A Frightening Experience

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gruff
Resident

A Frightening Experience

Postby gruff » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am

Driving home last night (hire car) from Torre del Mar about 2100hrs. About 1 km from home noticed the car behind me was flashing his headlights, had the hazard warning lights on and using his horn. I slowed down to let him past but he stayed behind me. I turned off the road onto the track to the house and he followed us. By this time we were really panicking and reckoned the best thing to do was to get home quickly. Unfortunately it is at the end of a narrow track with nowhere to go. He followed us down. He got out of the car (only him in the car) and started explaining in broken English how he had no petrol, a broken window, a wife in Malaga. He said he needed money. His language wasn't abusive, offensive or threatening but he obviously didn't care about the stress he was causing us. I gave him a 10 euro note which he grudgingly accepted and left. I've spent half the night thinking if I should have reacted differently.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: A Frightening Experience

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:04 pm

That sounds like the con artist who goes around the area saying his wife is seriusly ill in hospital in Malaga and can he "borrow" €50 to get a taxi to see her.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:59 pm

I would have told him to Foxtrot Oscar under normal circumstance but as he was outside your house I think you did the right thing.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:54 pm

that was a terrifying encounter and very stressful ... ?did you have a chance to note car registration number? ...?report to police?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:45 pm

It is easy to be wise after the event but I would have driven to the nearest police station or Guardia Civil post or even a well-lit filling station forecourt where there would be CCTV. I don't want to alarm you but you shouldn't really have driven home because he now knows where you live.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:46 pm

Following on from Beachcomber's post I know it would be very difficult to drive to somewhere, as suggested, from where you were.
However if it was the same con artist that I mentioned earlier then he came on foot to where I live. I wouldn't give him any money but a neighbour did.
A few months later we were burgled. He was the main suspect. He had left some blood traces when he brook in and he was arrested, tried and jailed. The police had a very thick file on him but the never, until he left blood traces, had any firm evidence against him.
So be very careful securing your house.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:53 pm

Yes, this guy has been operating in this area for years. His wife must have been in hospital now at least 10 years! His story is always the same or very similar. I gave him a few euros once and he made it obvious that he wanted more.
Gerry

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 am

Thank you all for the replies. I never thought he would follow us all the way home! But how stupid was he. If there had been 2 blokes in our car the outcome would have been very different!!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:42 am

Living in the campo myself, I can well imagine that you thought he wouldn't follow you all the way to your door and that it was the best thing to do. It sounded a very scary incidence. I am often out late at night on my own and thought that if anything like that happened to me I would detour to the nearest police station.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:27 pm

How awfully terrifying. You need to let the police know and that there are suggestions that he could be the guy who was jailed so that they can warn him off.

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:19 am

We were burgled last April. Going to the Police was almost as stressful as the burglary. A friend of a friend acted as interpreter. When we first went they said come back tomorrow. We went back the next day and waited 2 hours. It appears they knew who it was, a local man. Nothing has been done.
But yes, you are right, I should go to the police...

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:11 pm

That is totally different than my experience.
When we were burgled I phoned the police, they arrived shortly after and had a look around.
They called a forensic team who arrived and checked for finger prints and took sample from the blood stain that the burgular had left.
Had to go to the police station later to make a dununcia which was quite straightforward and relatively easy.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris