solar panels or generators for electricity

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

solar panels or generators for electricity

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:44 pm

Can I have views on the above, are they efficient? Can you run a fridge/tv/lighting and the pc off of them with no problem? What happens if there is no sunshine like today? :shock: (OK I know we need the rain! :D ) thanks in advance

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:51 pm

If you want to see a complete system up and running contact Grupo RCL nr Ronda, 952874195 or 656 836 777 (Edwin).
You will need a back up to a solar electricity generating system - either a generator or wind turbine. Or both.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:22 pm

It's more efficient to use solar power to heat your hot water system than convert the sunlight to electricity and the systems to do this are also much cheaper than photo voltaics. It is quite feasible to build your own system and you will find a stack of info on the web.
Grouser

mike507
Andalucia.com Amigo

solar

Postby mike507 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:48 pm

The sun in Spain is never long hiding behind a cloud so don't worry about that. I have two solar panels and they run about 20 bulbs no problem and could do more. p.c tv no problem. For a fridge you'd need one on its own. Heavy users are hairdryers firdges and washmachines.About 9 panels would run just about everything you'd need for an average household. Initial cost is high but then its a great feeling that its all free from then on in! plus environmentally friendly and maintenance free.
Mike

accommodation-in-spain
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby accommodation-in-spain » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:58 pm

My Dad has a generator which runs to top up a battery which lights the house and supplies electricity for things like cd players etc. He then also has solar panels to keep the battery topped up. He has a gas fridge/freezer and also uses gas for hot water. This combination has worked well for years. Not sure of the technical set up of it but I could find out if you wanted to know.

It can be done though and is well worth looking into.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:38 pm

If we buy a house that has existing solar panels and they need ´upgrading´ can you get a government grant on this or is it just for new?
Thanks

Juliet Coles
Tourist

Solar energy

Postby Juliet Coles » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:11 pm

I am also looking into this as an option and I have been quoted €21000 for a system that will run everything, including the kitchen sink (!), well maybe not, but will run the wahing machine and fridge/freezer. However, that price does not include a back up genny, but does include installation with all the normal safety levels that you would expect from a mains wired house in the UK. Trouble is, I have no idea whether this is a competitive price for a 90m2 property. does anyone have any price comparisons?
Jules

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:21 pm

Jules,

Have you looked into getting a connection to the Spanish electricity grid?
I would only consider solar electric if it is cheaper than paying for a proper grid connection.