So is it really that hot down there?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: So is it really that hot down there?

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:51 pm

Sounds like you have got it cracked Wicksey, our pool isn't covered but it is above ground..We also use the water during the non summer months to irrigate...We have a large flagged area all around the pool with one side landscaped into a border garden.It is mostly planted with roses apart from a few evergreens and plants which are easily managed, so not too many problems with netting out leaves..We tend to get an hour where it can get quite windy in the afternoons so i always have to close the umbrella's until it has passed.Last year one snapped before i was able to close it,now it is being used for spares and it has already come in useful for missing screws in another.
This year our pool pump went, luckily there is a large industrial estate just 10 mins away and we were able to replace it.The last one was about 20yrs old so like everything else nothing lasts forever.
I was not too bothered about the pool being out of action for a few days, i was more bothered for my 2 grandsons but luckily there are 3 very large public pools within a 5 min drive from the house and my son took his two boys to one of them, problem solved.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:54 am

Wicksey. I read somewhere that a few dabs of Vicks Vapour rub keeps the biting beggars away.

Love thevisual image of you having your midnight swim under the cover! We just peel four footback and get in. Can be hazardous as the top layer of water is scalding hot unless you run the circulating pump.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:53 am

We run the pump everyday so it's well mixed olive! In the height of the heatwave we couldn't touch the ladder or sides of the pool as they were scalding. I wore my pool shoes until the top then kicked them off and hopped in. When I came out I have to dash down the steps. Even at midnight on those hot evenings the stepladder was roasting hot. Last night it was lovely though, as not too hot outside and the water felt cooling.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:20 pm

Last day of August and although today the weather has been pleasant, the last few day have had a real Autumn feel about it with dead leaves all over the place.
I’m starting to see an air of normality as well, which here means it becomes more lively and more people about. After finding parking spaces with ease during the last month in Bilbao, now it will go back to driving round and round and ending up in a car park

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:16 pm

Parking is the opposite down here on the Granada coast. For the last two months, parking in the town has been completely impossible. Over this weekend all the Spaniards will vacate their holiday homes and depart. On Monday the place will be deserted!

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:22 am

40+ degrees last week, and today its pouring down, we´ve had tornados in torremilinos and nerja. you couldn´t make it up sometimes.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:07 pm

Thunder, low heavy black skies, rain. Wonderful. Very nice temperatures at low 20°C. The weather always balances out year on year.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:31 pm

Warnings from DGT to drivers wanting to drive to or from Madrid in particular not to, heavy rain expected with perfect timing to catch out the hoards returning home after their summer vacation! Sadly, given the abysmal standard of driving, especially in poor conditions there will be casualties.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:33 pm

A cool 21 degrees here and relaxing to the sound of rain in the courtyard.......... a much welcomed relief from the previous weeks of intense heat

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:38 pm

In the space of 24 hours there's been a big change in the weather. It suddenly feels autumnal today and I have my jumper on! This is often how it used to be, the first rains would arrive the beginning of September. I think the sun is back tomorrow, but it's been very welcome to have the garden properly watered.