Learning to drive.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Bobmyster

Learning to drive.

Postby Bobmyster » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:14 am

Hi everyone.
I am a driving instructor in England and i am in need of some help.
Could anyone tell me if there is a market for an English speaking driving instructor to find work in southern Spain, (or even mainland Spain). I would like to work in Spain and live there with my wife.
I have just started year two Spanish classes in England and have a basic knowledge of the Spanish language. Any help would be appreiated in this.
Thanks.
Bob

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:46 pm

Hi Bob

You may already know this, but.......

Apparently, you have to be Spanish Resident to get a Spanish Licence. I don't know if this might limit your market? - I don't mean to be pessimistic.

A friend of mine from the Middle East, lives here 6months of the year, he has held a licence for 10 years & cannot insure a car on his licence, he needs to either have a Spanish Licence or an International Driving Licence.

I wish you every bit of luck with the future & your Spanish lessons! :D

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:28 pm

When my kids took their moto tests, we were told by the driving school that they had to have residencia numbers, but I stood my ground and argued, and after a few phone calls they accepted NIE numbers.

I wonder if this would be the same for driving licenses, especially as not everyone is required to have residency cards

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:35 pm

Set up round our area (Lake Vinuela) Bobymyster and I´ll gladly be your first customer. Although my spanish is fair to good I´d be much happier learning with a native English speaking instructor.

Re: Learning to drive.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:50 pm

Bobmyster wrote:Hi everyone.
I am a driving instructor in England and i am in need of some help.
Could anyone tell me if there is a market for an English speaking driving instructor to find work in southern Spain, (or even mainland Spain). I would like to work in Spain and live there with my wife.
I have just started year two Spanish classes in England and have a basic knowledge of the Spanish language. Any help would be appreiated in this.
Thanks.
Bob
Hi "Bob" I don't want to be too pessimistic but you need to have your eyes open for this one, I imagine that before you are granted a licence to teach people to drive you will have to pass a stringent test yourself (an instructors test will probably be more intense than a normal one) in order to do this you will probably have to study all the rules and regulations regarding driving in Spain, in order to do this you will need to speak perfect spanish, but as you've stated your already up and running!

I'm sure there's a market for your service but for how long I don't know, the Spanish government are currently considering changing the law to make it compulsory thsat you take the test in Spanish (if you take it in Spain) which would then make your service obsolete, in the meantime I wish you well with your venture, Spain is a good place to be, anytime of the year!!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:27 pm

theres a company called "el Torcal" that offer lessons in english. it might be worth applying to them, in order to gain experience of teaching in a left hand drive vehicle ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:19 pm

Although it would be good, the hardest part in spain is the theory which translated into english is ridiculously hard to understand and the practical is very easy so to be honest I dont see it unless you can get involved in translating the theory books & test but you say youre spanish isnt too good and it would be hard to get a liscence to teach i would imagine but if you think its right go for it.