Animal welfare info

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Animal welfare info

Postby hillybilly » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:23 pm

I recently encountered a (not uncommon unfortunately) situation where five small dogs had been left tied up on short chains up at an unoccupied house with little shelter and stagnant water to drink...the dogs were not in good condition.
Knowing that this situation contravenes the new(ish) law concerning the welfare of animals here but not knowing quite how to go about doing anything about it (this being some way from home, in another province) I contacted an organisation called ANAA (Asociación Nacional Amigos de los Animales www.anaaweb.org - their site also has useful info, much of it in English, re Leishmaniasis, pet insurance etc). They told me how to make a denuncia to SEPRONA, the relevant arm of the Guardia Civil.
If anyone else finds themselves in a similar predicament the email address you need to write to is [email protected] with as much info as possible inc full address and photos if poss.
I don't yet know the outcome but have been informed it is being dealt with. Will keep you posted.
This is not meant to start a debate on the rights and wrongs of animal husbandry in Spain but merely to pass on the relevant info.

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:56 pm

What a fantastic site, I found some very useful info, thanks for sharing that Hilly..........I found another pal for our dogs too, then I discovered they are based in Madrid :cry: I guess we've got to look a bit closer to home.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:28 pm

Yes thanks Hillybilly that is a great site and very useful. Also Poshtotti there is a site called www.casnerja.org where you could find another chum for your other dogs they are always looking for homes for both dogs and cats and Nerja is not too far from you! :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:35 pm

Posh totti, there is ADANA in Estepona, don't know if they have a web site but they have monthly coffee mornings outside Longmans bookshop. Also Triple A Marbella, (AAAhelps.com) or ace-charity.org (have a look at the dog rescued from Antequera would touch even the hardest heart :cry:

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:57 pm

Thank you so much for that info.

I contacted AAA helps, what an organisation! - I went up there & picked up a 3 year old rotti for a companion for a friends dog, she's a lovely dog & loves her new home. How these charities support themselves is a mystery to me, circa 180 dogs & 80 cats there now & food bills are +€15,000 a month!!! The rotti was €150 including all jabs, microchip & sterilization, crazy.

I was so taken by the charity I will be going there on a weekly basis to help out, I've talked my other half into coming to do some handy work for them & another friend is coming to help out too. The only condition of my helping out is that I am not to bring any of the animals home! :roll: We'll see......... :wink:

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:33 pm

Poshtotti, you and/or your partner or both are diamonds. I go to PADS as often as possible and my wife and I have done boot fares for them and raised a small amount of money but nevertheless to a good cause.
I salute you.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.