Building costs

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Building costs

Postby Kelly4 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:22 pm

There was a thread a while back detailing building costs per square metre. Anyone know where it went?

We just got an estimate for various works on my Mum's tiny village house that seems very high. E.g. price for new roof over internal patio (no more than five or six square metres) with velux window came in at 1500 euros (not including iva). Price for turning a small doorway into an arch = 280euros.

In the UK, I think I remember seeing some kind of mesh structure that you can buy to plaster over and turn a doorway into an arch. Anyone seen something similar over here and is this kind of thing a DIY job or a builder's domain?

cheers, kelly

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:28 pm

Cost per square meter is only for new buildings and price depends on the architects stipulations. It is not posible for anyone to quote you a price without seeing the job. You could always hire cheap immigrant labour, but dont forget that you will be responsible for any accidents, amongst other relative problems.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:00 pm

sounds about right to me - including materials, builder and labourer?

dont forget that a labourer is on 60 - 80€ a day, the builder on 100-150€ a day and then the materials as well..

thats not actually alot of profit :?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:01 am

Price for turning a small doorway into an arch = 280euros.
Back in the UK last year I had a couple of quotes for that job and they were around £300. 280 euros doesn't seem bad really.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Building costs

Postby jpinks » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:09 am

Kelly4 wrote:.......... is this kind of thing a DIY job or a builder's domain?
Depends on your skill level. A structure could easily be made of the square mesh available in ferriterias, you just need to make sure it is well fixed to the door frame top and sides, and then plaster it. If your capable it'll cost you about 50 euros in materials, if not - 280 euros sounds reasonable.
Slainte,
JohnP.

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:23 am

Our local supplier of all things made of plaster (sacks of the stuff, plaster board etc) sells ready made arches in two halves designed to fit in an existing door opening shape. Not sure how they are fitted, but we have them in our house and they look good.

Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kelly4 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:47 pm

Hi all,

I've decided to let the professionals do the biggest archway, see the materials they use and possibly give the tiny archway a go myself, if they don't make it look too difficult.

Thanks for all you advice.

Kelly

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:45 am

I hope that copying isn’t a throwback from your schooldays kelly4 :wink:

Seriously, I found that’s the best way to learn building and DIY techniques out here. Before arriving, I didn’t have much in the way of these skills, but after both watching and then helping the construction team renovating my house I tried a few DIY/alteration myself, some thing were nothing like as easy as it looks, but with practice an acceptable job was achieved.

All the best
gretch.