Car tax before or after Spanish registration?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
geegee
Resident

Car tax before or after Spanish registration?

Postby geegee » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:39 am

On my way to Spanish plates, got Baja de Residencia, Ficha Tecnica and ITV and about to face Trafico in Malaga...

Trafico form seems to say you need your local car tax receipt from the Ayuntamiento to apply for plates - but how can you get spanish car tax without first getting spanish plates???!!!

Advice appreciated - thanks

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 pm

Have you informed the townhall that you have a vehicle?
My car tax came with my annual IBI tax and I was most surprised!!
Go and see them and see what they can do for you.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:00 pm

Keddyboy, do you mean that you are paying circulation tax on a foreign registered vehicle? I think geegee's vehicle is currently on UK plates and she is going through the importation procedure in which case it will not be registered with her local town hall.

Geegee, I have just had a look on the DGT web site and that is certainly what it states but it is unlikely that you can pay Spanish circulation tax on a foreign registered vehicle.

I would guess that someone has left this paragraph in by mistake as requirements for some of the other procedures are very similar.

Maybe someone will come up with a personal experience but, failing that, perhaps you could get someone to telephone your local DGT and clarify before you go.

chicdiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Car tax before/after Spanish registration.

Postby chicdiz » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:23 pm

Geegee - we were in just your situation recently when at the Trafico office in Cadiz re our L/H drive Land Rover. The only solution the office came up with was to pay an admin fee for temporary (3 weeks) plates, pay to have the plates made, pay the road tax and reapply for permanent plates....another admin fee, permanent plates payment - and we had to hand the temporary plates in to the Trafico Office.

Good luck with yours.

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:20 pm

Hi all, thanks all for your experiences. However, RESULT! Took Keddy Boy's advice and simply went to the Ayuntamiento and asked - they seemed a bit bemused but allowed me to pay the circulation tax - yes, for a still-foriegn registered car...

Their main prob was bafflement over the type of car (Smart convertible) and whether it was worth charging me at all - 45 euros after much debate. Had to convince them it was not electric and yes, it really did go fast enough to go on the autovia - they lead a sheltered life here on the campo...

Will report back on whether Trafico actually ask for it or not!