Itchy Feet..

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Itchy Feet..

Postby olive » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:07 pm

Pamela1 wrote:Sounds like a good plan olive. :thumbup:
Have a care, we might get roped into buying the motor home for Gordon if we show too much enthusiasm :lol:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Olive & Pamela
Yes ..Good Plan...but I already tried that and it only lasted a few weeks, my old Aunt once told me that our family always had one boy with curly hair and he would always be an adventurer and traveller.....I got the short straw for my generation.... :D

I'm also a fanatical collector of everything so can't live in a small space and downsizing to me would be difficult, I've looked at loads of property for sale, but the houses I like are always the same size as now or bigger ... :oops:
And yes I suppose that I could cut down my collections....but actually no I don't think that I could, I need to keep busy..!

Did I mention that I like history ?
Well at the moment to keep my mind off my itchy feet I'm researching how the ancients fastened their clothes, did they have buttons ,? I thought, and yes they did, sort of... 3-4,000 years ago they used toggles similar to how Paddington Bear fasten his duffle coat...I already have a collection of Roman clothes fasteners, called 'Fibulas'...not alot of people know that.
Well look at me chatting away and I must get on with catalogueing my Guinness Beer mat collection... 8) ....
Regards,
Gordon.... formerly I had white teeth and black curly hair and now I have white hair and black curly teeth.... :wave:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Olive, we have escaped that one because Gordon said he's already done it. :lol:

Gordon, i hope you are not to dig out one day with all the items you have collected, do they have that tv program in Spain called hoarders? :lol: It does sound like downsizing could be difficult and just think of the packing should you ever move. :problem:
I think it's great that you keep so busy and no i didn't know Roman clothes fasteners are called Fibulas but i do now.
Brilliant post Gordon, made me chuckle. :thumbup:

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:33 am

In Australia, mainly in the Outback, they do what is known as "Walk-in Walk-out house sales, in which you leave all your stuff and move to and inherit a new home full of the last persons stuff. Distances are so vast and the requirements to sustain life are probably mostly the same where-ever you go it makes a lot of sense.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:09 am

Glad i don't live in the Outback, personally i wouldn't like to do that and i doubt Gordon would want to part with his collections, dosen't mean though that it wouldn't work for others especially if the condition.of the items were in better shape than the ones they were leaving behind, but if they wern't, oh no!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:27 am

Life has slightly different values in the Outback ;-)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:15 am

BLIMEY !!!...
Pamela, I hope that everyone doesn't have a 'conjured up picture' of me sat amongst piles of empty cartons and stacks of back issues of Horse and Hound/Antiques Gazette and Playboy.. :shock:

Actually ..quite the opposite, everything I collect is catalogued and in a labelled and numbered plastic lidded box ..which are probably more valuable than the contents. :D

I clean and restore everything to 'museum quality' to preserve them for future generations...well it keeps me out of mischief and keeps my brain functioning. :thumbup:

And ..I would recommend everyone to start a collection of something, doesn't have to be expensive, but it does help you from becoming bored or spending too many hours in the pub.!!!

Country boy,
That's actually a good idea, maybe not for me though..... :think:

I have collector friends all over the world, and before the internet I had to write letters every day, but of course I received lots of mail and my friends would put a good selection of stamps on the letters as I of course collect stamps !
Not long ago I received a large parcel of 1930's/1940's mens ties , which I also collect, they had been left to me by an old friend in North Carolina, I did meet him once when we lived in Florida, a great character, and he had left instructions with his daughter to make sure that I was left the collection...very sad..but a kind thought.
So you see the more I look at my present lifestyle the 'itchy feet' situation seems less of an option.......
Regards,
Gordon the Collector ..not the Hoarder... :wave:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:18 pm

I can vouche for Gordon being a collector and not a hoarder as OH and I have been to their lovely home and had a tour! And a wonderful lunch! Your place is perfect for you, with your collections, Gordon - it's such a big house which you need. The work involved in moving would put me off, if I were you.

As for hoarders, my eldest grandson has his own business - basically he 'rescues space' whatever and wherever that might be. Some of the 'before' photos of houses where perhaps a hoarder has died and the relatives want it cleared...... I can't even begin to decribe...... he certainly earns his money!

I'm still feeling restless, will wait to see what happens next year, though. I have pretty much decided I will at the very least descend on family for July and August - I'm finding those 2 months unbearable.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Irene kindly added......I can vouche for Gordon being a collector and not a hoarder as OH and I have been to their lovely home and had a tour! And a wonderful lunch! Your place is perfect for you, with your collections, Gordon - it's such a big house which you need. The work involved in moving would put me off, if I were you.

As for hoarders, my eldest grandson has his own business - basically he 'rescues space' whatever and wherever that might be. Some of the 'before' photos of houses where perhaps a hoarder has died and the relatives want it cleared...... I can't even begin to decribe...... he certainly earns his money!

I'm still feeling restless, will wait to see what happens next year, though. I have pretty much decided I will at the very least descend on family for July and August - I'm finding those 2 months unbearable.''

Irene,
Thank you for that !!
I spent many years house clearing..sometimes very rewarding but often we had to wear full protective clothing, such appalling conditions some people live in !
Anyone who is or has been involved with the Antiques business wil agree with me ..I'm sure.!
Please pass on my regards to your Grandson and say well done !
Regards,
Gordon

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Gordon, good to hear you are a collector and not a horder :) Your kind of collecting sounds very interesting and a great hobby to be into. My kind of collecting if you can call it that has come and gone over the years from those Spanish china dolls to a huge collection of Spanish ceramic wall plates and ceramic plaque houses. i have many shapes and sizes and displayed them all over the kitchen and dining room walls, looking back it looked like a gypsy den. :lol: :crazy: Finally one day i decided i'd out grown the obsession and packed them all away, same with the dolls. The dolls are still packed away and I've often thought about getting rid of them on ebay but i never do anything about it...The houses and wall plates are slowly making their way back over to Spain bit by bit, i now have some displayed on my campo house walls outside and i must say they look impressive but I can add that if i sell the place they won't be getting dragged back. :lol:
Other than that in my more mature years i have become minimalist apart from a collection of small crystals and some Lladro, i can't be doing with the dusting anymore. :thumbdown: The only other things i collect are £2 coins, been collecting them for years and one day i shall cash them in if the daughter decides to get married. :D

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Thanks, Gordon! Yes, some properties he has to go in hazmat suited!

m&md&d

Postby m&md&d » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:59 pm

What a fascinating thread whihc has set my mind racing -- we are in the opposite siituation in that we currently live in London and very seriously thinking about a move to Andalucia.

We have found the last few years tough going in the UK

-- everything has become noticeably more expensive (eg: household bills, don't even get me started on Council Tax, car fuel)
-- winters are depressing, grey and dull
-- traffic is a nightmare
-- Brexit has become so divisive, no matter how you voted and you get the feeling that the country will be divided for a long time .......
-- health service has deteriorated soooo much its unreognisable / is a shadow of what it used to be. It now feels like it is only able to support you if your ailment is considered "serious"

So we have spent a few months near Marbella this winter and have fallen head over heels for the place and climate. So much so that we are considering a move. Fortunately we would be able to keep a home, albeit much smaller, in the UK whilst also having funds to build a very nice home close to the coast on the east side of Marbella.

Of course we need to ensure that we don't make a decision whilst in "holiday buzz" mode. Fortunately I am very lucky to work in a field that allows flexible working so I am now trying out the commute to and from London to see what that is like. I previously commuted between London and a major European capital weekly for more than 5 years and, whilst it is not for everyone, I know that I "can do it" if that makes sense.

Much to think about ......... happy for any pearls of wisdom !

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:45 pm

Hello m&md&m and welcome to the forum. I too loved this thread and as you will have observed we did have some fun with it. Why not try renting first to see how it goes?

m&md&d

Postby m&md&d » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:38 pm

This is indeed our plan Pamela1.

Fortunately we are very lucky that, if we choose to, we can keep a foot in both the UK.

It is a big decision and one which will evolve over time: knowing that we have this option helps makes us feel that we are not putting all our eggs in one basket.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Sound's like you have got your sensible heads on. :wave:

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm

m&m&d - you mention the possibility of a new-build in the Marbella area - I am sure locals will come on soon with further advice, but I would be wary of such an idea. That area has one of the worst reputations for dodgy construction, as regards planning permission, rogue operators etc etc. Personally I would go for renting initially (which is essentially what you are doing at the moment, as you try your commute), but buy a property that suits you already up and running, and check that you get all the proper paperwork to prove it is legal - this way you will have peace of mind, and know that everything is working without the hassle of fruitless chasing on a construction site.
I am sure you will find lots of threads and posts on the Forum to assist you with how to go about things - welcome! Do let us know how you get on!