Car Transfer Tax - Almeria vs Alicante ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Car Transfer Tax - Almeria vs Alicante ?

Postby fyfin » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:34 pm

My friend has sold his old Mercedes (1998) that was a UK registered car but was matriculated in 2016 when he moved here to Almeria. He has decided to sell it now and went to see a Gestor here who told him it would be much cheaper to do it in Torrevieja where the buyer is a resident.

I just can't understand how there can be such a difference €680 here or around €200 in Torrevieja. I know the transfer tax varies and it's 4% in Andalucia but I can't find what percentage it is in Alicante province or does it exist at all there.

Has anyone any experience of this?
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car Transfer Tax - Almeria vs Alicante ?

Postby Lavanda » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:34 am

Car Transfer Tax??? My OH's car has finally died in a big way with the engine and turbo going up in smoke. The local garage man took it off our hands and has registered the car in his name. He's going to 'do it up' at his leisure. No money exchanged hands BUT how is something like that proved to the tax office — if they even ask?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:37 pm

Its 6% in Valencia so I don't see how it could be cheaper. Andalusia is 4% which is the lowest rate.

https://gestorspain.com/car-transfers/

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:29 pm

El Cid wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:37 pm Its 6% in Valencia so I don't see how it could be cheaper. Andalusia is 4% which is the lowest "

Sid
That's what I can't understand. Still it was supposed to be done yesterday and wasn't so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Maybe he won't bother so my mate will be liable if any fines etc
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:31 pm

But is Torrevieja not in Alicante province. Maybe it's been abolished there??

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:46 pm

Car transfer when no money changes hands???

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:40 pm

fyfin wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:31 pm But is Torrevieja not in Alicante province. Maybe it's been abolished there??
It is not based on the province, it’s based on the region. Torrevieja is in Valencia.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:42 pm

Lavanda wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:46 pm Car transfer when no money changes hands???
It’s based on the official value of the car. The value is the new cost depreciated in line with the official rates.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:11 pm

So I could pay taxes even though I received no money OR does the new owner pay taxes?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:34 pm

It's a tax payable when the car ownership is transferred, whether money is paid over for the car or not. A neighbour gave an old car to another neighbour, but when the transfer is carried out at Trafico there is this tax to pay. Usually the buyer pays it, but when we sold a car privately and the purchaser found out it was going to cost over 400€ for the transfer tax, we have to share the cost or lose the sale (this was in 2003). If you buy from a dealer then the cost is included in the final price.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:22 pm

Ah! The buyer pays. I understand that. Thanks, Wicksey. As always, you are so helpful.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:59 pm

Lavanda wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:22 pm Ah! The buyer pays. I understand that. Thanks, Wicksey. As always, you are so helpful.
As I say, it's generally the case, although we did have to chip in on that occasion when the buyer was put off by the cost!