smokey fireplace

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

smokey fireplace

Postby kelly » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:08 am

anyone got any good tips in creating good draw for smoke up the chimney. I have a fairly standard 80*80 cm square fireplace,with one of those metal flaps on a chain that obviously has to be opened that one tends to see in Spanish houses problem is when i start the fire i get a lot of smoke in the living room. Does a good sweep solve the problem or one of those fire bricks I have seen in the supermarkets or am i trying to start the fire by putting to much wood and paper on in the first place i wonder..any ideas welcome so we dont freeze this winter..

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:46 am

Could be your chimney's a bit blocked after last year? Try a product called "DESHOLLIN" a "destructor del alquitran y del hollin". Instructions on the tub for use, from all good ferreterias! €8 per 1kg.
Depending on your situation, make sure nobody's built anything close to your chimney which could now be preventing a draw eg a new storey on the house next door - it does happen! In which case you'll have to increase the height of your chimney.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:04 pm

If cleaning the chimney doesn’t have much effect, try opening a door or a window, because, if hot air and smoke are to go up the chimney, new air has to come into the room to replace it, if this works, then ventilation is a problem.