Lake Iznajar, is it safe to swim? (contamination)

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alison0482
Tourist

Lake Iznajar, is it safe to swim? (contamination)

Postby alison0482 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:59 pm

Saw on the news that Lake Iznajar is contaminated from stuff they have sprayed on the olives. They were showing folk buying water to drink. Is the lake now 'out of bounds' for swimming?

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:08 pm

Well I was there on Sunday swimming - very pleasant - Dont know anything about contamination from spray from the olives. Certainly isnt any contamination from the houses as there is in Lake Vinuela with all the sewage going in to the lake from all the houses being built around the area. Lots of people enjoying themselves at lake Iznajar.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:25 pm

Didn't you know in Andalucia.com world everything is hunky-dory, contaminated isn't part of the vocabulary.

brenda
Resident

Lake swimming

Postby brenda » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:31 am

Would be more concerned about swimming amongst the Water Snakes in all local Lakes than with contamination!

nigel_t
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby nigel_t » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:41 am

No Water Snakes in my local lake..................

The crocs ate them all!!! :D

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:35 am

The daily news reports say that Lake Iznajar is contaminated for drinking, but why bath in water that could contaminate, when there are other options available, especially for children who always end up swollowing some.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:55 am

Where was this news item?

The water at lake Iznajar is not drinking water anyway!
I've never seen a water snake in or near the lake

We live in the Iznajar area and have done for 18 months we have never bathed in the lake and don't intend to.
Why?
Because a lot of waste goes into the lake untreated and has done since the lake was created in the 1970's. The so-called beach is littered with bottles/cans dog waste and other rubbish, and alarmingly hyperdermic needles and used condoms.

I have found no information (on the web) about the harmful influence of sythetic pestisides and herbisides on human health in Olive production.

THE GOOD NEWS

If you've been to Iznajar beach and not seen any of this litter then this is because some local Brits have a 'Beach Clean' every so often.

Campo properties which are being purchased must now (by law) install a fibreglass septic tank, though the grey waste can go straight onto the land.

The lake at Iznajar is very low as there is a high demand for water in Seville whom it feeds.

brenda
Resident

Lake

Postby brenda » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:12 pm

News topic has been in Sur and on every local bulletin Wed/Thurs on O.C.I. Have never seen Water Snakes here at lake Vinuela either but am reliably informed from local divers that they exist in plenty in both lakes!

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:13 pm

Didnt see any snakes (and even if I did they wouldnt worry me. I fished snakes out of the swimming pool every day) didnt see any rubbish, just saw a lot of people enjoying themselves and cooling off from the heat. But I will keep in mind the contamination story and check it out.

alison0482
Tourist

Postby alison0482 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:58 pm

Hubby read in the paper that the lake was 'contaminated' and the houses it supplies with water are not to drink the water. Lucena was one of the places affected so was Encinas Reales (sorry if spelling is wrong) Folk were buying bottled water like mad at Carrefour on Saturday in Lucena, and no coffee or soft drinks on tap from the bar there either.

neil01

SNAKES!! AND WASTE

Postby neil01 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:54 pm

Just bought in Alcaucin and planning o sail in Lake Vinuela - i have never seen a snake in here- has anyone else.

Ref excriment - is this true that the waste goes to the lake - ithough it was pumped to the sea!! -

Anyway i am reliably informed thta 4million euros will soon be spent at Vinuela turning it into watersports facility - yeah ha
Sorry wildlife