Pensions

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Pensions

Postby katy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Apologies if this has been on, don't always read the subject. I signed a petition at change.org re. the freezing of basic pensions for expats outside EU. Had an update today and the petition has now reached 182,000. Maybe something you may want to sign as it could affect other countries after Brexit.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pensions

Postby gerryh » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Do you have a link to the petition?
Was the petition supporting the freezing of pensions or against the freezing of pensions?
Not clear from you post.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:59 pm

https://www.change.org/p/stop-denying-m ... igned=true

I think this must be the one, Gerry. Thanks, Katy - I hadn't seen this.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:22 pm

While I thoroughly agree with the petition, it does not affect any of us in Spain as our pensions are protected by the "triple lock", and unless they choose to change that, they will increase in line with inflation. There has been no suggestion that this would change because of Brexit. There are many non EU countries where this applies and they get their increases, sadly Canada is not one of them.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... te-pension

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-re ... on-brexit/

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Thanks Irene. That.'s the one.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Katy, :thumbup:

Sid, I wouldn't trust the Tories as far as I could throw them and they would like to take this protection down to a double lock, removing the 2.5%. For the time being, even after Brexit, it seems we are safe, though. I've signed the petition, as it is very unfair to pensioners in Canada, New Zealand and Australia, (obviously, you agree). I've also shared it to facebook and it's being signed and shared from there, too.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Of course, the Tories like any other party in power can change this, but they would lose millions of votes if they stopped the Triple Lock. The issue is not a Brexit one as they have and will continue to have reciprocal arrangements with all the existing countries, especially Spain.

I have always thought it crazy that just because you move to Canada you lock your pension, but if you move to the USA you don't. Don't even mention the fact that you are OK in the Phillipines - how did that happen?

Sid

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:41 pm

I agree, it makes no sense and is very unfair.