension will be from the DWP. A few months of transfers from the DWP to your Spanish bank account, labelled “pension” should be fine.

Of course, not everyone gets the full UK pension so that could be too low, bearing in mind that Spanish state pensions are generally higher.

The problem is that Spanish and EU law says that they cannot lay down specific amounts and every case has to be reviewed on the individual circumstances of the applicant - which leads to huge differences in what individual offices will accept and makes it difficult to challenge their decision.

Sid

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:02 am

Sid - the S1 is the proof of status as a state pensioner from an EU country. OP says he can get that, so should be OK?
Private insurance for health care is irrelevant, if he wants to use the health service. Pots of money coming into Spain, or not, is irrelevant. He just needs S1 to prove that he is a pensioner, and then he can also sign his dependents on too - wife for instance may not be pensioner, but will be classed as his dependent. Amount of pension does not seem to be relevant either - it is just the status that is important.
As previously discussed EU citizen has right of residence anyway, it is just necessary to do the paperwork ...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:33 am

It proves you are a state pensioner, but it doesn't show how much money you get. The OP stated that his income is below €600 so that could be a problem, depending on which office you go to. Capital, rather than income is frequently accepted, even just an escritura on property has been accepted. You can even use an unused credit card balance.

In my opinion, it would be very unwise to assume that just producing an S1 would suffice.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:37 am

Gasman wrote: As previously discussed EU citizen has right of residence anyway, it is just necessary to do the paperwork ...
You have the right of residence ONLY if you meet the requirements in the registration procedure. Many applicants have been rejected.

Sid

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:39 pm

We went to get our Residencia earlier this year at the Torre del Mar police station. We took our S1 forms, plus the other bits of paper that were required. As regards proving your finances, we took things like bank statements, etc. However, they only looked at the Nota Simple and the payment receipt for purchase of our house. So, as long as you can show proof that you own property here, you shouldn't have a problem.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:53 pm

As I have already stated the requirements seem to vary from office to office if not day to day or person to person.
So the only definitive requirements you can get are by asking at the office where you intend, hope, to register.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:01 pm

The best thing to do is just go to register at the office, if it's not too far from you. The worse thing they can do is turn you away. At least they should then explain what information they require from you.

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Gerry makes a valid point here...
gerryh wrote:Isn't there a National Police station nearer to you than Malaga?
The only way of finding out what their current requirements are, they can vary day to day, is to go and ask them.
Last year I helped a friend get his 'residencia' and when we went to the main Policia in Malaga (with an appointment), they refused to process his paperwork and told us that we had to go to the nearest Policia Nacional that handles these matters, which in this case was here in Arroyo de la Miel. (The reason we hadn't gone there originally is that the waiting list for appointments was very long, but they helped us in the end anyway).

So if you are living in the Pizarra/Alora area as your profile shows, you might need to go to the relevant Policia Nacional (with an Extranjeros department) nearest to your location. And it's all done with appointments these days, which you can get online.

FWIW, when I did my 'residencia' paperwork at the Policia Nacional in Malaga in 2014, it was recommended that I put €8000 into a bank account and obtain a certificate from the bank confirming this. Which I duly did and I was then issued with the green 'card' paperwork with no problems (I also showed them details of the private insurance policy I had in place). But that was a while ago now, so the 'rules' might have changed since then. Plus, as mentioned above, each police station seems to have their own interpretation of the 'rules', so the best thing is to go in and ask as a first step.

jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jaycecampo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Thank you everyone for your help. Looks like a trip to Malaga, I was told that is where I have to go. Pity they can't put the requirements on the web site.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:27 pm

What happens if you have no pension because of age but plenty of money in the bank.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:10 pm

I would assume the post from Terry Tibbs answers this:-

"it was recommended that I put €8000 into a bank account and obtain a certificate from the bank confirming this" :wave:

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Well yes, that was what I had to do four years ago as a non-pensioner. But the 'rules' may well have changed since then, hence the suggestion to ask at the relevant police station in advance if possible.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Some stations want to see a monthly income rather than a lump sum that can be moved or spent. As always depends on what the office wants