Electricity, regulated or free market supply

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Electricity, regulated or free market supply

Postby Wicksey » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:12 am

Now that I have at last accessed Endesa online I thought I would get the Happy Tempo discount of 2 free hours a day. Computer says no :think:

So I started to look in a bit more detail at my bills which come from Endesa XXI which is the regulated market. Seems that there is no fixed price for the kws I use but it fluctuates all the time like the exchange rate does. At peak periods the price is highest, and looking at our usage, it tends to be at what I think are peak periods! More info here
https://www.endesaclientes.com/free-mar ... arket-pvpc

Our last bill was 73€ for one month and our biggest user is the water heater on for an hour or two a day, and the evenings when we don't use the woodburner and have the aircon on for heating. We have a gas cooker. Daily usage fluctuates between 6 and 12Kws depending on the heating source. Considering our friends are all electric (their aircon is the same as ours and is their only form of heating, their cooker is all electric) their bill for last month is the same as ours. As they have the Happy Tempo discount it would seem worth changing.

So I wondered what contracts others are on and whether it's something they are aware of. I think we'll need to change to the free market Endesa first then perhaps I can have the happy hour discount.

wollie
Resident

Re: Electricity, regulated or free market supply

Postby wollie » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:11 pm

I would suggest you compare potencia with your friend who are paying the same amount. All of this info on the back of bill. This is the amount of available KW/hour at any given time, the standing charge jumps about €10/12 for each additional KW/H
The said "potencia" is a significant part of electric cost in Spain.

Below just a few lines which may explain abit...

Your bill has two main components:

" Electricity consumption: this is variable, although you can control it. This will change every month, and this part of the bill will increase the more kWh you use.
Contracted service capacity: this is a fixed charge and depends on the kW of service capacity contracted. It will be billed on a straight-line basis month to month, although you can choose to contract more or fewer kW.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:55 pm

I now have a copy of their bill and their potencia is higher than ours and they used160 kWh more than us but their bill was actually 4 euros less due to having the Happy Tempo tariff with 2 free hours each day. They are with the other Endesa company that have the free market tariff. So I think that's what I shall need to change to so I can start saving money too :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:49 pm

wollie wrote:I would suggest you compare potencia with your friend who are paying the same amount. All of this info on the back of bill. This is the amount of available KW/hour at any given time, the standing charge jumps about €10/12 for each additional KW/H
It's nothing like that much. It's typically about €4 per Kw per month.

It's only recently that low users can use the "free" market. There are so many different offers that it is a minefield. I am in the free market as I was forced to move some years ago as I use over 10kw potencia. The prices initially were much higher than the regulated market as the regulated market was very heavily subsideised by the government. That subsidy has been reduced over time to the point where there is less of a difference but it is even more complicated now. In fact, for the last 5 years the free market rates have gone down, but this year they have gone up.

You can compare prices here https://comparadorofertasenergia.cnmc.e ... m?js=1&e=N

Frankly, with such a low monthly bill it is hardly worth the effort changing over. The best deal has always been the night/ day rate where you get 14 hours at about half price and the peak rate at a slight premium. It saves me a fortune!

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:56 am

I thought with the Tempo Happy rate we would save money as you get 2 hours of free electricity every day. You choose which hours you have and if we pick the evening when we have the heating on it would surely save some money? Actually 73€ is a bigger bill than usual for us!

I didn't know there were so many electricity companies Sid, although Endesa don't have the TempoHappy tariff as an example. My friends save 55% of their electricity usage by being on it