Finding period/antique (or simlar modern) furniture? Ronda, Lucena,... ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Ksdad
Tourist

Finding period/antique (or simlar modern) furniture? Ronda, Lucena,... ?

Postby Ksdad » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:55 pm

Hi all-

As some of you know we are now the proud owners of a 16th-17th century home in Granada. The house is undergoing a lot of work and will be for the next 1-2 years. In the meantime, though, we are looking for antique period furniture for the house, and for other furniture that would integrate well with such antiques. We are scouring Granada's antique and modern furniture stores, and hitting all the almacenes we know within driving distance. So far our finds have been limited.

* Do you know of some good locations for antique Spanish furniture, or more modern handmade furniture? We'll drive anywhere in Andalucia (or further if we have to).

* We read on andalucia.com about Ronda And Lucena being good places for locally made furniture (I did not know that!)---but when we searched there we could find previous little. Do you know special places in those two cities where we might find something?

* I am having a hard time finding good information on local fleamarkets or on special dates for megamarkets where we might find some good options (on the present site, most of the entries are 2013 or earlier). Do you know of some good antique markets or fleamarkets that may have what we are looking for?

We are planning trips to Antequera, Marbella, Malaga and ... in the next couple of weeks: if you know of any place we should check out there wed love to add it to our travel list! Any other city we need to go to we'll be happy to push to our itinerary.

Also---do you know of any good furniture store that has interesting Moroccan furniture?

It is strange: there must be tens of thousands of old paintings, table and cabinets in Andalucia. Where do they all go?

Thanks for all your help: we are very appreciative of anything you can share with us!

KKKaty
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Finding period/antique (or simlar modern) furniture? Ronda, Lucena,... ?

Postby KKKaty » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:53 am

I bought some ni e furniture pieces in Ronda. Delivered free to Marbella. Some so good I brought back to my period houses here. Some outlets are on industrial estates.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:30 pm

If you go back to Lucena, once off the motorway, before you reach the town there are various poligonos (industrial estates) off the main road, mostly on the right. It is primarily a ceramics area, but you might find something there.
Alternatively, there is a 'furniture village' near Lucena, I can't remember the name, but there's a huge chair visible from the motorway !!

Happy hunting ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:29 am

Worth keeping an eye on Facebook marketplace and some of your local buy/sell groups. We've picked up several pieces of traditional, tho admittedly not antique furniture for our old cortijo..
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:51 pm

Just remembered there's a guy in Competa, if thats not to far who has an antique shop. Can't recall the details but pretty sure he advertises in Grapevine magazine. Online at https://thegrapevine.es
Regards

Bob

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:21 pm

Finding quality Spanish furniture isn't so easy and apart from being expensive most of the decent pieces stay within the family.
There is a shop at Moraleda de Zafayona, just off the A92 towards Loja, it's called Telovendo and it's just as you enter the village on the right next to the hotel el Cruce.
They do get vintage / antique Spanish items but also they usually have a good stock of Dutch/ Belgian furniture, mainly dark furniture which blends in well in with period property.
They also have original wall clocks mirrors ,again good looking pieces.
Worth a look in my opinion....
I've been involved with antiques for many years, not as a dealer now, just running my Social History Museum in Salar, good luck with your quest..
Regards,
Museo de Gordon...