Living In Spain v elsewhere/was Pozo negro

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:46 pm

frank wrote:Nobody has supported your statement about sitting around all winter in a T shirt, in fact the likes of Katy, Costakid etc, have said quite the opposite, ie. it gets bloody cold.
It will depend on where you are in Andalucia, but up in the mountains where I am I can sit around in a tee-shirt and shorts all year provided it's sunny - which is not all the time in winter, as we get the mountain clouds and some wonderful rain from it.
As I said in an earlier post, a house we stayed in in Montefrio in May was the coldest house we have ever been in.
There's a clue in the name - pick a better place to be :wink:
My brother spent 2 weeks on CDS in April two years ago, and vowed he'd never ever go back again, unless it was the summer.
A 2-week snapshot of the climate is not really very interesing. We live here full-time and the average climate in the mountains is infinitely better than anywhere in the UK.
Sorry, but you sound a like a voice in the wilderness, you must have your own personal little weather system around your flat.
Maybe we all do - it is a psychological fact that some people can see one cloud in a day and call it a cloudy day. A bit like the half-empty / half-full glass question - it only depends on your attitude.:)
Slainte,
JohnP.

MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MaggieMay » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:52 pm

I'd have to agree with all that find homes cold in winter. I'm on the coast and it can be freakin freezing indoors in winter. Generally much warmer outside as opposed to inside. Unless of course you have a winter like last year and then it's pretty cold outside too. I've not been in any campo houses during winter , but if they were to be even colder than mine then I don't think I could stand it.
It's something older people need to take into account if moving here, particularly if on blood thinning type medications like my mother. She won't come in dec-March now as she can't stand the cold and is warmer in her house in Scotland of all places.
On the positive side yes, I have spent many an afternoon sunbathing on my terrace in mid Jan (mainly to feel some heat) and on average there are many winter days that are sunny and lovely to be out without a coat and gloves. But come nightime or a dreary day it can be difficult to keep yourselves warm inside.
It's also a shock to anyone from the UK visiting , when I say pack warm clothes you will need them for indoors even if you don't need them outdoors.
Theres quite a long spell of cold and chilly nights on the CDS, nobody should make the assumption that the weather is year round heat. My bet is that if moving from England to Spain you will be in for a shock come winter.
Doesn't mean you won't like living in Spain, I prefer it whatever time of year to living in the UK, but somethings you take for granted in the UK can't be taken for granted here and you need to be ok with that.
I wear it well...........

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:14 pm

last time I was back in the UK I got off the plane and couldn´t stop shivering, but this was to change..I was picked up shivers disapeared instantly and the rest of the journey I spent stiffled (dont know if I spelt that right but wish to say very hot) in the stuffy hot car..everytime I opened the window down I got told off...out of the car and shivering to the door...everyone was wearing flimsy clothes (seems no one wears vests any more)..it was stuffy and stifly hot again and even with bedroom window open I found it hard to get comfortable...everywhere I went..shops, bars, homes, ect I found this super stuffy sensation and freezing cold getting from car to wherever... the whole stay was hot n cold.. Im telling this..not to complain as some might think..but I guess for those who live all the time under this "stuffy central heating enviroment" can possibly feel cold when in Spain... for those who wish to live in Spain and are worried about being cold..you can get central heating fitted here too.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:46 pm

Thanks to franc I just picked up these stadistic
4 million rise in population..No other country in Europe has had to cope with such a large influx in such a short time,plus the large number of tourists — 55 million each year.
considering this I think they deserve a pat on the back...I had no idea it was so many.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:43 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote: Where I do think, Spanish power suppliers are silly is that they need to review there idea of basic usage as, with all modern societies, times have changed and we use far more gadgets and appliances than we used to!! Lorraine
Most new properties are wired to take up to about 10kw. They fit a low rated potencia fuse, often only 3.3kw so that the monthly standing charge is at a minimum.

This is very relevant if the property is empty most of the year. It takes one phone call to have your supply upgraded to whatever you require. The electricity companies are well aware of what gadgets are now used and the Endesa website even has a calculator to help you work out what your requirement will be.

If the builders fitted the maximum rating (which costs them exactly the same as the lowest rating) then most of the owners would complain about the monthly charge.

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:37 pm

jpinks wrote:[ As I said in an earlier post, a house we stayed in in Montefrio in May was the coldest house we have ever been in.
There's a clue in the name - pick a better place to be :wink

I did make the same point some time back, not for nothing do they call it cold mountain. Surprisingly, my Spanish is sufficient to be able to translate that!

:
My brother spent 2 weeks on CDS in April two years ago, and vowed he'd never ever go back again, unless it was the summer.
A 2-week snapshot of the climate is not really very interesing.

Agreed, but that was written to the gent that reckons a t shirt will suffice all winter! That particular fortnight an umbella, waders and winter thermals would have been more appropriate

[/quote]
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:38 pm

Hi Pinks, Yes I do have a tumble dryer, never had a washing line ever!! as hubby hates the site of them, may be because he was brought up in a posh area as a small child (People refused to talk to the new neighbour, because he was only a porter on the railway!! and had inherited the house) . Do use an air-er but as I said before winter isn't always perfect weather and life's too short to wait 3 days for clothes to dry if it's wet or miserable!!

Lorraine - with the very soft tumble dried towels :lol: :lol:

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:40 pm

I was the one being called a snob on here recently :roll:
Slainte,
JohnP.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:12 pm

Well here's definitely not one now, must be my " from the gutter" input!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Lorraine

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:25 am

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:Well here's definitely not one now, must be my " from the gutter" input!!!!
Not at all - it was from our dear friend Kevin :)
Slainte,
JohnP.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:40 am

never had a washing line ever!! as hubby hates the site of them, may be because he was brought up in a posh area as a small child
I´m suprised that some one can say something like this...what has posh got to do with a washing line..rich people pay to have their washing washed by hand, dried on a washing line and ironed..they dont have to "see" the washing because its not hung up in their garden area.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:24 am

silver wrote:
I´m suprised that some one can say something like this...what has posh got to do with a washing line..rich people pay to have their washing washed by hand, dried on a washing line and ironed..they dont have to "see" the washing because its not hung up in their garden area.
Sounds like jumped up middle class behaviour to me, I for one see no problem with nice clean clothes on a washing line in someones back garden of course. Trouble often here is scraggy old underwear and grey old sheets drapped for weeks out of flat windows flapping against filthy walls filtering all the exhaust fumes from the streets below. If Lorraine wants a washing line I think she should have one, mother knows best I think is the sentiment in another thread.

Mike