Fresh Milk

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Shukran
Resident

Fresh Milk

Postby Shukran » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:49 pm

Is there such a thing in Spain?

Whenever we've visited we were unable to find fresh milk - only that awful long-life stuff.

:(
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

spain_pam
Tourist

Postby spain_pam » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:23 pm

You can buy fresh milk in the supermarkets. Our village shop has fresh milk in ´plastic bags´ only full cream though. I can manage the Asturiana (blue box) long life milk, not as smelly as the others

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:34 pm

We've looked in the supermarkets in Baza but not found any yet. Also searched in the Vera area but nothing. We were thinking that perhaps it may only be available in the larger supermarkets on the coast, in which case we'll buy a stock and freeze it.

We'll have another look just in case things have changed in the last 6 months since we were there.

Thanks, I'll remember the blue box just in case.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:16 pm

You need to look for 'leche del día' The only problem is that it doesn't last for very long even if you keep it in the 'fridge.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:20 pm

It’s surprising just how quickly you get used to “that awful long life-stuff”, honest!!! :D

spain_pam
Tourist

Postby spain_pam » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:35 pm

I can even say I actually enjoy my cup of tea in bed every morning with the ´blue box´ milk now!!

tom floyd
Tourist

fresh milk

Postby tom floyd » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:24 pm

We buy ours in Antequera at the Mercadona store opposite Lidl's or in Eroski store.Means a trip to buy fresh milk as neither of us can stand UHT milk,but still want to enjoy cornflakes! We both drink tea and coffee without milk,but breakfast cereal for us means fresh milk is needed!! Just remember to check best before dates,as stock rotation leaves a little to be desired! Both whole and seme skimmed are available at both stores in Antequera...not sure of other branches.

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:46 pm

mercadona in Albox , certainly have sold fresh milk, but ont know about the one in Baza, and Intermarche in Vera have also had it. I dont buy it any more, so havent looked or noticed it elsewhere.
Fresh goats milk you could probably get hold of fom any local goat farmer should you be interested in that.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:03 pm

fresh milk is in the fridge area - near the butter etc.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:39 am

I don't actually live in Spain at the moment, but I will as of the end of this month, if I might make a suggestion, I've asked a couple of questions over the last couple of days regarding Halal products and received some positive answers, perhaps I can give something back to the forum.
If you want fresh milk you could try a Halal outlet such as I have been searching for, I've been told there are such places in Torre del Mar and Mãlaga, many muslims will not accept sterilised or long life milk so we often get ours at the Halal shop, maybe this information will come in useful to you.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:25 pm

for your information, theres a halal butchers by the underground car park in torrimilinos.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:35 am

there is an Halal butcher in the indoor market in Malaga, saw it the other day, the meat looked very good. There is loads of other meat, fruit , veg and fish stalls in the building too.

jazper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jazper » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:25 am

Shukran
"Mr UK" on Mojacar Playa gets a delivery of Cravendale once a week. Its normally gone in 2 days though.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:34 am

Thanks everybody for your input. I've written down the Leche Del Dia and Asturiana blue box and will persevere with my search and will also keep my eyes open for any Halal outlet.

Mojacar is a little far to travel but thanks for your reply Jazper. It started the cogs moving and I've just remembered that a UK shop was due to open in Baza just after we left last May. Let's hope it's now up and running - that could solve my problem until I get used to the other 'stuff'.