Living In Spain v elsewhere/was Pozo negro

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Living In Spain v elsewhere/was Pozo negro

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:09 am

Kevin does make a good point and left me wondering just how many people would live in Spain full time if they had an unlimited supply of money.

Although an outsider (living in the Valencia region) I dont think I have ever met anyone (not Spanish of course) who would.
Maybe you are or know someone who are the exception.

Living on a track in an uninsulated house with a woodburner or worst stilll a portable gas heater, well water, no electricity etc etc are manageable when someone is fit and healthy but I would not like to think how difficult that or those persons lives could deteriote if they or a partner becomes infirm.

I for one am concerned about the filth and rubbish dumped in the countryside and here around Valencia I dont see any evidence of sewage treatment works to take mains drainage when and if urbs are forced to install it.

Whilst I agree that the climate in many areas of Spain is beneficial for some ailments it is not my idea of paradise. But I am not rich so at the present time I chose to live here.

Mike

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:27 am

I see quite a lot on this forum: Example.
People, some quite elderly, put their life savings in a rundown 'house' in a remote location. No water, electricity, gas or sewerage. Cold and draughty in winter. Thats a hard life even for a youngster.
Then they say - 'we love the Spanish way of life'. In reality, they are not living the Spanish way of life - they are living the life of a hermit. If thats what they want, then OK

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:14 pm

H Bongtree's,
I for one, would not live here full time, money permitting, The weather here's less than fantastic for big chunks of the year, it was colder than the UK last winter and I spent several weeks looking out a snow covered hills. Haven't experienced many power cuts but we where without water for 5 days recently and even the bore hole supply had dried up due to the drought. The tanker of water that was delivered also looked like it had come straight from a pond but at least we could flush the toilet!! I know of a few people in my area who chose not to live here all year, I'm sure quite a lot of people money permitting would do the same if they where totally honest!!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:46 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:H Bongtree's,
I for one, would not live here full time, money permitting, The weather here's less than fantastic for big chunks of the year, it was colder than the UK last winter and I spent several weeks looking out a snow covered hills.
Everyone seems to make a big thing about the weather, and for sure, it does have some good weather, but extremes of 45 degrees down to -15, is far from ideal in my opinion. I love April, May, June there, although I have to say, we bloody froze in Montefrio in May! So why it can be a plus for a lot of the time, there are certainly times when it is not the dream destination. So long as it's ok starting on the 28th, I shan't complain! ;-)
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:12 pm

I well remember a winter I spent on the Costa del Sol, living in the dampest room I have ever encountered. Huddled over a two bar electric fire which was plugged into the only socket working in a nearby corridor. Draughts which were welcome in summer became chilling in winter.When the day finally came to leave I pulled my suitcase from under the bed and it was covered with a green lichen! I used to meet up with a friend who had the same problem. 'Hows it going, Kev?' he asked. 'Oh, you know - Still Living The Dream!' I replied. We used to laugh about it but that was a hard winter.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:10 pm

How you live is up to you, and any fool can be uncomfortable, but I have spent winteers here with snow, freezing temperatures and loads of rain, as well as balmy 30degree days in January - so it never boring. Too many people buy a bad house in a bad location and then blame the country and climate for their miseries.
Slainte,
JohnP.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:34 pm

Now how did I know you where just going to say that!!

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:44 pm

I am amazed at the number of people who achieve "Andalucian Guru" status by continuously posting complaints about Andalucia! :(
Slainte,
JohnP.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:00 pm

I know! They are letting any trash in nowadays.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:50 am

Bongtrees question
how many people would live in Spain full time if they had an unlimited supply of money.
Come on..be serious...Would someone with an unlimited supply of money live as quote...
Living on a track in an uninsulated house with a woodburner or worst still a portable gas heater, well water, no electricity etc etc are manageable when someone is fit and healthy but I would not like to think how difficult that or those persons lives could deteriorate if they or a partner becomes infirm.
I am not rich so at the present time I chose to live here.
You chose to live here a track in an uninsulated house with a woodburner or worst still a portable gas heater, well water, no electricity etc etc...
Whats stopping you returning to England to get rich???
kevin77
we love the Spanish way of life'. In reality, they are not living the Spanish way of life - they are living the life of a hermit. If thats what they want, then OK
Claro..its OK ..you do as YOU like so others should be able to do as THEY like. Why is it a problem for you how others choose to live??
Lorraine - Mijas
I for one, would not live here full time, money permitting,
I know of a few people in my area who chose not to live here all year,
Who/what is making any of you to stay against your wishes..are you in prison?
Where is HERE..the is a great difference between the weather conditions in Marbella and Competa......
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:48 am

kevin77Just how much did you pay for
the dampest room I have ever encountered. Huddled over a two bar electric fire which was plugged into the only socket working in a nearby corridor.
and what would you have got back in the UK for that price.
Living The Dream
Just who sold you the dream...BBC or ITV...perhaps you should complain to them if you were not satified...
Dont you understand that you are waisting your time a efforts trying to convince others..who are themselves quite happy with the dream that they have found ... Go find another place to shed your tears.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:46 am

silver wrote:Dont you understand that you are waisting your time a efforts trying to convince others..who are themselves quite happy with the dream that they have found ... Go find another place to shed your tears.
Well said Silver. Too many people trying to put Andalucia down. Why don't they go and find some forum that extolls the vitures of living in England or where-ever it is that they hold up as ideal. I'm happy and not moving anywhere thanks. :)
Slainte,
JohnP.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:07 am

jpinks wrote: Well said Silver. Too many people trying to put Andalucia down.
People are simply being realistic, and redressing the balance. As I've said many times, I like Spain and Andalucia, it has a lot going for it, that's why we continue to visit it. However, I don't wear the blinkers that you obviously do, I can see an awful lot wrong with it, it's not the Shangri La that you'd have us believe. To continually suggest that everything about Spain is perfect, is an absolute nonsense. It seems it's OK for you lot to slag off UK, but it's not OK if anyone says anything against Andalucia. If you are so committed to Spain, how many there speak excellent Spanish,(you all should by now) how many that are eligible have become Spanish citizens?
Regards, Frank

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:31 am

Whilst I can (as usual for me) see both sides to this argument, we do live here full time and enjoy it. As to being cold in the winter, our last house in the UK was a 1785 farm house which we rented as the move to Sheffield was work related and buying a house was out of the time scale required for the move. It had single glazing. stone floors, no loft insulation and only ecomony 7 heating! Added to the it was just north of Sheffield in a place called Stocksbridge, which has an infamous wind which blows straight off the penines and the peak district! Cold wasn't in it! We paid £160 per month in rates, horrendous electricity bills and the nearest supermarket of any size was 12 miles away. Summer was beautiful - but only lasted a few months. So we had a choice, buy there or take a risk and move to Spain. The weather here is on the whole better, the cost of living has meant we were able to retire early and our lives have improved 100%. No rose tinted specs here, Spain has it problems like everywhere else, but for us the advantages more than outwiegh the disadvantages.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:44 am

A dream is a very individual thing. Some dreams can be collective.
I don't wear the blinkers
neither do I. and do not
suggest that everything about Spain is perfect

I do like the life I am able to enjoy here...it is where I chose to live long before "the TV dream" came about, my head is on the ground and I understand that nothing is "perfect"...
It seems it's OK for you lot to slag off UK, but it's not OK if anyone says anything against Andalucia
I don't remember doing this...I do remember stating my opinion..just like everyone else.
If some have a chip on their shoulder, because they were led to believe that they would find their dream, and did not find it...they should perhaps complain to those who sold them the dream, instead of trying to convince others, who are content with their dream...whatever it be...
Today..many are fortunate to be able to choose how and where they live...a dream is not limited to England and Spain ..there are other places all over the world..where other people live their dream.
I do speak excellent Spanish...and find it an advantage to speak the language of the country I reside.
how many that are eligible have become Spanish citizens
Cant answer this question as I really don't know...if I happen to see these statistics I will let you know.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:05 am

You chose to live here a track in an uninsulated house with a woodburner or worst still a portable gas heater, well water, no electricity etc etc...
Whats stopping you returning to England to get rich???

Silver, my original question was simple and I do not understand your agressive response.

I do not live up a track etc etc so why assume I do and FWIW I am far from poor but I am not rich.

I dont understand why you would assume that returning to the UK would pave the way to riches for me or anyone else.

Mike

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:48 am

jane grant wrote: As to being cold in the winter, our last house in the UK was a 1785 farm house which we rented as the move to Sheffield was work related and buying a house was out of the time scale required for the move. It had single glazing. stone floors, no loft insulation and only ecomony 7 heating! .
Hardly typical UK accommodation, is it? I can go back quite a few years, and even the house I was born in, never featured *beep* conditions like that! But, without exception, all Spanish houses we have stayed in out of season have been bitterly cold.
Regards, Frank

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:54 am

[quote="silver"]
I do speak excellent Spanish...

Good for you, you must be in the minority!

how many that are eligible have become Spanish citizens
Cant answer this question as I really don't know...if I happen to see these statistics I will let you know.

The question was aimed at the membership of this forum. Have you, for example, fully commited yourself to Spain, and become a Spanish citizen?
Regards, Frank

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:57 am

frank wrote:
jane grant wrote: As to being cold in the winter, our last house in the UK was a 1785 farm house which we rented as the move to Sheffield was work related and buying a house was out of the time scale required for the move. It had single glazing. stone floors, no loft insulation and only ecomony 7 heating! .
Hardly typical UK accommodation, is it? I can go back quite a few years, and even the house I was born in, never featured *beep* conditions like that! But, without exception, all Spanish houses we have stayed in out of season have been bitterly cold.
:D The beep was because I wrote Di*kensian conditions. :D
Regards, Frank

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:05 am

frank wrote:People are simply being realistic, and redressing the balance.
The balance between what and what?
frank wrote:As I've said many times, I like Spain and Andalucia, it has a lot going for it, that's why we continue to visit it. However, I don't wear the blinkers that you obviously do, I can see an awful lot wrong with it, it's not the Shangri La that you'd have us believe. To continually suggest that everything about Spain is perfect, is an absolute nonsense.
I don't think anyone is suggesting Andalucia is perfect.
frank wrote: It seems it's OK for you lot to slag off UK, but it's not OK if anyone says anything against Andalucia.
quote="frank" -- People are simply being realistic, and redressing the balance. /quote
You can't have it all you own way. :)
frank wrote:If you are so committed to Spain, how many there speak excellent Spanish,(you all should by now) how many that are eligible have become Spanish citizens?
The foreigners around me seem to speak reasonable spanish - certainly better than me and I manage to chat with the locals and deal with the beaurocracy. As for "becoming a Spanish citizen" - I presume you mean do they have residencia? A lot do have, but it's not a question I ask everyone.
Slainte,
JohnP.