from local paper

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

from local paper

Postby costakid » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:10 pm

Email
September 6, 2005
Dear Sir,
I wonder if I can share with fellow readers what happened to me recently. I was travelling in my English registration car between Polop and La Nucía when I was pulled in by the Guardia. They asked me for my car papers, I gave them my licence, no problem, they asked for my MOT, I didn't have one. I said I was on holiday from England. A lie but I was panicking a bit. They pointed to the windscreen where the tax disc should be and just smiled.
They gave me a ticket for 120 euros for not having a MOT, then a ticket for 600 euros for not having insurance! I showed them again the insurance paper, but they said that without an ITV (MOT) that it wasn't valid. They said that if I could bring a letter in Spanish to them, from the insurance company, saying that they would pay up if I was in an accident even though I didn't have a test, then that fine would be cancelled.
The insurance company has refused, and said that the car must be legal for them to pay out in the event of an accident. The worst was that they wouldn't let me drive the car home; it was taken away on a lorry, which I also have to pay for!
They also have said I can't have it back unless I import it. I have been driving the car here for years, I think I would have been better off getting a Spanish car!
Please don't put my name or address, as I'm a bit embarrassed by all this.
Yours, K J

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:23 pm

How much is the car worth Kid?

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:34 pm

Its not costakids car its a newspaper article.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:46 pm

Yours K sounds Typical English.. any car registration would have had the same results.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:08 pm

I take it that this is an isolated case. Most Brits comply fully with traffic regs right?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:49 pm

right.. so right

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:46 pm

regularly seen a UK reg car, when parked up, it has newspaper taped over the index plates!! ( been here about 1 year!!)

That´s really going to fool them!!!!!!

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:42 pm

If you get away with it for a few years, it starts to make economic sense.
Buy a banger and drive it till I get nicked. Then dont pay the fine. It happens in the UK dont forget!

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

car incident

Postby meseta » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:40 am

I can't see what's wrong with the events that happened to KJ. Illegal car, fine, what's the problem ?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:10 am

this was not me but an article from the local paper. The police are cracking down though because i have only been stopped 3 times in 15 years and 2 of them have been this year. English LHD car but they checked insurance, passpport, reg doc and licence. The car was under 3 years old so did not need an mot. The vehicle was taxed tho. I think poeple need to start getting there cars in order. you would not drive in the UK with no mot or tax so why do it just because you are in a foriegn country. Show some respect. Spain has come along way in the last few years as far as motoring regs go.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:23 am

costakid wrote: you would not drive in the UK with no mot or tax so why do it just because you are in a foriegn country.
You're right, I wouldn't, but there are an awful lot that do! :D Particulary upsetting when someone hits you, and they are uninsured.
Two million motorists have no cover. They are nine times more likely to be in an accident, five times more likely to be caught drink-driving and cost insurance firms £500million a year.

Nearly 290,000 drivers were convicted of having no insurance in 2002. The average punishment was a £152 fine.
As most will be high risk, it's almost worth them ignoring the tax, it's only an average £150 fine if you are caught!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objecti ... _page.html
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:32 am

frank wrote:Two million motorists have no cover. They are nine times more likely to be in an accident, five times more likely to be caught drink-driving and cost insurance firms £500million a year.
Nearly 290,000 drivers were convicted of having no insurance in 2002. The average punishment was a £152 fine.
As most will be high risk, it's almost worth them ignoring the tax, it's only an average £150 fine if you are caught! [/quote]
These are all figures for the UK - where are the figures for Andulucia Frank? Or at least Spain?
It's a well-known fact that if you live in the sticks the chances of you being caught are slim unless you have an accident, so the fine is cheaper by far than the insurance,et al. It's only going to change when the fines make it not worth while the risk.
Slainte,
JohnP.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:06 am

In malaga 171000 cars do not have an MOT. Over 30% of cars are uninsured.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:04 pm

In malaga 171000 cars do not have an MOT. Over 30% of cars are uninsured.
And thats just counting the English registration cars

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:18 pm

jpinks wrote: These are all figures for the UK - where are the figures for Andulucia Frank? Or at least Spain?

You're the one that mentioned driving in the UK, it you don't want anything discussed outside the confines of your little world, don't bring it into the conversation!

It's a well-known fact that if you live in the sticks the chances of you being caught are slim unless you have an accident, so the fine is cheaper by far than the insurance,et al. It's only going to change when the fines make it not worth while the risk.
I think that was the point I made! :lol: Whilst youngsters are being asked for figures in the thousands for insurance and the average fine is £150, there's no way they are going to insure the car, in the sticks or on the cities.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:43 am

frank wrote:
jpinks wrote:You're the one that mentioned driving in the UK, it you don't want anything discussed outside the confines of your little world, don't bring it into the conversation!
Did I - where?
Slainte,
JohnP.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:11 pm

:roll:
Its great and dandy until you meet this KJ and thousands like him in a head on collision, then what, still think it worth the risk as you will get nothing from the KJs of this country except grief.
As far as taxing the car it so cheap its hardly worth it to cover the costs of admin, its done through the local town hall at the same time as your IBI tax. Mine was 39 E for this year!!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:10 pm

You are lucky. Where I live it is 125 Euros!

Sid