Keep on trucking

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.

Keep on trucking

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:33 pm

Can someone please tell me what the criteria is for importing small trucks/pickup type vehicles into Spain, for example do american built vehicles need to under go any special technical changes before being allowed on the road in Spain, thanks in advance for your replies.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:50 pm

Just beware of the bears in the air, good buddy.

I hope someone will be able to give you a more sensible answer. :D

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:52 pm

American vehicles need the equivilent of our SVA test. It is possible to get them registered tho. There is a firm in fuengirola that does all the paperwork. Where are you based?

Elephants like to Truck!

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:32 pm

sorry to make light of your trucking post but i saw this and thought it was trucking funny http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/ ... ounds.html

keep on trucking

Re: Elephants like to Truck!

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:03 pm

Thanks Joey, that's a big ten four! Ha, Ha!

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:30 pm

costakid wrote:American vehicles need the equivilent of our SVA test. It is possible to get them registered tho. There is a firm in fuengirola that does all the paperwork. Where are you based?
I'm in Los Angeles, I'm a brit emigrant, or immigrant, I'm never sure which, I should have spent more time in school! my wfe is Spanish and we will be relocating to Seville in the near future and I can't bear to part with my almost new Chevvy!!

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:36 pm

Breaker one nine wrote:
costakid wrote:American vehicles need the equivilent of our SVA test. It is possible to get them registered tho. There is a firm in fuengirola that does all the paperwork. Where are you based?
I'm in Los Angeles, I'm a brit emigrant, or immigrant, I'm never sure which, I should have spent more time in school! my wfe is Spanish and we will be relocating to Seville in the near future and I can't bear to part with my almost new Chevvy!!
Peace be upon you my son, Los Angeles is the Devils recruiting room, for everyone who leaves that Satans den, a soul is saved Halleluja!!

FIFI
Tourist

Postby FIFI » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:36 pm

Might be an idea to contact someone at the Rota Naval Base, just south of Sevilla. I know there was a dealer down there selling imported US vehicles, he´s not in business now. There´s a Spanish guy up here in Arcos who buys trucks and equipment through the base. I could try and get more details on that if you want.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:10 pm

Thanks for that FIFI, do you happen to have any phone no's or web address, I'd appreciate it if you do, you can Email me but please don't take my Email address too seriously it was my wifes idea, and despite my redneck appearance I'm not dangerous (well only to some people) I'm actually a lawyer, no jokes please, but thanks for your reply!

Kitesurfer.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kitesurfer. » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:44 am

Breaker. To save you talking and contacting many resources, your better off going straight to the Spanish Embassy in Wilshire Boulevard in LA. As crazy at it seems they'll give you full details of what, how and if your vehicle will be adaptable to European standards. I've used them myself when I lived in California and shipped a Porsche 914 to the UK. Being of European origin it was a case of swapping bumpers and small changes to the electrical system but I have no idea about Chevvy's being american origin.
Sorry yes I do, I know a Chevvy Cavalier can be reduced to 2 thirds in length when hitting a Bronco head on :shock:

Good luck and they were very good with me when I dealt with them.

[email protected]

Tel. (323) 938-0158/0166
Fax: (323) 938-2502
When running out of fuel altitude and speed....never run out of ideas...
---------------------

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:01 pm

Kitesurfer, thanks, I live in West Hollywood, so wilshire's not too far away, I have to say though, I don't know it well, is the embassy between Kingsley and S Vermont or closer to the university law school? doesn't matter if you're not sure, thanks anyway, keep on truckin!!

Kitesurfer.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kitesurfer. » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:47 pm

Breaker I really couldn't tell you. I was driven there by family from Carpenteria and rarely stepped into LA. In fact we lived between a house in Grass Valley and a house in Trukee, Tahoe and we rarely seen Frisco let alone LA.
After visiting the embassy I found everything could be done by fax in any case. They only supplied details on regulations at that time (1998-2002) and following regulations and forms were to be obtained from the country of import. I suppose the embassy couldn't have import forms for every country and wer'nt prepared to print them off as required.
They were very very good at pointing me in the right direction though.

Good luck with it.

KS.
---------------------

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:01 pm

Kitesurfer, thanks for the info, the technical spec is on it's way, and, should you ever need the knowledge again it's 2055 Wilshire, between La Brea and Highlands, thanks again.

Kitesurfer.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kitesurfer. » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:38 pm

Thanks B19.
My love of cars has receeded and my new love is motorbikes and wanting a split screen camper.

Good luck with it and if theres anything I can do from here let me know.

Regards.

KS.
---------------------