Learning Spanish

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Learning Spanish

Postby amheuwr » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:38 pm

I have completed the Michel Thomas CD's and found them very tedious. Am currently halfway through the Linguaphone allTalk series and have found it to be a much better experience. You actually hear Spaniards talking, which is much better. This is only my personal opinion, for what it is worth.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:44 am

Watching Spanish TV would boost your language skills.. especially the adverts as there are many and they are repeated so often that it makes it easy learning...there are also some good programs ..like "Redes"
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

learning Spanish

Postby hillybilly » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:02 pm

One of the most useful books I have is "Breaking Out of Beginner's Spanish" by Joseph J Keenan. It contains loads of hints, words and phrases etc which you can throw in to your Spanish conversations in order to sound "more Spanish". Since I read it I started to use "pues", "es que", "a ver", "por cierto" etc with general abandon (they are great for "buying time").
And for slang and swearwords try "Pardon my Spanish".

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby amheuwr » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:19 pm

silver wrote:Watching Spanish TV would boost your language skills.. especially the adverts as there are many and they are repeated so often that it makes it easy learning...there are also some good programs ..like "Redes"
I listen to Spanish Radio over the internet and find it very useful. The more I listen the more words I am able to pick up on.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:26 pm

And for slang and swearwords try "Pardon my Spanish"
I´m sure this would prove very useful as both are used frequently by all.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

mivste
Tourist

Postby mivste » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:32 pm

Amheuwr... how, or more precisely where, would I get Spanish radio on the Internet? Like to give it a go for improving my pronounciation.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:54 pm

This website http://mendoza777.en.eresmas.com/emisoras_de_radio.htm gives you a link to the Spanish language radio stations of the world. Click on the link to go to their page and there will be instructions for listening on the internet.

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Another link

Postby amheuwr » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:42 pm

I use the links at this page. Because I am interested in the Cadiz region have been listening to Canal Fiesta recently. Reminds me of our summer hols.