Aeroporto de Jerez

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Aeroporto de Jerez

Postby anyroads » Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 am

Has anybody been able to successfully use the ticket machine at the airport railway station ( it is unmanned ) ?.

My wife and I were among a number of people recently who had to give up, and board the train without a ticket. We we going only one stop. I did not see a ticket collector before we got off.

I went to the ticket office at the station where we got off, explained the situation, and was told not to bother paying !

anyroads.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Aeroporto de Jerez

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Bit different to the UK.....they would sentence you to incarceration in a deep dungeon for less..
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Wed May 15, 2019 5:17 pm

The ticket machines were working fine on Monday when I arrived. They default to selling Cercanías tickets for local train services being 1,80 euros for one stop to Jerez. If you catch a Media Distancia train then Cercanías tickets are not valid according to the platform annoucement which is in Spanish only. If you were trying to purchase Media Distancia tickets then you have to select Otros Billetes then MD destinations pop up. For the same distance the ticket price is 2,55 euros. You then get asked if you wish to use a Renfe card and then finally if you wish to go ahead with your ticket purchase without allocated seating (see below).

Whereas I've never seen anybody busted on the seven minute journey to Jerez for having the wrong ticket I have on occaision had to board the train without a ticket as my inbound flight was late requiring a sprint. I have in the past purchased Cercanías tickets out of ignorance but not been inspected either.

Although the station is very handy for the airport I don't think it is fully integrated into the Renfe MD network which is why it is unmanned, the gates are always open and you can't purchase allocated seating. Confusingly if you are travelling in the opposite direction from Jerez you pay the full price but you get a seat.

The train service is also useful if you hire a car from the airport but are flying back from Seville as you can return the car to the same place then hop on a train to Seville wihch is quicker than driving (if you adhere to the speed linits!), avoiding toll and change of return fees. I've done this Jerez to Seville but not the other direction.

Hope this helps...

Saludos

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed May 15, 2019 5:20 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Bit different to the UK.....they would sentence you to incarceration in a deep dungeon for less..
Probably worse seeing as the majority are run by German Companies which have as their main shareholder...the german government. They need the money to subsidise their own countries services.