The Iznajar region

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
tony smith

The Iznajar region

Postby tony smith » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:02 am

Hi everyone. New user here. I am looking for some information and I would be very grateful for any help that can be offered.Our family is seriously considering emigration to the Iznajar region and we have done a fair bit of research already.Our idea is to rent a property for approx 6 months in order to "suss" out the perfect spot for us to purchase,whether this may be ruin project or somewhere that we can live in as it is.Any comments regarding the areawould be great,together with climate both summer and winter.
The main reason for writing however is because we have a 7 year old daughter who is physically disabled and is in a wheelchair. She is fully intelligent and is in main stream school in the UK.She obviously has certain things provided for her because of her disability and we were wondering what provision ,if any, is available in Spain.
She has her wheelchair providedtogether with special splints and footwear and also receives help in school with her mobility needs(ie transfer from wheelchair to school equipment,getting changed etc)
Is any of this provided in Spain? Is it provided free or is there any charge?
(this wouldn't be a problem)Would she be able to attend a mainstream school?
Any help regarding my daughter would be greatly appreciated, even if it is only addresses of the various agencies that could provide the info that we require.
Many thanks.
Tony smith and family. :D

Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kelly4 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:48 pm

Hi Tony

I'm sure you've already thought of this but if you haven't visited Iznajar you might not be aware of how very steep the streets are there. I find it impossible with a young baby in a pushchair, so I would certainly not recommend it in terms of wheelchair accessibility.

With regard to schooling, you can usually expect services like Physio/OT/SALT to be provided free of charge within the state school system. Although not quite as strictly enforced as in some parts of the UK, the Spanish education system does have an inclusion policy. It SHOULD therefore be possible for your daughter to attend a mainstream school but you may find you have to fight for it...depending on the individual school, the facilities they already have in place to cater for wheelchair users, the philosophy of the local town hall/education department and the presence of what they may deem to be more appropriate alternatives nearby (Special Schools), etc.

I really would suggest that you do some more research into the options available to your daughter before you settle on a location, even if you're only planning to rent there for 6 months. If you would like some help with searching for a school, please PM me and I'll be happy to make a few phonecalls for you.

Best of luck,

Kelly

paulellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby paulellis » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:56 am

Hi Tony,

We purchased between Salinas & Tapia earlier this year. Only 5 mins from Iznajar. I have to agree with feedback already given, Iznajar village itself is not somewhere I would contemplate having to use wheelchair, buggy, etc.

Having said, that, you don't actually say you would be looking to buy in a village or town. We purchased in the Campo & are more than happy with it, even though plans include having both my elderly parents living with us. I would certainly recommend the area & have nothing but praise for both the ex-pats & locals we have met to date. Everyone has been very approachable & friendly (some knowledge of even basic Spanish would be helpful & we would have struggled were it not for a Spanish friend & German language teacher as a neighbour). If you have already started research, you are probably aware of this, but many of the towns/villages in the area are quite hilly, so bear that in mind.

If you want to pm me, I'll give you some contacts who may be able to help