2 questions

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
travelinggoob

2 questions

Postby travelinggoob » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:45 pm

Hi All
I have two questions for you all, first of all i would like to get myself a scooter, where do i go to get a permit or a licence to drive one in mrabella, can anyone recommedn anywhere?, and second does anyone have any info on getting married in spain but not gib?
any info would be great

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:18 pm

Sorry, I've no idea about the scooter but........are you looking at a religious ceremony or a civil wedding?

You might find this site useful

http://www.ukinspain.com/english/Consul ... 30&lang=en

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: 2 questions

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:18 pm

travelinggoob wrote:Hi All
I have two questions for you all, first of all i would like to get myself a scooter, where do i go to get a permit or a licence to drive one in mrabella, :)
If you have a UK licence to drive a car, you are entitled to drive a scooter/motorcycle of up to 125cc in Spain - in the UK you are limited to 50cc.

Sid

travelinggoob

Postby travelinggoob » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:56 am

yes but i dont have a drving licence :oops: thats why i want to know how to get a permit for a scooter :roll:

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:02 pm

You will need to take a Spanish equivalent of the CBT test
Take a look at this site http://www.tourspain.co.uk/GettingAround/motoring.htm

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:24 pm

Just found this on Andalucia.com- extract from Costa Del Sol News

Two wheeled road users are also being targeted with changes in October, when the minimum age for riding a low-performance moped or motor cycle is raised from 14 to 16 years. Applicants will have to pass a written test and a practical trial, similar to that for those who want a high-powered bike.

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:27 pm

Have you had a look at http://www.andalucia.com/law/marriage/home.htm
for info on getting married in Spain?

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:40 pm

Your local driving school should be able to advise you on taking the test for a scooter. If they try to tell you you need residencia, it isn't true. You only need your NIE, photos, medical certificate...... Good luck.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:14 pm

Are you sure?

Spanish driving licences are only issued to residents.

Sid

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:50 pm

You need a Spanish provisional license to take the test, if you haven't got a full EU license. You cannot use a British provisional license in Spain because it is not EU

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:16 pm

El Cid,

I don't know anything about licenses for driving cars, but my three teenagers have all taken the test and got their moto licenses.

The driving school insisted that they had residencia, but as I knew of another teenager who had taken the test without having residencia, I stood my ground. A few phone calls were made and I was then told that it was only necessary to have an NIE number. Actually now I think about it, they may also have needed an empadronmiento (can say it but not spell it),certificate, but they definitely didn't have residencia.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:10 pm

Thanks for that info Marina.

The Trafico website clearly says that driving licences, including Moto licences are only available to residents.

I can only assume that in this case, a padron is sufficient to prove residency.

I guess that with most drivers of motos being completely illegal, they are happy to licence anyone who asks!

Sid

travelinggoob

Postby travelinggoob » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:27 am

um where would i get a medical certificate from??? i didnt realise i needed one of those :oops:
thanks for all info chaps i will go and check it out next week and report back on what the procedure is :D

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:34 am

Dotted around most towns you will find private medical centres advertising usually in their windows that they carry out medical tests for drivers etc. Where do you live? Somebody may know where to go locally to you.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:07 am

Not all the health centres are able to carry our the medicals, apparently they have to be licensed for this purpose. We used Clinica Rincon. The driving school that you are going to use will be able to advise you.

Deewebs
Tourist

Postby Deewebs » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:42 pm

Read the previous posts and still uncertain about the whole situation.

My 16 year old son has a UK provisional license and a CBT pass certificate. He now wishes to purchase a Spanish plated 50cc moped for use whilst in Spain. He also has an NIE number but not residencia.

Can he buy a moped, insure it and then ride it legally in Spain? Nobody that i talk to seems to be certain of this?

Regards
Colin
Never be afraid to attempt something new.
Always remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:02 pm

The UK provisional licence will mean nothing in Spain.

As I said earlier, you can get a Licencia de Conducción from Trafico for a Moped. Its not the same as a full licence which is a Permiso de Conducción.

From what Marina said, it seems you don't need official residencia but you do need to be on the padron. What is actually says on the DGT website is that you have to have your normal residence in Spain. I guess they are prepared to accept a padron certificate to prove that you live here.

A local gestor should sort the whole thing out for you.

Sid

Deewebs
Tourist

Postby Deewebs » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is the "Padron"?

Regards

Colin
Never be afraid to attempt something new.
Always remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:06 pm

Deewebs wrote:Thanks for the reply. Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is the "Padron"?
Every municipality keeps a record of local residents. This has nothing to do woth "residencia". If you have a house in the area or even if you are renting on a long term basis, you can apply to be registered on the "Epadronamiento".

The advantage to the town is that they receive state funding for local amenities (like the local police and health centres) based on the number of "residents".

To register all you need to do is go to your local town hall and produce your passport, NIE details and a copy of your escritura or rental contract and you will be registered. You can apply for a certificate to prove that you are a resident. They will charge you a couple of euros for the certificate.

There are no "hidden agendas" about income tax etc. You can spend two weeks of the year in Spain and still be eligible to register. One problem that some of the coastal areas have is that they have a large number of properties owned by Spaniards as holiday homes. Unfortunately, as you can only be registered on one "Padron", they cannot apply to be registered for their holiday home.

It is in everyones interest to be registered on the padron. I cannot understand why it is not made compulsory for those that are eligible! In fact, in some areas, Benalmadena in particular, registered residents get significant reductions in their local taxes!

Sid

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:47 am

Our daughter purchased a moped and all you require to purchase a vehicle is a NIE number same for a moped or a car. People own vehicles that do not live in Spain. The driving licence is obvbiously a different issue!
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!