Jewellery covered in contents insurance Cajamar

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Jewellery covered in contents insurance Cajamar

Postby fyfin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:04 pm

Has anyone any experience if contents insurance here (with Cajamar in particular) is similar to UK e.g. you have to itemise anything over £1,000 or some other arbitrary figure. I have a Spanish friend here who lost her husband a couple of years ago and then was burgled on her birthday when she was out having her hair done. She is devastated and unfortunately had high value jewellery left to her by her mother including a Rolex watch presented to her husband which had never been worn. A gold bracelet from her mother was purchased many years ago for over €3,000 but unfortunately she had never photographed or itemised anything and has no receipts.
She is insured by Cajamar who have asked for a list and values but I think she has no chance of getting much compensation. The items were in a small safe which was taken as well.
The only question really is whether anyone knows if there is an individual item cover. She has asked me to help make a list and I will help of course but I suspect it will be a waste of time as she has little or no evidence to support the claim.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Jewellery covered in contents insurance Cajamar

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:48 pm

Sorry to hear of your friends experience, but it is only too common. Most policies are severely limited when it comes to paying out for jewellery etc. unless it has been declared as a separate high value item.
You are probably wasting your time getting anything for thr items stolen, but if you want to protect what is left, you need to submit photos and receipts or valuations for any item you want individually covered. There will probably be an increase in premium, but nothing compared to the cost of replacing an unspecified item should it, heaven forbid happen again.

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:31 pm

I know Sid, I can't believe she was so silly but she is so distressed that I don't want to say too much to her. She's sorting out an alarm now like so many here do after a burglary but too late.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:11 pm

If she wants an alarm, look at Prosegur or Securitas.

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:49 am

Yep we have Securitas and we know it works as I triggered it when I forgot to unset it. I just wish she had said something before and I could have advised her. I had no idea she had such valuable stuff. No insurance company is going to pay out when you can't even describe properly what was taken and no record of it.
Lesson learnt but too late as it often is here.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:52 am

I have nothing of value in my rented apartment in Las Palmas so I don't really have any knowledge of this company but in my home in the U K I do have some items of high value, One in particular is an ink sketch by George Braque who was part of the cubism movement along with Picasso, when I wanted to upgrade my home contents insurance some years ago they insisted on provenance (which I have), a digital photograph, and a copy of the receipt (which I have), also photographs of some of my wife's expensive jewellery some of it from the 19th century (family heirlooms) which had to be independently assessed and photographed, obviously she had no receipts for these items,when all this had been done we arrived at a replacement value in case or theft (not loss) subject to the relevant price of gold.
I don't know if this info is of any use to you but this was our experience in the U K.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:53 am

Another aspect springs to mind - if the items were in a safe, and the safe was nicked also, did she have mention on her insurance policy that she DOES have a safe, and that her items WERE IN the safe - Our insurance policy clearly asks this question ... and does better cover if a safe is involved.
She may not have an official valuation certificate, but does she at least have any family photos of some or any of the items which can at least support her claim that they existed ... ? She will have done a police report, I suppose? One can only hope that the police eventually find the scoundrels and may recuperate some or all.
What a shame for this poor lady. You need to read the policy with her, and check exclusions etc. If she cannot find the actual policy, the insurance should be able to email a copy of it.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:15 am

Believe it or not they were caught on a neighbour's cctv although not the faces. The local police are fairly certain they know who they are and have arrested one of the suspects but on another charge. They say they don't have enough evidence to charge anyone for the for the robbery. It's a small town here and word gets around. Maybe they had an idea that she had some valuable stuff and must have been watching as it was done shortly after she went for a hair appointment. The police have a report and are aware of the safe etc but they don't hold out much hope of recovering any items. The thieves must have thought they'd hit the jackpot.
She's literally got no evidence whatsoever that any of these items existed, not even photos as most were never worn, possibly because of the value and fear of being nicked so ironic that it happened at home.
I'm afraid the insurance company will refute any claim as any sensible company would, let's face it, why would they believe her.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:27 pm

Gasman wrote:Another aspect springs to mind - if the items were in a safe, and the safe was nicked also, did she have mention on her insurance policy that she DOES have a safe, and that her items WERE IN the safe - Our insurance policy clearly asks this question ... and does better cover if a safe is involved.
She may not have an official valuation certificate, but does she at least have any family photos of some or any of the items which can at least support her claim that they existed ... ? She will have done a police report, I suppose? One can only hope that the police eventually find the scoundrels and may recuperate some or all.
What a shame for this poor lady. You need to read the policy with her, and check exclusions etc. If she cannot find the actual policy, the insurance should be able to email a copy of it.

We were also asked if we had a safe (we do) any items not worn on a daily basis had to be left in the safe !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:30 pm

El Cid wrote:If she wants an alarm, look at Prosegur or Securitas.

Sid
Both top notch providers !!