Health Care - Non Retired Residents

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
GuapaChica
Tourist

Health Care - Non Retired Residents

Postby GuapaChica » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:44 am

My husband and I living in Spain we are both in our 40's

Can we get free access to the Spanish Health system? If so how.

Or do we need to take out Private Insurance? If so, who's the best for the money?

Thanks
GC

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:18 pm

Entitled to free health care if paying into Spanish DSS. Otherwise best private cover is, we think. via Prevision although other people will recommend Sanitas.

GuapaChica
Tourist

Postby GuapaChica » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:30 pm

Thanks Brenda,

I'm a little confused, I've spent all morning searching the internet and there seems to be a lot of different information and opinions.
I found a bulletin board for another area where they seemed to think legislation had changed

I'll post the link to the thread

http://lamarinaforum.com/index.php?act= ... &f=2&t=174

Cheers
GC

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:44 pm

The link is for an area covered by the Valencia region, it is different in Andalucia. There are a lot of previous threads on this.

GuapaChica
Tourist

Postby GuapaChica » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:16 pm

There is so much information on this it is very confusing.
I've read so many threads I know less now than I did before I started.

lol

GC

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:30 pm

Where do you live? maybe there is another member from your area once we know it.

Mike

GuapaChica
Tourist

Postby GuapaChica » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:36 pm

Hi Mike it says under my name.

:-)

GC

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:35 pm

Check out http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk for information on healthcare in Spain.
When following the information given on this site, don’t expect miracles, it took me over six months (off and on) going to different health centres and social security offices etc. before I managed to get my Spanish “health card”.

Guapa Chica, i've sent you a PM.

Mariposa
Andalucia.com Amigo

health care

Postby Mariposa » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:53 pm

As our E106 runs out in December I had assumed we'd have to get private insurance. I have had some treatment for an infection at the local surgery and hospital urgencias. When I last went to see the nurse in the surgery he told me not to worry as Spain is very Quixotic(by which I think he meant foolishly generous) and would provide health care to everyone if needed. If we worked we would pay, but if we don't as is the case, we wouldn't. I asked if this was true for andalucia where we live as I thought it was only Valencia and two other provinces. He assured me we would be entitled. So I guess we'll just have to put it to the test.....

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:19 pm

If you have been paying into the UK system, you are entitled to benefits for a limited period. You would then need to take out private insurance, unless you start paying into the Spanish system.
You need to contact the DHSS in England to find out exactly what you are entitled to, how long for and which forms you need to have, to claim.
Do not rely on the Spanish to give you the correct information.
I recently had a situation whee I was trying to arrange surgery for my son. The Spanish social security system would not allow me any benefits. Luckily , I knew what I was entitled to, and with a lot of perseverance, finally got it sorted with days to spare. Had I listened to what the Spanish officials told me, I would now be poorer by more than 10,000 euros!

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:17 am

When we first arrived over 2 years ago, we tried to get a SS card as our doctor said we needed one with an E106, however the SS here said we were classified as 'displaced persons' and not entitiled to one! I then saw the link about health care in Valencia and emailed the UK embassy in Malaga to check if that was the same here. They categorically said it was not and that we would need private health cover once the E106 ran out. However, since then we have again applied for a card, and been granted one, but I am not convinced we are really entitled to it as we neither work nor have a pension. Having said that te spanish health care system is similar to the NHS in as much as they will treat the patient first and worry about collecting any money at a later date - unlike some countries where unless you are waving you health insurance policy you get nothing. We have decided to play the 'I'm a foreigner' stance on our cards, and if they turn round and say they made a mistake and we are not entitiled to one, we'll just say 'But you gave it to us'. We reason the worst that can happen in those circumstances is that they will send us a bill for any treatment we've had. I do love Spain but there are times when officialdom leaves me totally baffled, confused and bewildered!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:44 am

jane grant wrote: Having said that te spanish health care system is similar to the NHS in as much as they will treat the patient first and worry about collecting any money at a later date -

We have decided to play the 'I'm a foreigner' stance on our cards, and if they turn round and say they made a mistake and we are not entitled to one, we'll just say 'But you gave it to us'. We reason the worst that can happen in those circumstances is that they will send us a bill for any treatment we'
Jane

You may be a tad too confident unless the system is different where you are because here the SIPS card is checked on the computer before the hospital treats you.

I have know 2 British people who have paid in to the system for a few months just to get a card and later when they needed hospital treatment was refused it because the computer said the card was not valid and were told to go across the road to the private hospital.

I doubt anyone would be refused emergency care but to see a consultant and then on to treatment the card is asked for and checked against computer records where I am.

Mike

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:01 pm

Its difficult to work throught the red tape in Spain because every official/civil servant will set policy as they go along. This is a throwback to the Franco days. Some places will treat anyone but I saw someone turned away last year carrying a very badly mosquito bitten baby for the sole reason that their E-111 was 3 months out of date!

in brief, if you are not a pensioner/your 112 is out of date/you do not pay into the system then you need private medical insurance. Bongtrees is correct in what he says, they can call up you records anywhere in Andalucia (maybe Spain??) when you make an appointment the records are checked then. Sure some slip through forever, but would you want to live with that uncertainty if you are approaching middle age and starting a new life.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:08 pm

Sorry missed out the E106 :)