Changing Banks

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fincalospinos
Resident

Changing Banks

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:14 am

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I would like some advice on changing Spanish bank accounts. I understand that in the UK it is a fairly simple process, with all regular transactions and DD's changed automaticaly. Is it the same here in Spain, or do you need to change all these things yourself ?
Hardworking resident !!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Changing Banks

Postby costakid » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:29 am

We have been with the same bank for 16 years because of the hassle of changing the DDs. I dont want to arrive and find the water is cut off because i didn’t do something when moving banks.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:04 am

My understanding is that, here in Spain, your new bank will set up regular transactions and change DDs for you.
Why do you want to change your bank.
If you feel you have a problem with them then speak to the manager and ask for the problems to be resolved or you will change banks.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:42 am

Hi Gerry, thanks for the response. I currently have accounts with La Caixa and Cajamar, La Caixa for 6 years and Cajamar for nearly 20 years. Unfortunately La Caixa has developed a habit of taking random payments from the account, only small amounts, but annoying, and whilst they are rectified following a visit to the bank they keep happening, and quiet frankly, it is becoming a pain in the rear. I have had no problems with Cajamar over the years, and their charges are slightly lower, so a time for change methinks.
Hardworking resident !!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Hmmm.know your frustration...we were with Caja Granada..We sorted our account in Granada but we usually bank in Guadix...If its not a major banking outlet then you are screwed as we have found..Twice we had to travel to Granada bank to sort out the simplest of things..Caja Granada were taken over by Bankia..we had to go to Granada for the change over, although raised eyebrows in Granada because they thought any branch could deal with our prob..incompetence all round..Then suddenly a few weeks back there was an error in Bankia and many accounts were blocked..yet another trip to Granada because local bank staff havent a clue..Do they know what they are doing in Spain?

To add..best job in the world..spanish banks..have a little yawn..a chat to friends..dosent matter that they have a que a mile long!!!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:57 pm

We changed from Banco Popular to Caja Rural. They could not have been more helpful. All our DDs were transfered and they have been incredibly helpful since then.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Great newd Sid, how far back were you in the que? Spanish banks are the worst service ever..usually one or at best 2 people sitting at the counter while many other staff are placed at random desks..well aware of the lengthy ques...These are banks who have your money..not the other way around..

Also when changing bank accounts in Uk its normal proceedure to have dd's changed without hassel..that is taken for granted that it will be done..

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:51 pm

I changed banks in 2010 having been with Unicaja for 10 years. Having heard horrendous reports about the process did it myself. Quite easy. On the other point you mention, my bank Santander have recently changed the whole operating proceedure inbank. Now you have to log into a machine with NIE number choosing what service you require then you wait for your number to be called. Much better than the old system where people came in made their place in the queue known then went out to do their shopping!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:33 pm

"I have had no problems with Cajamar over the years, and their charges are slightly lower,"
We have just had a letter from Cajamar laying out some very complex ways that they are going to start charging, even though we have insurance through them, a credit card same, and are members of the bank (paying 60 Euros each for the privilege some years ago), so may be worth keeping an eye on.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:26 am

Why not get a bank account outside Spain. There are plenty of banks who offer EU wide bank accounts and don't charge a penny in maintenance or ATM fees. English speaking banks in Malta and Ireland all covered by govt. deposit guarantee. Direct Debits etc. all the same now we have SEPA. Then you can avoid your bank account being frozen in Spain etc etc.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Good thinking Paddy. I had an account in the Netherlands when I lived there although was easy as I used to visit there a lot to see family.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:19 pm

El Cid wrote:We changed from Banco Popular to Caja Rural. They could not have been more helpful. All our DDs were transfered and they have been incredibly helpful since then.

Sid
We did the same from Barclays Espana, Caja Rural are a lovely Bank, they handled all the changes the staff are so sweet and do try to speak Ingles if the going gets tough! Inbound Transfers do tend to get stuck for 24 hours or so, but I expect the overnight market in Madrid yields them a small divvi! Highly recommended.