Home Insurance Question.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
telboy
Resident

Home Insurance Question.

Postby telboy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:41 pm

We live in the sticks in an old farmhouse it has not been reformed, we have rejas built into the window frames as of when the house was built. We have no house insurance. I was told years back that you can't get house insurance if your property has no rejas especially on the ground floor windows/doors as it is a security risk - Is this true? So, if I was to have my house reformed, and replaced all windows with modern PVC/Aluminium (con persianas) type, would this be acceptable by insurance companies as making the house secure?

cheers
terry

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Home Insurance Question.

Postby Enrique » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi telboy,
You would have to read the Policy small print, the one (policy) we have specifies rejas
Here follows typical wording.............Example only

https://www.intasure.com/docs/holidayhome/wording.pdf

Look at HH907........search page 46
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:32 pm

Enrique - :thumbup: Thanks for the link - That's a very comprehensive 50 page brochure covering just about everything and in large print too!

cheers
terry

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Our house doesn't have rejas but does have windows with built in persianas. We managed to get house insurance OK with Liberty Seguros.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:00 pm

Linea Directa do cover no rejas. you have to close and bolt the internal shutters on all windows as part of the small print. Neither Rejas and no rejas just bolted shutters would stop a determined thief but do deter casual ones.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:43 pm

We use Linea Directa. We have no rejas or persianas. They wanted a detailed description of the other security arrangements, walls,windows, doors etc and alarms. We have a Securitas connected alarm and they were happy to cover us at the standard premium. Generally, it is very difficult to get contents insurance without rejas but it is possible.

Sid

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:19 pm

We had rejas all round, until an extension we had built, I asked the insurance company about it and was told no problem, just €10 more P/A