OAP trips in Spain.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

OAP trips in Spain.

Postby katy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Met a woman at a party this week. She lives in a village in Valencia province. She went on a cheap pensioners trip organised by the village to Andalucia. Lots of extras, coach trips every day included. they stayed in a 3 star hotel on the coast which she said was basic but clean and although the food wasn't great it was eatable. She said there was the usual bunfights at the buffet every meal but it didn't bother her. She said she just leaned over them as they were all about four foot nine and she is five foot nine :D
Every day they left the hotel around 7.30am for a tour which would arrive back at the hotel for lunch at 3pm. was a bit busy as one covered Mijas and Ronda, another day they did Marbella and Gibraltar. Bit of a whistle stop. She said it was excellent value for money but I forgot to ask the price. Has anyone ever done any pensioner trips from Andalucia?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: OAP trips in Spain.

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:05 pm

I'm guessing it was with the Imserso programme. Prices can be found here:-
http://www.imserso.es/imserso_01/enveje ... /index.htm
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Oh thanks. I wondered afterwards why I never asked the price. They seem cheap don't they especially counting excursions everyday which can be expensive. Good chance to practice your Spanish.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:28 pm

Yes they are cheap. Not been on one yet as they seem to get booked up very quickly after their release date.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Hola

My local pensioner's centre do week long holidays; always cheap. They start off about ten o'clock at night by coach to the destination changing drivers throughout the night. After booking in at a hotel they then go off on the coach again all day arriving back for dinner with a disco afterwards! they sleep until early with the coach leaving next day about 8am!

Whilst you don't have to go on the trips the do cover the area in detail and are at no extra cost. Generally about 300€ for the week all in from memory

Davexf

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:46 pm

If your resident and of pensionable age dont you still get a free holiday every year?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:37 am

Not that I am aware of.
Who organises these and how do I apply?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:31 am

I had heard that the government do this for the oldies. Sid may know more or Beach.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:48 am

gerryh wrote:
costakid wrote:If your resident and of pensionable age dont you still get a free holiday every year?
Not that I am aware of.
Who organises these and how do I apply?
Cheers
Gerry
I think most are organised through pensioners clubs. Where I lived in Elviria it was called centro tercera edad Las Chapas. In Mijas it was called Hogar de Pensionistas. Here is an example of one organised from the North of Spain to Marbella but it does say for members only.

https://www.lne.es/oriente/2018/08/18/v ... 34973.html

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:31 am

They aren't free, though - this one costs €265, it says. As you say, pensioners' clubs often run such trips, and there is the official Imserso scheme too, but no free ones.

They certainly sound very cheap but group travel is my idea of hell!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:39 am

Free at Last wrote:

They certainly sound very cheap but group travel is my idea of hell!
Me too but if elderly and on your own it may feel safer. We once went on a coach tour of Italy. I found it tiring, not a morning person :mrgreen: Some days it covered 300 miles. One day we opted out as it was Naples and had been before, the organiser was really annoyed, like being on a school trip :lol:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:19 pm

OAP trips have been 'around ' for many years, I remember that the same time each year we would get the same people visiting our shops in Benidorm, usually in groups of at least ten they were very noisy but very friendly and they would buy massive amounts of our 'bargain' clothing, I actually met an elderly lady here in Andalucia who was a regular visitor at our shops.

We have been on many OAP day trips from our present village, usually the only Brits in the groups of around 50 people, and they are loud and sing and tell jokes, but we enjoy the events.
As stated most are organised by the' Pensionista Groups', in fact we are on the committee and have helped with many events including 5 day trips and day trips and other activities in the village.
Most of the trips are paid for by each pensioner, however they do represent good value and although the long travel arrangements are rather daunting they are good fun.
There are also many subsidised trips including the events that have to include sitting in sales presentations for about 3 hours,but it really does help to integrate with the locals, something many Brits seem to avoid ?.

There are free or heavily subsidised holidays organised by Social Services, I believe, but I think that they are for 'over 80 year olds'.

In UK they have very similar organised holidays and I remember back in the early 1970's that we accepted small groups of pensioners at our guest house in Bridlington, they were mainly from Huddersfield/Leeds area and the bill was paid by Social Services, we never had a problem with any of the guests and for some of them it was the first holiday in their lifetimes.

I would recommend anyone over 60 to join the local pensioner organisations, it really is a great way to integrate and don't worry about language barriers..youwill still be made very welcome....
Regards,
Gordon..The Old Codger.. :wave:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:35 pm

Gerry, I remembered the junta de Andalucia ones as there was one close by us on the beach in Elviria. I often used to see oldies wandering around Supersol hmm and erring at the prices. There were always about ten of them together, one would buy a bottle of water and they would all stand at the till queue with him :D It was a prime spot amongst the sand dunes and a short bus ride into marbella Centro. Have also seen groups with downs syndrome etc.

I think they maybe more generously subsidised. Found this and there are others marked on the map. You can book online, email and there is actually a phone number.
https://www.juntadeandalucia.es/organis ... libre.html

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Katy
Thanks for the link. I will look at it later.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:31 pm

I have been on the Government ones three times now. Fantastic value for money. 200 euros for 8 days including transpart. Went to Javea last time, the 200 euros included flight, all inclusive including wine. I thought the food was great and the hotel lovely and clean. Included transfer to and from the airport. My 200 euros included single supplement. I have never had a problem booking the holidays I want, but as Gerry has said get in early and book. :thumbup:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"