NIE Document

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

NIE Document

Postby rt21 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:35 pm

I wonder whether anyone could give me any advice on how I could obtain an up to date NI E document.

My wife and I were given NIE numbers many years ago and our then solicitor gave us a photocopy of the document in 2004.

I have never had to use the document before but now I have been told by a bank with whom I wish to set up a fee free on line account that I must submit an up to date NIE document as part of the application process. They will not accept my 2004 document

I did approach 2 legal companies who told me that I didn't need to obtain an up to date document as an NIE is for life. One of them said they would do it if I insisted but quoted an exhorbitant figure for doing so.The other told me to approach a different bank for an on line account.

Can anyon tell me if there is a simple and cost effective way of obtaining an up to date NIE document.

I should add that I live in the UK and am not a Spanish resident

Many thanks

Richard

Curiouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: NIE Document

Postby Curiouse » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 am

Sorry that this is not helping answer your question directly but have you considered a Wise account which is also free of maintenance charges etc and can hold both currencies at the same time . We found the setup process very simple and you wont need an NIE document , just your Passport and the NIE number as serves also as your Tax reference number here , you probably wont even need that as your not a resident , more likely your UK NI number . With Wise you can do everything that you can with a Spanish or UK online account including a Debit Card . UK and Spanish account but find we use Wise for everything we did with them and also have the advantage of being paid interest monthly on everything in the accounts .

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:55 am

The legal advice was correct, the NIE document is not something that is updated as far as I have ever known. Is the bank account for residents only perhaps and wants a residency card? Our own bank (Sabadell) often says it needs ours updated and I've had to upload a copy of it. (I also recommend Wise by the way).

Curiouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Curiouse » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:10 am

Wicksey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:55 am The legal advice was correct, the NIE document is not something that is updated as far as I have ever known. Is the bank account for residents only perhaps and wants a residency card? Our own bank (Sabadell) often says it needs ours updated and I've had to upload a copy of it. (I also recommend Wise by the way).
All Spanish banks ask for ID from time to time , Resident permit , Passport or NIE , whichever is applicable , i think that might be because of the legal obligation they have to " Know your customer " and be sure you have the correct documentation , the obligation is on them to do so .

rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby rt21 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:08 pm

Curiouse wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 am Sorry that this is not helping answer your question directly but have you considered a Wise account which is also free of maintenance charges etc and can hold both currencies at the same time . We found the setup process very simple and you wont need an NIE document , just your Passport and the NIE number as serves also as your Tax reference number here , you probably wont even need that as your not a resident , more likely your UK NI number . With Wise you can do everything that you can with a Spanish or UK online account including a Debit Card . UK and Spanish account but find we use Wise for everything we did with them and also have the advantage of being paid interest monthly on everything in the accounts .
Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I do have a wise account and was elated to find that they have recently introduced direct debits. I currently hold a Sabadell account for the payment of spanish direct debits but their maintenance fees for the account are high.

However, the wise account has a belgian iban and I have read that the spanish tax authorities and local government will will only deal with Spanish ibans. I understand that this contravenes E.U. law but it is as it is.

Richard

Curiouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Curiouse » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:55 pm

I make regular transfers to and from Wise and our Spanish banks tell me to select local or the transfer wont go through they treat the IBAN as local not International so im not sure about that, being a on international account the transfers don't incur a charge from the Spanish bank but they would if it was International , i cant see my Spanish bank missing out on any opportunity to charge .

rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby rt21 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:19 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:55 am The legal advice was correct, the NIE document is not something that is updated as far as I have ever known. Is the bank account for residents only perhaps and wants a residency card? Our own bank (Sabadell) often says it needs ours updated and I've had to upload a copy of it. (I also recommend Wise by the way).
When I went on line to open the account it stated that if a person only had a passport they would have to open the account at one of their branches.
When I went into the local branch they told me that as a UK resident I could open the account provided I have an up to date passport and an up to date NIE document. They made clear to me that the NIE document should be dated this year.

Curiouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Curiouse » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:28 am

NIEs are issued then thats it , the number is for life and they are not updated . Possibly the bank is referring to a Padron if it was within the first quarter of the year as they are valid only for 3 months . A temporary NIE can be obtained for buying a vehicle or other procedures but they have a limited life , another option to throw into the mix to add to the confusion , then there's Spanish bank staff and the possibilities are infinite , many are badly trained and pass on the information they themselves believe , often wrong or out of date . We asked our bank why we had not been paid interest due Jan 31st , they told us it was late and we would get it within two weeks , a month later when we asked again they said it was not longer paid quarterly but semi annual but they had only just been told that so its not always incompetent but uninformed staff .

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:35 pm

Sounds like the bank staff do not know what they are talking about, which is not unusual. You wouldn't be on the Padron if you are not resident here and I can't imagine what other document can be issued to prove your NIE. As Curiouse says, the NIE number is yours for life and is not updated or reissued. Mine was issued in 1996 and I have the scrappy original bit of paper somewhere, but it's not something I have ever produced from memory (and of course now a resident I have an ID card anyway which doesn't help you, as non resident).

rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby rt21 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:21 pm

I know its a long shot but I am going to try to set up a direct debit throughh Wise for my agua and basura.

Is it my local town Hall who I should contact to change my direct debit?

Thank you

Richard

Curiouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Curiouse » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:03 pm

rt21 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:21 pm I know its a long shot but I am going to try to set up a direct debit throughh Wise for my agua and basura.

Is it my local town Hall who I should contact to change my direct debit?

Thank you

Richard
Here its the Consortium ( private company ) that deals with Basura as sub contractors for the council would have to go to their office, look to see on your bill but probably town hall , no idea about water , ours is privately brought in by tanker when we need our deposito filling .

I have just done my Renta and i noticed the payment method can be SERPA which is what the Wise IBAN shows as so i could have paid the taxman from my Wise account , is why there's no charge by my ban for transfers to and from it .